Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-12, 02:19 PM
jonnyful
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zuk
hey! new to the forum. Well, ive been driving the car around in limp mode for a while. CEL, VSC, ABS, VSC OFF lights on. Pulled a code P1125 and thats it. Replaced throttle motor, erased code, and same thing. Changed tps, and same thing. Car starts fine and everything but is really slow. Should I mention my ball joint fell off a while back. Fixed it and then the lights came on later. I have no idea what to do now. PLease help. Thanks
i got it fixed. When the throttle lever assy came in , it looked real easy to put in. attached by for screws and a wire. took about 45 mins to switch it but when the new part was on, i started her up and ooooooooo ya,,,,,, she ran great. all of the error codes went,limp mode was gone and after a test drive , i found no problems. thanks to everyone who helped me figure this out. and thanks luxor for the call.
Old 01-09-12, 02:20 PM
jonnyful
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyful
i got it fixed. When the throttle lever assy came in , it looked real easy to put in. attached by for screws and a wire. took about 45 mins to switch it but when the new part was on, i started her up and ooooooooo ya,,,,,, she ran great. all of the error codes went,limp mode was gone and after a test drive , i found no problems. thanks to everyone who helped me figure this out. and thanks luxor for the call.
so if anyone has this SAME problem,,,,,,ITS THE LEVER ASSY, THROTTLE. PART NUMBER 22060-46010
Old 01-10-12, 07:56 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you got that part fixed, and glad to know they call that part the lever assembly. Also, THANK YOU for putting up the part number and posting your results, its what makes this forum so awesome!

I replaced my Lever Assembly when I did the Control Motor as a safeguard, but I never knew what it was called because I swapped it from a used TB I got off greenleaf.

To all others: That part, with the 4 small screw/bolts and ring with spring that the throttle cable attached to is the actual sensor that reads where your foot is on the pedal. The throttle cable doesnt engage the actual throttle valve until the last 5% or so, as a safe guard to allow people to floor the car and drive in limp mode.
The Lever Assembly then sends a signal to the ECU which sends a signal to the Throttle Control Motor (also called the Idle Control Motor) Its on the front left side of the throttle body and, that motor then turns gears that actually turn the butterfly valve. That valve has an attachment that the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) then reads to make sure everything is working good.

Its a complex little system, but we've figured the bastard out! :-)

Originally Posted by jonnyful
so if anyone has this SAME problem,,,,,,ITS THE LEVER ASSY, THROTTLE. PART NUMBER 22060-46010
Old 01-20-12, 08:23 PM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey, my gf car has this this same problem. I ordered the Lever assembly and put it on. It didn't fix my problem......

It got a little better. Instead of driving it for 2 minutes then it goes limp. I can drive it for 15 minutes now.......

Any guess on what else could have cause my dash to light up like christmas and making the car go limp? only code i got was the throttle lever assembly.

I unplugged my battery for a while put it back on and it;s still the same...

I'm going to leave it unplugged overnight to see what happens.

Originally Posted by az-dave
Glad you got that part fixed, and glad to know they call that part the lever assembly. Also, THANK YOU for putting up the part number and posting your results, its what makes this forum so awesome!

I replaced my Lever Assembly when I did the Control Motor as a safeguard, but I never knew what it was called because I swapped it from a used TB I got off greenleaf.

To all others: That part, with the 4 small screw/bolts and ring with spring that the throttle cable attached to is the actual sensor that reads where your foot is on the pedal. The throttle cable doesnt engage the actual throttle valve until the last 5% or so, as a safe guard to allow people to floor the car and drive in limp mode.
The Lever Assembly then sends a signal to the ECU which sends a signal to the Throttle Control Motor (also called the Idle Control Motor) Its on the front left side of the throttle body and, that motor then turns gears that actually turn the butterfly valve. That valve has an attachment that the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) then reads to make sure everything is working good.

Its a complex little system, but we've figured the bastard out! :-)
Old 01-25-12, 09:26 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Throttle Control Motor or Throttle Position Sensor, or possibly the ECU.

My best advice is go to the beginning of this thread and read every single post in it. It will take time but you will probably come across enough info for you to rule out what it isnt, and enough knowledge to replace any of the potential bad parts.

Originally Posted by Tuanville
Hey, my gf car has this this same problem. I ordered the Lever assembly and put it on. It didn't fix my problem......

It got a little better. Instead of driving it for 2 minutes then it goes limp. I can drive it for 15 minutes now.......

Any guess on what else could have cause my dash to light up like christmas and making the car go limp? only code i got was the throttle lever assembly.

I unplugged my battery for a while put it back on and it;s still the same...

I'm going to leave it unplugged overnight to see what happens.
Old 01-30-12, 09:40 AM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Yup, i read the entire thread from the beginning. Thats why i chose to replace the throttle lever assembly first ( > ^.^)>
I replaced the motor and the tps ..... Reset the ecu... Nothing is working..... FML. I just lost 600....

Does the vsc have it's own separate ecu or would it be my main ecu?

Throttle Control Motor or Throttle Position Sensor, or possibly the ECU.

My best advice is go to the beginning of this thread and read every single post in it. It will take time but you will probably come across enough info for you to rule out what it isnt, and enough knowledge to replace any of the potential bad parts.

Last edited by Tuanville; 01-30-12 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-06-12, 07:53 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Wow...So let me confirm: You have replaced all 3 electrical devices on the TB? The Lever assembly where the throttle cable actually connects, the Motor on the left front side of the TB, and the small TPS sensor on the front right side of the TB?

As for the VSC light, that is controlled by the Anti-Lock brake system (ABS), that is a module that mounts on the Master Cylinder. The ABS/VSC module sends a CUT-OFF signal to the throttle body which shuts down the throttle Motor - no throttle Motor, no movement of the throttle valve until you press the pedal to the floor and open the valve the 5% or so.

I think you may have a bad ABS module, or possible a bad ABS or VSC relay, OR you have an ABS sensor which is telling the ABS module to cut the throttle. If one of your ABS sensors is telling the module your locked up, then you will have no throttle. Or if the ABS module is malfunctioning after it warms up, due to a bad circuit board, it will send the cut-off signal.

Yup, i read the entire thread from the beginning. Thats why i chose to replace the throttle lever assembly first ( > ^.^)>
I replaced the motor and the tps ..... Reset the ecu... Nothing is working..... FML. I just lost 600....

Does the vsc have it's own separate ecu or would it be my main ecu?
Old 02-16-12, 10:25 AM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Fuuuuuuudge..... I was planning to replace that module on the master cylinder.... But now that I'm away and won't be back until summer. I won't post anymore updates until then. I just downloaded the entire 98-05 Lexus gs300/400/430 repair manual. I looked through it and it has some pretty good diagnostic procedures I want to try. Amazing how it covers every little detail about the car.

How do I post PDF files? They have a special section on the vsc problem/system I wanted to post. I believe there was a recall on the system also... If my sources are correct. I'll also post up PDF on how to diagnose the two sensors and motor. Thanks for your help.

Wow...So let me confirm: You have replaced all 3 electrical devices on the TB? The Lever assembly where the throttle cable actually connects, the Motor on the left front side of the TB, and the small TPS sensor on the front right side of the TB?

As for the VSC light, that is controlled by the Anti-Lock brake system (ABS), that is a module that mounts on the Master Cylinder. The ABS/VSC module sends a CUT-OFF signal to the throttle body which shuts down the throttle Motor - no throttle Motor, no movement of the throttle valve until you press the pedal to the floor and open the valve the 5% or so.

I think you may have a bad ABS module, or possible a bad ABS or VSC relay, OR you have an ABS sensor which is telling the ABS module to cut the throttle. If one of your ABS sensors is telling the module your locked up, then you will have no throttle. Or if the ABS module is malfunctioning after it warms up, due to a bad circuit board, it will send the cut-off signal.

Last edited by Tuanville; 02-16-12 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-17-12, 10:05 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Posting thsat PDF as an attachment should work. That would be a great addition.

Thanks!

Fuuuuuuudge..... I was planning to replace that module on the master cylinder.... But now that I'm away and won't be back until summer. I won't post anymore updates until then. I just downloaded the entire 98-05 Lexus gs300/400/430 repair manual. I looked through it and it has some pretty good diagnostic procedures I want to try. Amazing how it covers every little detail about the car.

How do I post PDF files? They have a special section on the vsc problem/system I wanted to post. I believe there was a recall on the system also... If my sources are correct. I'll also post up PDF on how to diagnose the two sensors and motor. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-18-12, 10:49 AM
male37oc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1127: ETCS Actuation Power Source Circuit Malfunction

My neighbor has a 98 GS 300 that only accelerates when the gas pedal is floored all the way. The VSC/ABS/CHECK ENGINE lights are one. She was told she needed to replace the whole throttle body with the TPS/Accelerator Actuator/Accelerator Position Sensor which would cost over $1200 for the parts minus labor. I have a 2002 GS 300 and I took her throttle body with the sensors and Throttle motor and put it in my car. My car was able to run without any issues. When I put my throttle body with the other components on her car it ran the same.
I checked the ECTS fuse and it was good. Checked it with a volt meter and it passed. There was a cable from the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor that had been in corroded with some yellow powder. Looked like sulfer and I checked for voltage and it read 4 volts I believe thru it. Nonetheless I still replaced that cable. Now I'm stuck with the dilema of it being the ECU. She sent the ECU to two different places and they can't figure out the code. They can't say that the ECU is bad but that they couldn't fix the code either. If it was to be the ECU and she got a used one, what would be the next step since the ECU and her key wouldn't match so the car wouldn't start. Can she call an automotive locksmith to reflash her key or does she also need to get a key to match her ignition?
Old 02-19-12, 10:42 PM
Tuanville
Intermediate

VSC Components locations

There's a whole bunch of stuff that i need to post... At the moment I am feeling a little lazy, If there are any info anyone wants, let me know and I will post them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
VSC Location.pdf (146.9 KB, 683 views)
VSC Code Chart.pdf (39.0 KB, 1475 views)

Last edited by Tuanville; 02-19-12 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-19-12, 10:53 PM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Default Throttle Body Components

Installing is reverse order of Removing
Attached Files
Throttle Body Component.pdf (81.0 KB, 687 views)
Throttle component inspection.pdf (141.7 KB, 650 views)
Replacing.pdf (126.4 KB, 629 views)

Last edited by Tuanville; 02-20-12 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-19-12, 10:59 PM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Here are the CEL codes and what they are.....
Attached Files
Engine code 1.pdf (65.1 KB, 854 views)
Engine code 2.pdf (65.1 KB, 770 views)
engine code 3.pdf (65.1 KB, 808 views)
engine code 4.pdf (65.1 KB, 1138 views)
engine code 5.pdf (65.1 KB, 989 views)
Old 02-19-12, 11:07 PM
Tuanville
Intermediate

There's too much stuff on the VSC system for me to post........ I'll post more info that I think is useful later. How many people actually have the entire GS300 Repair manuals anyways?

Posting thsat PDF as an attachment should work. That would be a great addition.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-12, 01:07 PM
Tuanville
Intermediate

That's a pretty good question. First, can you swap your VSC ecu before you move ahead to the engine ecu?

I think in one of the PDF I post has info saying that the vsc has a "fail safe mode" and it will send that signal to the main ecu

Edited:

Whoops I didn't post it. But the vsc ecu seems to be under the dash and not on the brake booster...

Originally Posted by male37oc
My neighbor has a 98 GS 300 that only accelerates when the gas pedal is floored all the way. The VSC/ABS/CHECK ENGINE lights are one. She was told she needed to replace the whole throttle body with the TPS/Accelerator Actuator/Accelerator Position Sensor which would cost over $1200 for the parts minus labor. I have a 2002 GS 300 and I took her throttle body with the sensors and Throttle motor and put it in my car. My car was able to run without any issues. When I put my throttle body with the other components on her car it ran the same.
I checked the ECTS fuse and it was good. Checked it with a volt meter and it passed. There was a cable from the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor that had been in corroded with some yellow powder. Looked like sulfer and I checked for voltage and it read 4 volts I believe thru it. Nonetheless I still replaced that cable. Now I'm stuck with the dilema of it being the ECU. She sent the ECU to two different places and they can't figure out the code. They can't say that the ECU is bad but that they couldn't fix the code either. If it was to be the ECU and she got a used one, what would be the next step since the ECU and her key wouldn't match so the car wouldn't start. Can she call an automotive locksmith to reflash her key or does she also need to get a key to match her ignition?
Attached Files
1127-1.pdf (61.4 KB, 649 views)
1127-2.pdf (61.4 KB, 1255 views)
in29-1.pdf (162.0 KB, 277 views)
in29-2.pdf (162.0 KB, 315 views)
in29-3.pdf (162.0 KB, 277 views)

Last edited by Tuanville; 02-20-12 at 08:22 PM.

Quick Reply: VSC and VSC Off Lights - Limp Mode