Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SRT intake VS K&N intake

Old 02-06-08, 12:13 PM
Vic184
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT intake VS K&N intake

Hey guys i just bought a 99 gs400 and i want to add an intake to it. i am debating on which intake to go with. what do you guys think? the srt intake or the k&N intake? thanks guys!!!
Old 02-06-08, 01:12 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Vic, first off welcome to the forums. Well, if you're looking for an intake, I'd go with something that you'll like. Motor wise, and sound wise. The SRT is known to give a headache after hearing it over and over again, however the K&N intake is basically a cold air intake. Much quieter though. I'd personally go with an SRT, it's on an intermediate level for a do it your self, but with our help, it'll be like cutting pie. Now who doesn't like pie?
Old 02-06-08, 01:20 PM
Rare1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to CL Vic,

The SRT intake is better than the K&N. You'll get more bang for your buck.

Originally Posted by GS400RcrX
The SRT is known to give a headache after hearing it over and over again
as for the headache comment, can't say I've ever heard that. It's not really all that much louder than most other intakes out there. i've installed 2, 1 on a IS300-manual and another is a GS400, for the most part you can't tell it's in there unless you really gun it.
Old 02-06-08, 02:08 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to CL Vic, I agree with both of them. if you have female in ur car, just be ready to hear their complaint about the SRT intake noise, other than that....lovin' it
Old 02-06-08, 02:42 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Depends. I've had both and I prefer the K&N's construction and performance for the price. The SRT's main advantage is the piggyback ECU. The K&N does not allow that. The SRT's larger piping allows for more CFM at higher RPM, but sacrificing a bit of low end torque. The K&N doesn't gain as much on the top end, but low end feels like stock so it's great.

But for the price of the SRT, I would have gone K&N + SAFCII. More flexibility once you add in other mods.

On the plus side, the K&N is CARB legal for those who are in Cali.
Old 02-06-08, 04:20 PM
lolololol
Rookie

how about the HP and MPG of both? thx
Old 02-06-08, 04:26 PM
DoWnAqT
Driver

I just picked up a K&N intake...I waiting for it to come in now.....So im guessing its not that loud from Im reading on here. that sucks
Old 02-06-08, 04:34 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote for K & N factory replacement drop in panel
Old 02-06-08, 04:48 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by DoWnAqT
I just picked up a K&N intake...I waiting for it to come in now.....So im guessing its not that loud from Im reading on here. that sucks
When doing some normal driving, you'll hear a slight whirly noise. But when you floor the car, you'll definitely hear it. It's substantially louder than the OEM box.
Old 02-06-08, 04:57 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is everyone in full concensus that cold air intakes really give you a benefit over stock intake? After looking at the stock design it doesn't look like much of a gain going with aftermarket components. I'm not claiming anything here, just looking for confirmation.
Old 02-06-08, 06:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

No one makes a true cold air intake for our cars. What we get instead is a short ram system with a metal heatshield for the K&N intake. In SRT's case, just a metal divider that does nothing .

Most of the gains are on the top end. The K&N gains about 10whp and the SRT gains maybe 15-20whp or so.

Everyone says intakes gain a few ponies here and there and that they're just noise makers. Obviously an intake isn't going to add 50whp, but it adds up when you do other mods. Unless you get a true cold air intake, most aftermarket intakes will suffer from heatsoak once you drive it around for awhile.
Old 02-06-08, 06:10 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think most cold air intakes ive seen just have a straight pipe leading to the corner of the engine compartment, whereas the factory setup takes in air right at the grille, which should be colder, but possibly slightly restricted due to extra length.
Old 02-06-08, 07:14 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All intakes, including other brands that are not mention here, sound the same at WOT (loud)
Old 02-06-08, 07:44 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Srt will make at least 20whp on a Gs400. There are a few guys here who dynoed before and after with the intake on the same day without unstrapping the car. It has been a long time but I specifically remember a guy here picked up 30+ ft/lbs of torque and I *think* 27hp. Either way, the Srt is only going to be loud when your stepping on it just like any other intake. I vote Srt if you want to actually notice a difference, there is a reason it is one of, if not THE most popular intake on the boards.
Old 02-07-08, 06:31 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well chek this out...I just recently dyno'd my GS400; I have the K&N FIPK intake, Borla exhaust and newly tuned Apexi AFC Neo. I dyno'd at 268.1hp and around 296.2Tq. So, my baseline was around 251hp (that's WITH the K&N FIPK intake and my Borla exhaust). Let's say there is roughly a 20% loss of power due to the drivetrain...that means a BONE STOCK GS400 should be at 240hp. Therefore, it is PROVEN in this example that my K&N intake with a tuned Apexi Neo (along with my rear section Borla which probably makes nothing.lol) made 28.1hp @ the wheels more over a stock GS400 (240hp - 268.1)! It's all the same here guys. You spend $550+shipping on an SRT intake or you spend $250 on a K&N intake and $300 on a Apexi Neo. Yeah, you still have to spend some more $$$ to have the Neo dyno tuned BUT guess what....whenever you do ANYTHING down the road such as headers, full exhaust etc etc you can re-tune this Neo (as GSteg mentioned) whereas you CANNOT add an A/F controller to tune these added items if you have the SRT; you are stuck. and THAT's why you see many SRT intakes on the CLASSIFIED section more so than ever before.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SRT intake VS K&N intake