Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-09, 12:32 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Im going to be trying to find the part number here soon...reason: Im gunna rebuild my old TB and sell it, since once the motor is replaced it should last another 50-100K miles.

I will post when I find it.

Been driving for 1-1/2 yrs since I replaced my old motor with the one in the donar TB.
Old 08-28-09, 12:48 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

The Lexus OEM Part NUmber:89672-30020 = $293.54 from Lexus Dealer (Confirmed Arrowhead Lexus of Arizona, Aug 28, 2009)

Lexus name: "Throttle Control Motor" (Official part name)

Other part name aliases: "Idle AIR control motor" -or- "Idle AIR control valve motor"

Here are some Non-Lexus OEM Part Numbers:
AIRTEX: 2H1145
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS: AC555
WELLS: AC4194
Old 08-28-09, 01:02 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Default Image of the Throttle Control Motor

FYI everyone.

ISnt it nice how Lexus dealers cant even diagnose this stuff properly.

First thing they do is start spending YOUR money of the TPS, then the APS, then they want $$$ to look at the ECU....they never bother testing this electric motor.

Arg.
Attached Thumbnails VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode-throttle-control-motor.jpg  
Old 08-29-09, 11:35 AM
oooshkin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know a site where I can get the "Accellerator Pedal Sensor" ???
I've looked in RockAuto parts and I dont seem to be able to locate the part.

The Toyota parts ref: is Lever Assembly, Throttle with Sensor.
#22060-46010

I am starting to feel its even harder to get than the Idle Valve Motor ><"
Old 08-29-09, 01:38 PM
GS300-2002
Pole Position

Originally Posted by az-dave
I wanted to start a thread specifically about failures within the throttle body concerning the GS300 (1998 in my case)

My symptons were:
VSC, VSC OFF, and ENGINE Lights would come on, followed by my car going into "Limp" Mode, where only that last 25% (if that) of the throttle would respond (basically have to floor the pedal to even move at all).

During the mornings, or when the engine was COLD, the throttle operated normal...then once the car warmed up, usually at about 10 mins, the problem would start...it happened intermitantly at first...1 or 2 days over the course of a week, then it became more consitent, until last week it became a daily problem.

The first part I tried was the Throttle Position sensor, which is on the front side of the throttle body, and the easiest thing to replace...this didnt help at all. $300 part from Lexus, $80 part from RockAuto.com (exacly same part toyota OEM)

THE PART THAT FIXED THE PROBLEM:
===========================================
"THROTTLE CONTROL Motor", which is the long-larger electrical object next to the TPS on a 98 GS300. Problem is solved.
Lexus Part: The Lexus OEM Part NUmber:89672-30020 = $293.54 from Lexus Dealer (Confirmed Arrowhead Lexus of Arizona, Aug 28, 2009)

The Codes I got were P1120 and P1121 - Accelerator Sensor problem. However it wasnt really the Accelerator Sensor, it was the electrical Motor that controls the opening of the Butterfly valve inside the Throttle body.

I found the problem by good old trouble shooting, and using an ohm meter to see if the throttle electric motor was getting voltage, I found that the elec motor just to the left of the TPS was basically freaking out and shutting down. The Accelerator Pedal Sensor is on the Back-side of the throttle body where the throttle cable connects to, and has a spring on it. It was fine.

GS300's are indeed "drive by wire" concerning the throttle...the cable triggers the Accel Pedal Sensor, which sends a signal to the ECU, the ECU then sends power to the Idel Valve Elec Motor (next to the TPS), which opens and closes the mechanical butterfly valve, then thru a set of internal gears, the TPS sensor detects how far the elec motor is actually opening the butterfly valve...its a closed-loop feed-back system, meaning any failure in any sensor will cause the entire systm to fail.

The throttle cable apparently is ONLY there to allow the fail-safe of having that last 10-25% throttle when the electronic system fails...there is a gearbox inside the throtle body which allows the tail end of the throttle to manually engage the butterfly valve...the rest of the time, the butterfly valve is 100% opened and closed via the idle control motor.
Are all GS300's Drive by wire? because i was doing some work on the car and disconnected the battery for a good 30 min and with battery still disconnected i put my foot on the accelerator pedal and the throttle cable moved
Old 09-08-09, 11:28 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Talking

Originally Posted by GS300-2002
Are all GS300's Drive by wire? because i was doing some work on the car and disconnected the battery for a good 30 min and with battery still disconnected i put my foot on the accelerator pedal and the throttle cable moved
In the message that I used to start this thread, I explain the "Drive By wire" specifics for 2nd Gen GS's:

GS300's are indeed "drive by wire" concerning the throttle...the cable triggers the Accel Pedal Sensor, which sends a signal to the ECU, the ECU then sends power to the Idel Valve Elec Motor (next to the TPS), which opens and closes the mechanical butterfly valve, then thru a set of internal gears, the TPS sensor detects how far the elec motor is actually opening the butterfly valve...its a closed-loop feed-back system, meaning any failure in any sensor will cause the entire systm to fail.

The cable is a cable...doesnt matter if the battery is connected or not...the cable moves a sensor which then Opens and closes the actual throttle valve via an electric motor.

The last 10-20% of cable movement at Wide open throttle will manually open the throttle valve as a safety "Limp" mode in the even, as this thread is about, the electric throttle system fails. This will let you drive home at 35-40 mph by pressing the throttle all the way to the floor.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-08-09, 11:41 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oooshkin
Does anyone know a site where I can get the "Accellerator Pedal Sensor" ???
I've looked in RockAuto parts and I dont seem to be able to locate the part.

The Toyota parts ref: is Lever Assembly, Throttle with Sensor.
#22060-46010

I am starting to feel its even harder to get than the Idle Valve Motor ><"
Considering Ive now found the Idle Valve motor at Lexus dealership for same price as Rock Auto, I would suggest getting the ACC Pedal sensor from Lexus.
But...I suggest testing the sensor forst...The sensor should change voltage on one of the wires as the cable moves. There is either a +5V or +12V input wire which feeds the signal to the sensor, then there are a few other wires, one of those is the output signal, its voltage will change as the cable turns the sensor...if its voltage changes, then the sensor is good, and most likelt its the TPS or the Throttle control motor.

This can get very expensive, so take the time to diagnose the problem before buying sensors...once opened, they are non-returnable.
Old 12-16-09, 07:21 AM
BGS300
Driver School Candidate

Default Throttle control motor

az-dave,,,,,,,,,, did your replacement of the throttle control motor cure the VSC and ABS lights?

I have a code P1128 "throttle control motor circuit malfunction" and "throtle control motor lock malfunction". I will use your ohm meter test tonight to verify. thanks.
Old 02-08-10, 10:59 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BGS300
az-dave,,,,,,,,,, did your replacement of the throttle control motor cure the VSC and ABS lights?

I have a code P1128 "throttle control motor circuit malfunction" and "throtle control motor lock malfunction". I will use your ohm meter test tonight to verify. thanks.
YES - Replacing ONLY the motor, not the Accel pedal Sensor, or Throttle Position sensor Fixed my problem for good.

I bought en entire Throttle Body from Greenleaf off a 2002 GS with only 55K miles, so I figured the elec motor would last a while.

I did that because before I trouble-shot this problem there was No good threads on this problem, and the Lexus deal (stealer) ships wants Lots of money to Diagnose the problem, and they suggested starting with each sensor...doing it THEIR way would have resulted in them telling me to buy an entire new Throttle Body for...$1500+/- Plus all the precious labot and parts.

Not exactly a good way to fix things in my book...The ought to have 1 good test sensor at the dealer to use to see if the existing sensor is the problem.

Lexus dealers also wont just replce that motor...you know how they work.

Cheers!
Old 02-09-10, 07:59 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Had the same problem around fall of last year. Need to change your TPS. Throttle position sensor. This isn't an easy fix. You need to have a smart machine. This ensures the right voltage on idle, start, and when the car's not running. You'll need to remove your Throttle body in order to gain access to this.

Be careful! The screws holding this thing in place are very delicate. Using the wrong tool can strip the heads of the screws, and you'll be SCREWED!
Old 02-09-10, 10:11 AM
90max
Driver School Candidate

smh...when i started my wtb thread i asked for the same part and someone said its not seperate lol smh.... oh well just purchased another throttle i gues it was cheaper fix temporary i guess but great thread OP

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...if-needed.html
Old 02-09-10, 12:17 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

The TPS is not always the problem, and Many times is not the problem.

The Error Codes that LEXUS Dealers will give you will Indicate the TPS or Accellerator Pedal, Even if its actually the Motor.

For this reason, testing needs to be performed prior to buying a TPS - Because if its not really the TPS, and you install an electronic part, like the TPS, you Cant return it, and the problem keeps going.

I know - I replaced the TPS and it wasnt the problem.

[QUOTE=UncleRay;5212483]Had the same problem around fall of last year. Need to change your TPS. Throttle position sensor. ...QUOTE]
Old 02-09-10, 12:23 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Lexus Diagnostics read lots of Codes that even the Mechanics at the Dealer dont know the actual "Cause" of the problem - Just what the Result of the Problem is.

Ive noticed even the dealers like to just keep on replacing parts based on the Code until one of the parts does the trick....after they suggested an entire Throttle Body, I asked "And if that doesnt work then what"
Lexus Reply: "Then we would suggest replacing the entire ECU computer"
To which I asked "Ok, so if the Throttle Body isnt really the problem at that point, but you installed it, do I get a refund"
Lexus reply: "Nope"
After that Ive never bother taking any of my 2 Lexus's to a dealer again - they know less than I know, and its a crooked way of doing business imho.

Ive been driving on my new motor for 2 years now.

Ive taken the old motor apart, and I think its just the brushes that needed replacing, Im going to repair it, and if it works I will keep it as a spare. Its a pretty complex electric motor...not a normal one for sure.
The following users liked this post:
engin_ear (01-12-22)
Old 02-09-10, 01:29 PM
nu2lexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by az-dave
I wanted to start a thread specifically about failures within the throttle body concerning the GS300 (1998 in my case)

My symptons were:
VSC, VSC OFF, and ENGINE Lights would come on, followed by my car going into "Limp" Mode, where only that last 25% (if that) of the throttle would respond (basically have to floor the pedal to even move at all).

During the mornings, or when the engine was COLD, the throttle operated normal...then once the car warmed up, usually at about 10 mins, the problem would start...it happened intermitantly at first...1 or 2 days over the course of a week, then it became more consitent, until last week it became a daily problem.

The first part I tried was the Throttle Position sensor, which is on the front side of the throttle body, and the easiest thing to replace...this didnt help at all. $300 part from Lexus, $80 part from RockAuto.com (exacly same part toyota OEM)

THE PART THAT FIXED THE PROBLEM:
===========================================
"THROTTLE CONTROL Motor", which is the long-larger electrical object next to the TPS on a 98 GS300. Problem is solved.
Lexus Part: The Lexus OEM Part NUmber:89672-30020 = $293.54 from Lexus Dealer (Confirmed Arrowhead Lexus of Arizona, Aug 28, 2009)

The Codes I got were P1120 and P1121 - Accelerator Sensor problem. However it wasnt really the Accelerator Sensor, it was the electrical Motor that controls the opening of the Butterfly valve inside the Throttle body.

I found the problem by good old trouble shooting, and using an ohm meter to see if the throttle electric motor was getting voltage, I found that the elec motor just to the left of the TPS was basically freaking out and shutting down. The Accelerator Pedal Sensor is on the Back-side of the throttle body where the throttle cable connects to, and has a spring on it. It was fine.

The throttle cable apparently is ONLY there to allow the fail-safe of having that last 10-25% throttle when the electronic system fails...there is a gearbox inside the throtle body which allows the tail end of the throttle to manually engage the butterfly valve...the rest of the time, the butterfly valve is 100% opened and closed via the idle control motor.
Thanks for the info, this sounds exactly like the problem I am having with my CEL & Code P1121, sounds like the Accel Pedal Sensor is a dealer only item. Is this correct? & how hard/easy were they to change? TIA
Old 02-09-10, 10:11 PM
conroegs
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im havin the same problem but my car hiccups and acceleration goes up..i cant even cruise it no more..could this be the problem? lmk if so ima order this part and install it myself thanx for the info

Quick Reply: VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode