Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Does the JoeZ Tube Increase/Decrease Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-08, 08:24 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the JoeZ Tube Increase/Decrease Gas Mileage?

Just want to see if the JoeZ tube increases or decreases gas mileage? Maybe stays the same?

I know most of you guys would floor it more after installing the JoeZ tube to hear the difference in the sound it produces.
Old 01-17-08, 10:12 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you shouldn't have to worry my gas has been about the same 20mpg mostly city and some highway.
Old 01-17-08, 10:48 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt the difference could be measured by modern science.
Old 02-05-08, 09:34 PM
APBT4Me
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gernby
I doubt the difference could be measured by modern science.
you're probably right...but a long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
Old 02-06-08, 06:59 AM
tshek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ha.. i think it will increase mentally.
Old 02-06-08, 02:31 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Guys lets get this thread back on topic please and keep the responses impersonal and factual.
Old 02-21-08, 08:19 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

I just ordered a JoeZ tube and a HKS filter..... Im interested to see if my gas mileage will go up or down.

Anyone with factual info?
Old 02-23-08, 07:22 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ReLexin
I just ordered a JoeZ tube and a HKS filter..... Im interested to see if my gas mileage will go up or down.

Anyone with factual info?
How could anyone prove one way or the other that a mod improves fuel economy by 0.3 MPG? There's certainly no reason to think that it could improve economy by any more significant amount or we would be seeing much more significant power gains to boot..
Old 02-23-08, 08:12 AM
APBT4Me
Pole Position

How could anyone prove one way or the other that a mod improves fuel economy by 0.3 MPG? There's certainly no reason to think that it could improve economy by any more significant amount or we would be seeing much more significant power gains to boot..
the only way to prove that it helps or hurts gas mileage would be to perform the EXACT same tests on the car with and without the joez and using multiple tanks of gas to assure accuracy...other than that be happy if you think ur getting 0.1mpg more the the sound and slight power increase from this intake make it all worth it!!!
Old 02-23-08, 09:53 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by APBT4Me
the only way to prove that it helps or hurts gas mileage would be to perform the EXACT same tests on the car with and without the joez and using multiple tanks of gas to assure accuracy
That's not possible in the real world where the innevitable changes in weather conditions could easily make a more significant difference than the intake tube
Old 02-23-08, 10:43 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

That's not possible in the real world where the innevitable changes in weather conditions could easily make a more significant difference than the intake tube
And seasonal differences in fuels, and air pressure differences in tires, and..., and..., and...,

I really tried very hard to prove/disprove the positive effects of acetone in standard gasoline at the recommended (very tiny) amounts. At first it appeared I had found a significant improvement, but by the time I collected my data from 10 tanks of gas, the results were inconclusive at best. I suspect you'd see the same thing with ANY available aftermarket intake on an ISx50.

While there is no denying it is possible to improve economy by reducing pumping losses on any engine, the losses with the OEM intake are very small compared to anything the aftermarket has provided, hence the comments about not being able to feel a difference or see a difference at the pump. If the intake were a crappy design, the result would likely be quite different, but it isn't a crappy design, so there's a tiny bit of room for improvement. Really tiny.
Old 02-23-08, 11:00 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Bottom line...
Is a JoeZ worth it or not?
Old 02-23-08, 11:08 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

You're not going to pay for it with gas mileage improvements anytime soon, if at all. The decision is more about do you want to have a coolio shiny metal tube under the hood, or will your ego let you run the stock piece and save the $119 for driving school where you'll learn a lot more about driving fast than you'll ever get from an ISx50 modification?
Old 02-23-08, 11:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You're not going to pay for it with gas mileage improvements anytime soon, if at all. The decision is more about do you want to have a coolio shiny metal tube under the hood, or will your ego let you run the stock piece and save the $119 for driving school where you'll learn a lot more about driving fast than you'll ever get from an ISx50 modification?
I just got delivery of my JoeZ this week and I just listed the JoeZ along with a K&N AF in the classified section.Both never used.
Not only because of the posts I read here,I don't want the engine to be louder.A K&N and JoeZ will do just that.
The alleged 6HP gain of the JoeZ peaked my interest.Probably wouldn't feel it anyway.

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-23-08 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-23-08, 12:41 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys lets get this thread back on topic please and keep the responses impersonal and factual.
Yes, I agree with Dave with staying on topic & factual.

I also agree that gas mileage is a driving habit and as long you drive the same way as you did with your OEM setup, you should technically achieve similar MPG's..
If you drive with a heavy foot after installing a performance modification, you can expect it to drop. Now if your aftermarket modification is poorly designed, it will negatively affect it as well…

Also, as a factual side note:

I never created this intake as a gas saving modification.

As I said many times, I would NOT make this pipe if there was NO benefit from installing it.
The intake makes power, independent Dyno testing concluded this.
6rwhp on an IS250rwd and 4rwhp on an IS350..
A few CL Members have reported the same or better dyno #'s with my intake.
Although it's only a subtle upgrade, it has been proven that it does its job over the OEM tube..
It in fact performs as advertised.. nothing more & nothing less..

Thank You
Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-24-08 at 04:10 AM. Reason: added facts

Quick Reply: Does the JoeZ Tube Increase/Decrease Gas Mileage?