Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-13, 08:00 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Per your advice, I did look that piece over very closely and mine is fine. Sewell's did agree to replace TCM. I have a new one being shipped today and they sent me a postage paid label to return the other one. This is great customer service folks.!
Old 10-21-13, 01:54 PM
pitchblaq
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great news. Hope all stays well.
Old 11-18-13, 08:07 PM
Shadey
Driver School Candidate

I had my gs430 for about a month and before I knew it. Check engine light. Then vsc / vsc off light a few days later. After searching this forums I decided to try looking at my gas cap. Sure enough the gasket had a crack and it was brittle. Thinking I had solved the problem I went to Lexus parts and bought a $32 gas cap. Well after 200 miles it just got worse. Now it started missing(sputtering). Over it I took it to my machanic. Code reader, miss fire 5 , misfire 7, fuel defusuer?
Turns out the problem was, bad ignition coil on cylinder 5, bad ignition coil cylinder 7. $147.00 in parts, $6 12 pack of sunkis soda, and 3 cheeseburgers and $32 in labor. No check engine light no vsc light. Car runs even stronger
Old 11-19-13, 05:07 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

so you replaced the coil paks?
Old 11-19-13, 03:42 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

usually i would like to read throughout the whole thread but 29 pages is about 15 pages too much i would like to read, i got to page 9 -__-' anyways,

I have TWO CEL's. TAKE NOTE, I AM TELLING YOU THIS BECAUSE THEY DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH EACH OTHER, as some have said earlier on.

when the VSC and CEL is on it's is a p1125, Throttle control motor circuit malfunction,
in which my car has gone into limp mode, twice. I plan to pick up a motor aka Idle air valve control motor soon. I have gotten this code multiple times and I have watched it go away, after time.

then if i have a CEL without the VSC it would one of the two codes of the cat's, yes i had both different catalytic convertor codes, not too worried since i already passed smog. I will be giving them a cleaning before i get new cats first.
Old 11-20-13, 05:28 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Test the harness ont eh TCM and APPS and even the TPS. The specs are in a PDF within the 25 pages you mentioned
Old 11-21-13, 07:25 PM
MrDKyle
Driver School Candidate

Default VSC, ABS, VSC Off Lights. First Step for a Fix ($15)

My VSC, ABS, VSC Off Lights came on in my 2001 GS430 the other day while driving. I pulled over and turned the car off. I pumped the brakes a few times. Turned the car back on and now my dash lights are out too and my airbag light started flashing. I turn it off, went to turn it back on and the car is completely dead, had to jump it. The car would lose all power as I would turn the key off. No interior lights, steering wheel didn't move. Nothing!

I jumped it again and drove it to Autozone for a system inspection. It didn't give any codes. He told me that the problem was the stock negative terminal. He said the stock negative terminal builds up corrosion to fast and doesn't allow the car to get enough power from the battery. I told him I just put a new battery in the car 3 months ago.

He said change the negative terminal to a brass/copper terminal. Clean both post really good. Use this battery cleaner with acid indicator on the posts and terminals. Make sure the terminals are pushed all the way down on the posts and tight. He said you do that, you won't have to jump it to start it, even though it won't start now.

I did it. The car started right up, no VSC, ABS, VSC Off lights, or airbag flashing. Dash Lights are back on. All this costs me $15 bucks.

I was reading this thread while I was having problems. Nobody has mentioned this as a solution. So, start here with the negative battery terminal. It was $15 bucks and 30 minutes.

If the computer/car isn't getting enough power, the car will go into limp mode, and give various codes, and idiot lights as it shut downs. Hope this helps.

Everyone that has posted solutions and ideas on this forum. I Thank you for helping me to fix my car myself and keep it out of the shop and running like a dream. Thank you!!!!

2001 Black Onyx GS430
2000 Cadillac Escalade
1996 GS300
Old 11-22-13, 07:51 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

wow, my experience with Autozone has never been anything near that level.
Old 11-25-13, 09:20 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus dealer one time decided to change my negative batter terminal also, because they couldnt figure out why my ABS/VSC lights were coming with a loud alarm from under the dash randomly. It was one of my last attempts at allowing those "experts" to solve a problem on a car I drove.

few days later my brakes went out, as in 100% dead...ended up being the brake booster, thus the warning and alarm. Almost killed myself and another car.

Then again, these cars do have computers and if there is a crappy batter connection I could see it causing issues...

Then again, any time I have ever seen a bad batter connection, the starter doesnt turn the engine over, just click click click.

Originally Posted by MrDKyle
My VSC, ABS, VSC Off Lights came on in my 2001 GS430 the other day while driving. I pulled over and turned the car off. I pumped the brakes a few times. Turned the car back on and now my dash lights are out too and my airbag light started flashing. I turn it off, went to turn it back on and the car is completely dead, had to jump it. The car would lose all power as I would turn the key off. No interior lights, steering wheel didn't move. Nothing!

I jumped it again and drove it to Autozone for a system inspection. It didn't give any codes. He told me that the problem was the stock negative terminal. He said the stock negative terminal builds up corrosion to fast and doesn't allow the car to get enough power from the battery. I told him I just put a new battery in the car 3 months ago.

He said change the negative terminal to a brass/copper terminal. Clean both post really good. Use this battery cleaner with acid indicator on the posts and terminals. Make sure the terminals are pushed all the way down on the posts and tight. He said you do that, you won't have to jump it to start it, even though it won't start now.

I did it. The car started right up, no VSC, ABS, VSC Off lights, or airbag flashing. Dash Lights are back on. All this costs me $15 bucks.

I was reading this thread while I was having problems. Nobody has mentioned this as a solution. So, start here with the negative battery terminal. It was $15 bucks and 30 minutes.

If the computer/car isn't getting enough power, the car will go into limp mode, and give various codes, and idiot lights as it shut downs. Hope this helps.

Everyone that has posted solutions and ideas on this forum. I Thank you for helping me to fix my car myself and keep it out of the shop and running like a dream. Thank you!!!!

2001 Black Onyx GS430
2000 Cadillac Escalade
1996 GS300
Old 12-11-13, 05:37 PM
howardtan
Driver School Candidate

Hey Lexus owners,

Good news:

I took it to Lexus of El Cajon [in California] and they said this is a RECALL because of the lawsuit filed recently. They will ONLY honor this recall of the throttle position sensor up until Aug 2016. The following vehicles has this recall covered: 01-10 Lexus IS, 02-10 Lexus ES, 98-10 Lexus GS, 03-10 Lexus GX, 98-10 Lexus LS , 98-10 Lexus LX, 04-10 Lexus RX, 98-10 Lexus SC, 08-10 Lexus HV, 10 Lexus HD, REGARDLESS OF MILEAGE. They let me borrow a 2014 Lexus ES with 950 miles for the day while they were doing the fix AT NO CHARGE. I guess this is a time where I actually "stole" from the stealership this time hehe

*If they diagnose your car and see that there are modifications, or damage to the TPS, it might not be covered. Same goes for salvaged, dismantled, flood damage, etc.

Last edited by howardtan; 12-11-13 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-12-13, 09:20 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Good news, a few things:

- Please post the Recall TSB number for us all, so people can be informed when they go to the dealer.

- The TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) typically is NOT the problem experienced in this thread...teh TPS is a small easily changed sensor on the front of the Throttle Body and is not in any way related to the Accelerator Pedal Sensor (AKA Lever Assembly) which is on the back side of the throttle body on older models and at the gas pedal on newer models.

The LIMP mode is not related to the dangerous issue when cars were accelerating out of control a few years back (a media blitz against Toyota if I recall correctly during the middle of the GM/Ford/Chrysler Bailouts - Yeah Ford didnt "get money, but they got a $300M 0% interest "loan" that you and I will never get)

My 2 cents. Please post that TSB/Recall number if you have it handy.

Originally Posted by howardtan
Hey Lexus owners,

Good news:

I took it to Lexus of El Cajon [in California] and they said this is a RECALL because of the lawsuit filed recently. They will ONLY honor this recall of the throttle position sensor up until Aug 2016. The following vehicles has this recall covered: 01-10 Lexus IS, 02-10 Lexus ES, 98-10 Lexus GS, 03-10 Lexus GX, 98-10 Lexus LS , 98-10 Lexus LX, 04-10 Lexus RX, 98-10 Lexus SC, 08-10 Lexus HV, 10 Lexus HD, REGARDLESS OF MILEAGE. They let me borrow a 2014 Lexus ES with 950 miles for the day while they were doing the fix AT NO CHARGE. I guess this is a time where I actually "stole" from the stealership this time hehe

*If they diagnose your car and see that there are modifications, or damage to the TPS, it might not be covered. Same goes for salvaged, dismantled, flood damage, etc.
Old 12-20-13, 03:56 AM
tuanb2013
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Electronic Throttle Control System-aka Throttle Motor

Originally Posted by GS300-2002
Are all GS300's Drive by wire? because i was doing some work on the car and disconnected the battery for a good 30 min and with battery still disconnected i put my foot on the accelerator pedal and the throttle cable moved
az-dave, thanks for the thread about Throttle Motor. Very helpful...Problem occurred yesterday. My 2002 Lexus GS300 Engine Light on, VSC and VSC Off Lights, and my car is limp when i drive bout 10mins. after the engine warms. I checked the gas cap and pumped the break pedal several times, but the Engine, VSC and VSC Off Lights still on. When I stop at a Stop sign, it "idle&stutter." After reading your Thread about your 98 GS 300, I'm thinking my car has the same-exact problem, which is the "Throttle Motor." So I'm going to find a new Throttle Control Motor and replace that part. Hope I can find one for a good deal. Any suggestions on where I should look for the Throttle Control Motor?

Thanks a bunch az-dave!
Old 12-20-13, 04:45 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

rockauto or sewell's lexus parts with the CL discount. Make sure you pay attention to how the harness is attached to the TB for this motor. If you do not reattach the new one it lays very close to the manifold and the extreme heat will fry it.
Old 12-20-13, 02:36 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Its also possible its the Accelrator Pedal Sensor on the back side of the Throttle Body (what the cable attaches to) - its also called the "Lever Assembly".

There have been about 50/50 people being one or the other.

Just fyi so if the motor doesnt fix it, its almost certainly that sensor.

Originally Posted by tuanb2013
az-dave, thanks for the thread about Throttle Motor. Very helpful...Problem occurred yesterday. My 2002 Lexus GS300 Engine Light on, VSC and VSC Off Lights, and my car is limp when i drive bout 10mins. after the engine warms. I checked the gas cap and pumped the break pedal several times, but the Engine, VSC and VSC Off Lights still on. When I stop at a Stop sign, it "idle&stutter." After reading your Thread about your 98 GS 300, I'm thinking my car has the same-exact problem, which is the "Throttle Motor." So I'm going to find a new Throttle Control Motor and replace that part. Hope I can find one for a good deal. Any suggestions on where I should look for the Throttle Control Motor?

Thanks a bunch az-dave!
Old 12-21-13, 05:59 PM
duster
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Customer Support Program...Not a recall or TSB

Great thread az-dave and such a timely post howardtan. Thank you both.

What I know is there is a Customer Support Program for this. You won't find it under any Recall or TSB.

It came out in August '13. I also know that it is not limited to one part of the throttle body, but instead includes many of the related components as well.

My car ('98 gs 300 ) will get diagnosed by the dealer on Monday. A great independent shop looked at it and indicated It threw codes P1120 and P1121 related to the "Pedal pos sensor faulty and measurements out of spec".

I will post an update when I find out more. ...(Monday?) If someone else gets more info and posts earlier that is of course great as well.

Quick Reply: VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode