Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-13, 09:38 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday my 98 GS400 has fallen victim to this ailment. I was at the Target parking lot and upon start up my car jerked. Then on I noticed that the CEL, VSC, and VSC OFF lights were illuminated. So I shut off the car and restarted, same lights were still illuminated. Put the shifter on reverse and car moved fine. Put the car on D and car barely moved....LIMP MODE. So decided to move the car to a different part of the parking lot and maybe take a look, worse case scenario get towed home. I shut off and restarted the car again, no change. I put the shifter to the MANUAL MODE, shifted down to 2 and car moved and responded when I pressed on the gas pedal. So I was able to get home driving in MANUAL MODE. I borrowed my brother in law's scanner today and will scan for the code tomorrow.
Old 02-02-13, 10:29 AM
77i9
Lead Lap

Scanned the car this morning and code P1121 came up. Now the troubleshooting begins....
Old 02-02-13, 11:38 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by 77i9
Scanned the car this morning and code P1121 came up. Now the troubleshooting begins....
http://engine-codes.com/p1121.html
Old 02-02-13, 03:11 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

thanks for the link!
I've been reading thru this thread and I pointed to the cable lever assemble, throttle position sensor, and the throttle control motor. So I took a reading on all three and here are the results.

Cable Lever Assembly

Throttle Position Sensor

Throttle Control Motor
Old 02-02-13, 09:13 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

P1121: accelerator pedal position sensor range/performance problem.
That means the VPA & VPA2 readings are out of wack and the accelerator pedal position sensor may have an internal failure.

Here is a Diagnostic PDF Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Last edited by FrankT; 02-02-13 at 09:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JFU99GS400 (07-09-20)
Old 02-03-13, 11:57 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

while driving in MANUAL MODE tonight, the CEL, VSC, and VSC OFF all went away. I'm sure it's gonna pop back on again soon.
Old 02-04-13, 02:34 AM
LayLowLexo
Driver School Candidate

Long story short, a couple months after my post the unexpected happen,my transmission blew up...this happened on my 8 hour trip to Sonoma. Guys at Lexus dealer said its very rare to blow up a 2005 LS430 transmission, specially since I'm the only original owner, but I guess I never paid attention to my transmission oil. They recommend the transmission oil gets change every 30K...that's what the issue was with my car folks...don't say it's going to happen to you but I wasn't so happy when I had to pay $4200 2 weeks before Christmas...if you guys are unsure about your transmission oil, most likely you never changed it and MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE IT AFTER READING THIS POST!
Old 02-06-13, 02:35 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus Doesnt have a 30,000 mile transmission service interval. In fact, I dont believe Lexus manuals even have a specific mileage to replace the Tranny Fluid...the service intervals state to Inspect Tran Fluid level, condition (burnt smelling, milky, etc) and Road test tranny...(quite basic)

Lexus uses a proprietary Toyota Fluid, its quite different than Dexron III etc, and there is no serviceable filter, they use a non-serviceable fine SS mesh screen.

The cautious driver may elect to change the tranny fluid every 75K-100K miles just to be safe, but I dont believe its one of those absolutely must-do requirements on Lexus...

Check your manual...see what it says.

Originally Posted by LayLowLexo
Long story short, a couple months after my post the unexpected happen,my transmission blew up...this happened on my 8 hour trip to Sonoma. Guys at Lexus dealer said its very rare to blow up a 2005 LS430 transmission, specially since I'm the only original owner, but I guess I never paid attention to my transmission oil. They recommend the transmission oil gets change every 30K...that's what the issue was with my car folks...don't say it's going to happen to you but I wasn't so happy when I had to pay $4200 2 weeks before Christmas...if you guys are unsure about your transmission oil, most likely you never changed it and MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE IT AFTER READING THIS POST!

Last edited by az-dave; 02-06-13 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-08-13, 06:30 AM
kevwats01
Driver

Default Pedal going dead...

Wow Interesting thread, I have been noticing for about a Month now, happens more frequently now. My gas pedal seems to be having a dead spot while cruising on the highway it feels as if I took my foot off the pedal at times. It even seems to be stalling every now on then when at a full stop, unless I put it in neutral or gas it like im driving a manual.
No limp mode as yet but thinking my sensor is probably failing, (Lever assembly)

Did you guys noticed these symptoms before limp mode.... Thanks
Old 02-08-13, 09:36 AM
77i9
Lead Lap

my car did not give any prior indications. Everything just came all at once and went all at once also.
Old 02-08-13, 01:36 PM
kevwats01
Driver

Default Re: Symptoms

I'll check the voltage of these 3 sensors, ASAP. Hate to get stuck in limp mode while on my 7hr trip.
I'm guessing I'm the only 1 with pre failure symptoms.
Old 02-08-13, 01:38 PM
kevwats01
Driver

I'll check the voltage of these 3 sensors, ASAP. Hate to get stuck in limp mode while on my 7hr trip.
I'm guessing I'm the only 1 with pre failure symptoms.
Old 02-11-13, 08:38 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine gave some strange problems for a month or so before I hit the LIMP mode. Once Limp mode happened it came daily.

However, there was no issue with idling with me, and I do not believe the accel pedal sensor should impact idle.

Have you checked your OCV solenoid? I have another thread on the forums dedicated to just that...you may be having a mixture of the 2 problems - good news both are relatively CHEAP and EASY fixes...:-)

Originally Posted by kevwats01
Wow Interesting thread, I have been noticing for about a Month now, happens more frequently now. My gas pedal seems to be having a dead spot while cruising on the highway it feels as if I took my foot off the pedal at times. It even seems to be stalling every now on then when at a full stop, unless I put it in neutral or gas it like im driving a manual.
No limp mode as yet but thinking my sensor is probably failing, (Lever assembly)

Did you guys noticed these symptoms before limp mode.... Thanks
Old 02-16-13, 11:31 PM
fatduece
Driver School Candidate

I've had the same problem on my 300gs. CEL, VSC, and VSC OFF lights lit up. Car wouldn't accelerate unless I depressed the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and keep it pinned. I checked for codes and sure enough, it was what everybody else gets. Before spending money, I read and reread this thread at least 3 times. I ordered the acceleration position sensor for $360+ from sewel. I replaced the part and put over 450+ miles on the car and so far so good! :]
Old 02-27-13, 06:30 PM
rapper3314
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

if u do not adjust the tps correctly will the car still go in to limp mode or with it just idel funny . i have replace all the sensors on the tb but still going in to limp mode the only code im getting now is p0121 ...

Quick Reply: VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode