Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-12, 03:43 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay allow me to update (brand new TPS didn't fix it for those with inquiring mindds)

Bought the GS3 P.O. said the car didn't run. I bought it, and determined it was a bad ECU since the OBDII port WOULD not read.

So got a new ecu, got it reprogrammed, and the car ran, but ran poorly, then I got the codes P1120 and P1121. Okay found this thread, purchased a complete TB with all the sensors, swapped it on, same thing. Removed and put the OE one on, no change.

Bit the bullet, put a new lever assembly on, and still nothing, BUT the throttle went up normally for like one time. Cleared the codes again, and CEL's came on again, after a few short minutes.

Put another TPS on today, and still the same thing. Last thing to replace now is the throttle motor, but that's another $300 dollar part.

I'm worried that even if I replace that, it may not even fix the problem.
Old 05-11-12, 05:33 PM
BobaDrift
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by az-dave
Ok, so this infers that the TPS on the new TB is bad?

I thought you said you replaced the TPS as well as Lever ASSY at one point? Maybe Im mixing up people?
You're mixing people up. Tuanville is the one that switched throttle bodies and TPS.
ihiryu has additional throttle bodies, but he only switched out the sensors/lever assembly rather than the entire throttle body.
Old 05-13-12, 08:25 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Well I found the problem, I hope.

I took my motor apart, and cleaned the contacts on it, and guess what? it works now, kinda. Once I cleaned the contacts, put it back together, and I had throttle response! Drove it down the road, and back, good still. Drove it home (finally), and guess what? You guessed it, CEL, VSC, etc came back on. Scanned it with my scanner, p1120. So I guess I'm about to shell out another three hundred (sigh).
Old 05-14-12, 08:33 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ihiryu also swapped entire TB, no change, then he did new Lever assy - im not mixed up :-)

Originally Posted by BobaDrift
You're mixing people up. Tuanville is the one that switched throttle bodies and TPS.
ihiryu has additional throttle bodies, but he only switched out the sensors/lever assembly rather than the entire throttle body.
Old 05-14-12, 08:44 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Ihiryu:

It appears you have a new ECU, youve swapped entire TB, you have also tried new TPS and new Lever Assy.

The only way this problem is related the the TB or any sensors on the TB is if your original TB AND the new TB have the same problem. And it looks like the throttle control motor is the only piece you have not replaced.

Ok here is the deal...the signal from the TB to ECU passes thru the ABS control module on the master cylinder. if that module is bad, you will get VSC and ABS lights and limp mode.

Now...here is another possibility, that ABS/VSC control module on the master cylinder gets a signal from the YAW sensor on the car. The YAW sensor is supposed to detect if the car is sliding out of control...there is a TBS/recall for the YAW Sensor for 98 and some 99 cars...I do not know where the YAW sensor is, but if its sending a bad signal, it could be your problem.

Try this: reset all the codes and try reving the engine at idle up and down, let the engine warm up for 10 minutes, see if the engine still revs up and down, up and down (do it a lot), then try it on the road and see if the code come up while driving.

So, since youve replaced almost everything, here is what Im seeing are the possibilities now:
1) Bad Mechanical shaft/gears in BOTH TB's
2) Bad Throttle Control Motor in BOTH TB's
3) Bad ABS/VSC control module
4) Bad YAW sensor
5) Bad wire between TB-VSC/ABS-ECU
6) bad Old ECU and New ECU

Originally Posted by ihiryu
Well I found the problem, I hope.

I took my motor apart, and cleaned the contacts on it, and guess what? it works now, kinda. Once I cleaned the contacts, put it back together, and I had throttle response! Drove it down the road, and back, good still. Drove it home (finally), and guess what? You guessed it, CEL, VSC, etc came back on. Scanned it with my scanner, p1120. So I guess I'm about to shell out another three hundred (sigh).
Old 05-14-12, 12:07 PM
BobaDrift
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ihiryu also swapped entire TB, no change, then he did new Lever assy - im not mixed up :-)
Yeah I saw that in his last post. Before he said he started to, but decided to switch the sensors only. Guess you weren't mixed up though.
I have yet to solve my issue. Will check and see if my lever *** is on the fritz or if it's the throttle body shaft or the TPS.
Old 05-14-12, 12:31 PM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Okay, some additional info

I still did not take the car to the mechanic, but I will this Wednesday for sure. Az-Dave, I know you still don't believe my problem has anything to do with the gas pedal.... I also doubt it until two days ago I felt that the gs with limp mode gas pedal felt a little limp also and not as firm my gs300 which runs fine.

So now I'm some what of a believer... But who knows...

I'm going to cross my fingers and hope it get fixed.
Old 05-14-12, 12:34 PM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I was a little confuse about what ihiryu was going haha. It seems like he changed a BUNCH of the same parts... So far I think ihiryu beat the record for spending the most money on a p1120 and p1121 code.
Old 05-14-12, 05:01 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

I think so!

Originally Posted by Tuanville
I was a little confuse about what ihiryu was going haha. It seems like he changed a BUNCH of the same parts... So far I think ihiryu beat the record for spending the most money on a p1120 and p1121 code.
Old 05-14-12, 05:06 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Gas Pedal pulls on cable. Lever assembly is spring loaded. Pedal inside car to TB lever assembly is 100% mechanical.

If car goes into Limp mode and pulls codes P1121 etc and gas pedal pressed to floor allows gar to accelerate then it means the cable is pulling the lever assembly, and thus the gears inside the TB to open the throttle butterfly valve.

Once in Limp mode, put the car in Park but DO NOT turn engine off - Pop the hood, and see if turning the lever assembly causes the engine to rev up and down, if not, then its really in limp mode, if turning lever assembly by hand revs the engine, then you may have a mechanical linkage problem with the throttle cable, but that would not explain the limp mode and error codes. I really dont think its the pedal or cable, as if it was, it wouldnt work at all.

Curious to see what the mechanic actually finds out.

Originally Posted by Tuanville
Okay, some additional info

I still did not take the car to the mechanic, but I will this Wednesday for sure. Az-Dave, I know you still don't believe my problem has anything to do with the gas pedal.... I also doubt it until two days ago I felt that the gs with limp mode gas pedal felt a little limp also and not as firm my gs300 which runs fine.

So now I'm some what of a believer... But who knows...

I'm going to cross my fingers and hope it get fixed.
Old 05-15-12, 04:46 PM
Habir
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lever Assy

I have a 2000 Gs300 this is the second time out of the 5 years I have had the car, that it went limp on me. First time I replaced the TPS motor, still no power I ended up taking it to a mechanic which it took him over a month to even find out the problem. So now my car is limp again :-/ I changed the TPS sensor, still limp, I'm trying to find a lever Assy without going to the dealer can someone point me in the right direction, or if someone has an extra one, how much would you charger?
Old 05-16-12, 08:58 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

I think someone posted the part number for the Lever Assembly - which is also called the Accelerator Pedal Sensor Assembly - several posts back.
According to this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6934011-post152.html ITS THE LEVER ASSY, THROTTLE. PART NUMBER 22060-46010

Looks like you can buy it here: http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...060-46010.html

A few posts after that Tuanville kindly posted some PDF's of the electrical diagrams.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7030082-post162.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7030085-post163.html

The other route is to buy an entire used TB off Ebay from a place that offers a 30-day refund. I posted several links a few days or week or so ago to some good used TB's for sale.

Please Take some time, and read each post going back a few months to find the posts.
(What Im saying, is: read EVERY post on this thread, and you will probably find what your looking for)

Originally Posted by Habir
I have a 2000 Gs300 this is the second time out of the 5 years I have had the car, that it went limp on me. First time I replaced the TPS motor, still no power I ended up taking it to a mechanic which it took him over a month to even find out the problem. So now my car is limp again :-/ I changed the TPS sensor, still limp, I'm trying to find a lever Assy without going to the dealer can someone point me in the right direction, or if someone has an extra one, how much would you charger?

Last edited by az-dave; 05-16-12 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-16-12, 09:19 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Hell, while Im at it:

Here is a link to the Throttle Control Motor: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1513766
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...936867-3196188
and here: www.auto parts warehouse.com/details/QQLexusQQGS300QQStandardQQIdle_Control_ValveQQ19982005QQSIAC555.html

FYI: lexus forums wont allow the entire word "auto parts warehouse" to show in a post without the spaces for some reason. You have to cut and paste entire URL

Last edited by az-dave; 05-16-12 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-16-12, 09:29 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Hell, while Im at it:

Here is a link to the Throttle Control Motor: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1513766
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...936867-3196188
and here: www.auto parts warehouse.com/details/QQLexusQQGS300QQStandardQQIdle_Control_ValveQQ19982005QQSIAC555.html

FYI: lexus forums wont allow the entire word "auto parts warehouse" to show in a post without the spaces for some reason. You have to cut and paste entire URL
OK...im done helping people go back and find stuff off old posts...Im glad to help, we all are. But im not going to look up part numbers anymore which are already posted previously...if someone wants to really fix their car, then its worth the time to read 2 hours of posts and learn a lot and take some notes...I did, which is why I started this thread and others.

Not trying to be a dik, just think others need to do some intense study as well. And a big Thanks to everyone who posts and helps others on this forum.
Old 05-16-12, 12:26 PM
wheelwh0re
Rookie

Just wanted to say I'm glad I found this thread. I had the same intermittent limp mode symptoms with VSC/TCS/CEL on (sorry forgot which code I threw but it was only one). I ordered the lever assy part through Carson Toyota and my car has been trouble free for 4 days now. Gotta love CL.

Quick Reply: VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode