Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation > Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-13, 06:40 PM   #436
tuanb2013
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
tuanb2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Il
Posts: 7
Cool 2002 GS300 Engine Light on, VSC, VSC Lights OFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by az-dave View Post
Its also possible its the Accelrator Pedal Sensor on the back side of the Throttle Body (what the cable attaches to) - its also called the "Lever Assembly".

There have been about 50/50 people being one or the other.

Just fyi so if the motor doesnt fix it, its almost certainly that sensor.

AZ-Dave, Again today my car was "stuttering" and engine was not running smooth like before, it was shaking when I stopped. This happens after i've been driving for about 10mins. Now it also put out a little white smoke. Today I took my car into PEP Boys and they said I might need to replace the "Valve Timing Control Assembly" code 9327403, and the labor for that is $474.60. So...Do you think its the Throttle Control Motor/Accelerator Pedal Sensor, or what PEP Boys said "Valve Timing Control Assembly?" Please help I'm confused ! I'm going to have another mechanic look it it. Thanks.

Tuanb2013
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
tuanb2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-13, 07:28 PM   #437
tuanb2013
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
tuanb2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Il
Posts: 7
Default

AZ-Dave,
The Acceleration Pedal Sensor-AKA Lever Assembly is that the same as Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)?

Thanks!
tuanb2013
tuanb2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-13, 05:46 AM   #438
burny
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanb2013 View Post
AZ-Dave,
The Acceleration Pedal Sensor-AKA Lever Assembly is that the same as Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)?

Thanks!
tuanb2013
No. The TPS sits on the front of the TB to the right of the Throttle control motor. The APPS sits in the back where the throttle cable connects to it.
burny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 07:43 PM   #439
duster
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 97
Default Update as Promised

I am told that Lexus corporate approved the repair at their cost under this specific program. Car will be repaired and throttle body cleaned. ClubLexus saved me again! Thanks everyone.
duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 11:16 AM   #440
CrooperJ
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: WA
Posts: 23
Default

The information for the customer support program can be found here:

http://www.toyotaelsettlement.com/Home/FAQ#8d
CrooperJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 02:34 PM   #441
tuanb2013
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
tuanb2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Il
Posts: 7
Default

Took my GS300 into PEP BOYS because of Engine Light On, VSC and VSC Light Off on. The Code I got from Pep Boys is: P1346 VVT Sensor Circuit Range fault / Performance Bank1, and P1349 VVT System Fault Bank1.

Pep Boys recommend that I "Remove & Replace Valve Timing Control Assembly" which will cost me $474.60 just for labor. I don't know if Pep Boys is correct? My GS300 has the same problems as AZ-Dave described on his 98 GS300. [ Should I just buy the Idle Air Control Motor aka- Idle Control Valve, and replace that part? ] You think that would fix the problem? Looking forward to your answers....

tuanb2013
tuanb2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 12:05 AM   #442
zman32
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 17
Default

I'm Currently experiencing this with my GS300 so I took it to a local mechanic. After a bit of poking around, it seems his test lighter lights up at the Acc pedal sensor plug (behind the throttle body), however theres no signal on the plug for the Electrical motor.

Does this mean the Acceleration Pedal Sensor-AKA Lever Assembly is faulty?
zman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-14, 08:54 AM   #443
az-dave
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
az-dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 344
Default

Do this first: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/perf...filter-13.html

Replace the OCV Valve, it requires virtually no work, super easy, 1 bolt, dont have to take engine apart.

What Pep Boys is suggesting is the VVTi System, which is actually the VVTi Cam Pully, and requires a timing belt change.

Most likely NOT the problem...that Cam is virtually impossible to break, and if not leaking oil out of the pulley, then its most like the OCV Valve. Also check the OCV filter to make sure its not gunked up...if it is, it will cause all those codes. Filter super easy to check, look at post #1-10 of that same thread.

hopefully it works and saves you $400 :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanb2013 View Post
Took my GS300 into PEP BOYS because of Engine Light On, VSC and VSC Light Off on. The Code I got from Pep Boys is: P1346 VVT Sensor Circuit Range fault / Performance Bank1, and P1349 VVT System Fault Bank1.

Pep Boys recommend that I "Remove & Replace Valve Timing Control Assembly" which will cost me $474.60 just for labor. I don't know if Pep Boys is correct? My GS300 has the same problems as AZ-Dave described on his 98 GS300. [ Should I just buy the Idle Air Control Motor aka- Idle Control Valve, and replace that part? ] You think that would fix the problem? Looking forward to your answers....

tuanb2013
__________________
2013 GS359 Pearl White - WOW!!! and still have my 98 GS300 - 268K+ miles original engine! Lets see how long she lasts!
az-dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-14, 08:59 AM   #444
az-dave
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
az-dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 344
Default

All of the signals are PWM (Pulse-Width-Modulated), so you cant just test with a light or a normal volt meter. YOu have to test Duty Cycle with engine running.

That being said, only a handful of people know how to properly take readings on the sensors...and the engine must be running and the sensor plugged in...so makes taking reading even harder.

You have a 50-50 chance of it being either the Accel Pedal sensor AKA Lever Assembly, or the Controller Motor.

Probably more like the Sensor not the controller motor. and Almost certainly not the TPS sensor, which is the ONLY thing the "experts" at a lexus dealership can or will test...anything else and they want to replace the ENTIRE throttle body...experts...lol

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman32 View Post
I'm Currently experiencing this with my GS300 so I took it to a local mechanic. After a bit of poking around, it seems his test lighter lights up at the Acc pedal sensor plug (behind the throttle body), however theres no signal on the plug for the Electrical motor.

Does this mean the Acceleration Pedal Sensor-AKA Lever Assembly is faulty?
__________________
2013 GS359 Pearl White - WOW!!! and still have my 98 GS300 - 268K+ miles original engine! Lets see how long she lasts!
az-dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 02:55 AM   #445
zman32
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 17
Default

tried this on the APPS but to no avail http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...6/#entry465953
so now I'm gonna hunt around for a used APPS.
I Discovered the Supras, crowns, chasers and soarers (98-2000, VVTi, non-turbos) use the same APPS.
http://www.toyo diy.com/parts/xref?s...on&mJ=on&mG=on

Hopefully I can find it cheaper than what Australian dealers are asking - USD$650 for the APPS

edit: I just remembered something, the local mechanic removed the TPS from my TB but reinstalled it again. Does this mean I need to readjust the TPS?

Last edited by zman32; 01-07-14 at 04:28 PM..
zman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 03:41 PM   #446
az-dave
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
az-dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 344
Default

Holy crap thats expensive. Im sure the Supra ones will work, same TB and engine, as long as its pre 2001. After than things started changing.

Many of the people on the forum got them online, not from dealers...maybe worth checking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman32 View Post
tried this on the APPS but to no avail http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...6/#entry465953
so now I'm gonna hunt around for a used APPS.
I Discovered the Supras, crowns, chasers and soarers (98-2000, VVTi, non-turbos) use the same APPS.
http://www.toyo diy.com/parts/xref?s...on&mJ=on&mG=on

Hopefully I can find it cheaper than what Australian dealers are asking - USD$650 for the APPS
__________________
2013 GS359 Pearl White - WOW!!! and still have my 98 GS300 - 268K+ miles original engine! Lets see how long she lasts!
az-dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 04:20 PM   #447
burny
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrooperJ View Post
The information for the customer support program can be found here:

http://www.toyotaelsettlement.com/Home/FAQ#8d
Wonder if I can get reimbursed for the Throttle control motor and the APPS that I have purchased seperately over the past few years? I put them on myself so no labor costs involved.I was damn near killed when I pulled out into traffic and the car would not accelerate.
burny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-14, 01:41 AM   #448
zman32
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 17
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by az-dave View Post
Holy crap thats expensive. Im sure the Supra ones will work, same TB and engine, as long as its pre 2001. After than things started changing.

Many of the people on the forum got them online, not from dealers...maybe worth checking?
Picked up a Supra TB for USD$140! All 3 supporting parts on the TB are the same as the GS300.
So up until this point my engine check and VSC light comes on as soon as I start the car , even after i've resetted the ECU.

First part I replaced was the APPS from the Supra. Cleaned throttle body. Reset ECU. Does not work.
I then swapped in the Supra's TCM. Reset ECU. Still does not work.
Then swapped the TPS. Reset ECU. Still does NOT work. Throttle is still f'd!
And now the engine is idling at 1700 rpm, even after limping around the block for 10 minutes.

So I then decided to plug in the original Lexus TCM and placed it in view of the drivers seat just to see if the motor works when I start the engine. It does spin, so I decided to swap it back into the Throttle body.

At this point theres only the Supra's APPS attached. All other parts are the original Lexus ones.
And now when I actually start the engine, the engine check and VSC lights do NOT come on until I step on the accelerator (The engine responds normally for a fraction of a second and up to 2000rpms before reverting back to a dead throttle with the VSC and engine check lights lighting up)

I'm at a loss as to what it could be.
Could it be the wiring? ECU?
Keep in mind the my mechanic's scanner only brought up the code (p1120 or 1121) something about the throttle sensors. Cant remember which one.

edit: adjusted TPS to read 0.7V, restarted the ECU which brought idle down to 1000 rpm but returns to 1700rpm when engine warms up.

Last edited by zman32; 01-08-14 at 07:03 PM..
zman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-14, 10:35 PM   #449
4doorscore
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
4doorscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 43
ayye_omar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman32 View Post
Picked up a Supra TB for USD$140! All 3 supporting parts on the TB are the same as the GS300.
So up until this point my engine check and VSC light comes on as soon as I start the car , even after i've resetted the ECU.

First part I replaced was the APPS from the Supra. Cleaned throttle body. Reset ECU. Does not work.
I then swapped in the Supra's TCM. Reset ECU. Still does not work.
Then swapped the TPS. Reset ECU. Still does NOT work. Throttle is still f'd!
And now the engine is idling at 1700 rpm, even after limping around the block for 10 minutes.

So I then decided to plug in the original Lexus TCM and placed it in view of the drivers seat just to see if the motor works when I start the engine. It does spin, so I decided to swap it back into the Throttle body.

At this point theres only the Supra's APPS attached. All other parts are the original Lexus ones.
And now when I actually start the engine, the engine check and VSC lights do NOT come on until I step on the accelerator (The engine responds normally for a fraction of a second and up to 2000rpms before reverting back to a dead throttle with the VSC and engine check lights lighting up)

I'm at a loss as to what it could be.
Could it be the wiring? ECU?
Keep in mind the my mechanic's scanner only brought up the code (p1120 or 1121) something about the throttle sensors. Cant remember which one.

edit: adjusted TPS to read 0.7V, restarted the ECU which brought idle down to 1000 rpm but returns to 1700rpm when engine warms up.
From what I heard today, if you have replaced all sensors and the throttle control motor and the problem isn't solved the culprit will be your ecu sir.
4doorscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-14, 10:37 PM   #450
4doorscore
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
4doorscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 43
ayye_omar
Default

Hey guys it's a pretty random question but I'm sure some of you guys have gone through this. I need to replace the 3 screws that screw the throttle control motor in because mine are pretty stripped. Anyone know where to find these or the specs (length, thread pitch).
4doorscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-14, 10:37 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
1998, 300, accelerator, change, gs, gs400, lexus, light, limp, ls400, mode, pedal, position, sensor, trouble, vsc

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Could my throttle body be the culprit? MrHimbert GS - Second Generation 57 09-01-14 12:41 AM
I am having throttle position sensor and throttle motor problems Luxor Performance & Maintenance 25 07-28-14 04:45 PM
CA FS: 98-05 GS300 Throttle Body (parts or repair) ElitistK 2Gen GS430 / 400/ 300 Classifieds (98-05) 5 06-09-13 11:38 AM
TPS sensor and Idle Valve lexus-is2 IS - Second Generation 0 05-07-13 12:40 PM
This is really starting to piss me off.. Need help again. (Throttle Issues) LuxuryGS3 GS - Second Generation 19 04-21-13 11:31 AM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:54 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info