Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-12, 05:12 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Whats your symptoms and things youve already tried? (Im getting too many diff guys mixed up, and going back sux) :-)

Originally Posted by islexusred
not yet! money is kinda tight if u know what i mean. but someone told me its most likely the ECU than need to be reflashed . any suggestion ?
Old 10-23-12, 11:03 PM
islexusred
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by az-dave
Whats your symptoms and things youve already tried? (Im getting too many diff guys mixed up, and going back sux) :-)
ur fine u helping a lot! throttle get stuck at around 35k rpm when driving or not. engine vsc and vsc off light pop up. rpm get stuck at around 35k rpm as well. after shutting the car off and stepping on the gas pedal all the way down for few times while the car is off cure the rpm problem but all the light will remain on till battery is unplugged for few minutes then everything goes back to normal. no malfunction lights till my foot get heavy on the pedal again. havent done anything to it yet. it drives fine in city. freeway is the problem. its kinda hard to get the throttle control motor out!
Old 10-24-12, 09:38 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Can you replicate the situation under the hood while car is running but in park?

Do you have the cable from your gas pedal to the back side of the Throttle body? If so, you can manually rev engine under the hood. If so, can you get it so get stuck at 3500+ rpm?

If so, then check to see if the Accel Lever assembly where the cable attaches to is springing back all the way, or if after you rev up to 3500+ rpm if its not springing back.

If it springs back all the way, then most likely you can eliminate it as the problem - At this point I would suspect possible corrosion of the shafts in the TB itself, and a good cleaning and lubricating of the gears and shafts from the Throttle Control Motor (TCM) to the actual throttle Plate would be in order. - Also, Make sure the TPS is engaging Fully onto the shaft, if its getting stuck it could cause feedback issues.

If the Lever assemble doesnt spring back all the way, then you now know why its staying reved at 3500+ rpm - and you now need to look at the cable or the lever assembly springs or if something binding with the lever assembly - Again the lever assembly does engage the actual throttle plate but only at the very end - but the shaft the lever assembly attaches to may be sticky and thus causing it to not spring back all the way.

If you dont have a cable from pedal to TB then you shold still take the TB apart and lubricate all the gears and throttle shafts, because if the are sticky it can cause your symptoms.

If after all that...I would have to suggest a possible intermittent break/short in one wire, or possibly the ECU. ECU is last thing, they usually last a long long time.

ur fine u helping a lot! throttle get stuck at around 35k rpm when driving or not. engine vsc and vsc off light pop up. rpm get stuck at around 35k rpm as well. after shutting the car off and stepping on the gas pedal all the way down for few times while the car is off cure the rpm problem but all the light will remain on till battery is unplugged for few minutes then everything goes back to normal. no malfunction lights till my foot get heavy on the pedal again. havent done anything to it yet. it drives fine in city. freeway is the problem. its kinda hard to get the throttle control motor out!
Old 10-26-12, 08:48 AM
SlvrSrfr04
Driver School Candidate

Slvr: - What are your exact symptoms? Also Make/Model/Yr ?

As for testing the Accel Pedal sensor, I believe its a Hall-Effect type of sensor, and I believe in order to test it properly it requires to be hooked up while everything is powered up. That being said, its very possible its the Acel Pedal Sensor.

Did you go to Auto Store and have exact codes pulled? My suggestion: reset the ECU using handheld code reader. Then Drive until the issue happens, then go to Auto store and read codes, and write them all down.

It seems tedious but ive now learned without the codes, its just impossible to work on these cars, but with the codes, your usually able to fix pretty fast.

Also...3-4 yrs ago Lexus refused to sell the TCM alone, so even though you got raped on that part, at least you didnt buy the entire TB from them for $1.4K :-)

hop to hear back from you.
The CEL and VSC and VSC off came on. did some research and replaced the throttle control motor, after that didnt work i bought a code scanner. I reset it, it drove fine for 150 miles or so then it errored out again. The code that popped up is P2121, it says Throttle/Pedal Position Senor but i don't see that code in any other posts. Im wondering if it is bad or if it is just not adjusted properly. Im gonna put some seafoam through the system and clean everything out then readjust it. Any other advice would be extremely helpful and thank you to everybody so far.

*update* warmed the car up and the idle is already at the 650-700 rpm idle range.

Last edited by SlvrSrfr04; 10-26-12 at 10:02 AM. Reason: updated info
Old 10-26-12, 02:29 PM
Lewayna
Driver School Candidate

was the error codep1128
Old 10-26-12, 03:09 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Code P2121 is the Accel Pedal Sensor Range 'D' circuit. - Basically saying the range of electrical signals is out of tolerance...

Here is some more info: http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/...00pfz013x.html

So, with that said, the APS is also known as the Lever Assembly, I cant tell you want to do, but it seems like that would be the next item to check or replace...Sometimes paying the labor to check it will cost as much as buying it and seeing if it fixes it.

There are no adjustments to that sensor, its held on by 4 screws to the back side of the TB and it slips over a shaft that sticks out a little bit from the TB itself. The throttle cable (if yours has one) attaches to the APS.

If you dont have a throttle cable, then the APS is under the dash attached to the gad pedal and is 100% electrical with no link/cable to the TB.

Originally Posted by SlvrSrfr04
The CEL and VSC and VSC off came on. did some research and replaced the throttle control motor, after that didnt work i bought a code scanner. I reset it, it drove fine for 150 miles or so then it errored out again. The code that popped up is P2121, it says Throttle/Pedal Position Senor but i don't see that code in any other posts. Im wondering if it is bad or if it is just not adjusted properly. Im gonna put some seafoam through the system and clean everything out then readjust it. Any other advice would be extremely helpful and thank you to everybody so far.

*update* warmed the car up and the idle is already at the 650-700 rpm idle range.
Old 11-01-12, 02:12 PM
islexusred
Pole Position

Can you replicate the situation under the hood while car is running but in park?

Do you have the cable from your gas pedal to the back side of the Throttle body? If so, you can manually rev engine under the hood. If so, can you get it so get stuck at 3500+ rpm?

If so, then check to see if the Accel Lever assembly where the cable attaches to is springing back all the way, or if after you rev up to 3500+ rpm if its not springing back.

If it springs back all the way, then most likely you can eliminate it as the problem - At this point I would suspect possible corrosion of the shafts in the TB itself, and a good cleaning and lubricating of the gears and shafts from the Throttle Control Motor (TCM) to the actual throttle Plate would be in order. - Also, Make sure the TPS is engaging Fully onto the shaft, if its getting stuck it could cause feedback issues.

If the Lever assemble doesnt spring back all the way, then you now know why its staying reved at 3500+ rpm - and you now need to look at the cable or the lever assembly springs or if something binding with the lever assembly - Again the lever assembly does engage the actual throttle plate but only at the very end - but the shaft the lever assembly attaches to may be sticky and thus causing it to not spring back all the way.

If you dont have a cable from pedal to TB then you shold still take the TB apart and lubricate all the gears and throttle shafts, because if the are sticky it can cause your symptoms.

If after all that...I would have to suggest a possible intermittent break/short in one wire, or possibly the ECU. ECU is last thing, they usually last a long long time.
holly crap i think i found my problem. check this out man.
the throttle plate is getting. i dont know where this peace of metal belongs tho lol. i remember seeing it by the throttle sensor, if it does then it must have travelled a good 30 inches to get to the throttle plate. am putting every back together and see if the problem is resolved. u can also see the plate stuck on one of the pix
Attached Thumbnails VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode-sample-1.jpg   VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode-sample-2.jpg  
Old 11-01-12, 03:59 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

WELL...Apparently someone bought a $30 piece of junk "Turbo Vortex Air Intake" (or something like that) thinking bent fins that cause resistance to air (think the blades on a fan) would somehow make it go faster via a magical vortex, and instead the engine sucked it in.

This honestly is just too funny.

Take that vortex thingy and throw it out, hopefully you havnt damaged the gears and linkage inside the TB due to the throttle plate literally getting bound up on that thing.

Best of wishes.
Old 11-01-12, 04:10 PM
islexusred
Pole Position

WELL...Apparently someone bought a $30 piece of junk "Turbo Vortex Air Intake" (or something like that) thinking bent fins that cause resistance to air (think the blades on a fan) would somehow make it go faster via a magical vortex, and instead the engine sucked it in.

This honestly is just too funny.

Take that vortex thingy and throw it out, hopefully you havnt damaged the gears and linkage inside the TB due to the throttle plate literally getting bound up on that thing.

Best of wishes.
everything back to normal now. finally i can floor my gs4 again . nothing seems broken. i was giggling when i took those pix and somehow very relieved. tones of credits to u dave
Old 11-01-12, 04:37 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

glad its all good!

everything back to normal now. finally i can floor my gs4 again . nothing seems broken. i was giggling when i took those pix and somehow very relieved. tones of credits to u dave
Old 12-10-12, 01:00 PM
Jmaine318
Driver School Candidate

I'm having this problem right now. Also was told by the dealership it maybe the throttle body.
Old 12-11-12, 07:55 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Best suggestion I have, if you dont want to pay $1500 at the dealership is spend an hour reading Every post on this entire thread, all the way back to page 1 (I know time consuming, but if you dont want to get raked over the coals for money, it requires a time investment)

After reading every page on this thread you will probably be able to diagnose and solve the exact location of the problem your self...

note: isredlexus had a VERY DIFFERENT problem than what this thread is really about after he found that vortex thing jammed up against the throttle plate.

Originally Posted by Jmaine318
I'm having this problem right now. Also was told by the dealership it maybe the throttle body.
Old 12-11-12, 09:02 AM
Jmaine318
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to try this THROTTLE CONTROL Motor. Thanks for the threads!
Old 12-11-12, 09:07 AM
Jmaine318
Driver School Candidate

Is the Idle Valve Motor and THROTTLE CONTROL Motor the same?
Old 12-14-12, 01:16 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Yes, Its literally an electric Clutch-controlled step motor (doesnt really spin and spin around, its constantly going forward/reverse)

BTW: This question was answered waaaaay back in the early pages on this thread, Id really suggest reading them all because it will give you a lot of insight how the entire system works, and the things myself and others have learned along the way.

Chances are...I wont remember exact things any longer because my problem solved years ago...so they are preserved in the posts by myself and others...

I trust the posts more than my memory, but for sure Idle Control and Throttle Motor are same part, Toyota calls them different things for some reason, but the fact is, the motor doesnt control the Idle at all, it controls the throttle plate itself via the gears inside the TB itself.

Originally Posted by Jmaine318
Is the Idle Valve Motor and THROTTLE CONTROL Motor the same?

Quick Reply: VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode