Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

nos?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-07, 03:46 PM
Taylor@DP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you that based on the majority of the "information" in this thread there will be problems. There are many tricks of the trade and there are theories that work on paper and not on the street.

Nitrous is an oxidant not a fuel and if not properly designed and implemented will cause many issues and ultimately lead to engine failure. Small doses can be tolerated for some time no matter how improperly set up and I would advise starting small.

However a properly setup system has very little negatives and is very effective.
Old 11-29-07, 05:16 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylor@DP
I can tell you that based on the majority of the "information" in this thread there will be problems. There are many tricks of the trade and there are theories that work on paper and not on the street.

Nitrous is an oxidant not a fuel and if not properly designed and implemented will cause many issues and ultimately lead to engine failure. Small doses can be tolerated for some time no matter how improperly set up and I would advise starting small.

However a properly setup system has very little negatives and is very effective.
Oh so true.. Welcome to club lex
Old 11-30-07, 08:36 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Gernby, you've inquired about the injectors and how much fuel they could support. Sice the D-4S injection is duel control it may be very challenging to find the fuel map (or even trace) for the direct injectors. I have access to the OEM scantool and I plan on making some logs of the OEM ecu to find this info out. However, the port injectors being 12V could easily be traced. But the ecu is setup to vary the fuel injection from both injectors based on various sensors and the programming of the engine ecu. So subing a large injector and making changes to the MAF signal will net you some undesirable results.

The other issue at hand is the ignition timing advance and how it is affected with the MAF signal. Heck even the ECT control is based on the MAF signal for a/t solenoid shift control so altering the MAF may result in erratic behavior of the transmission.

-Joe
Old 12-01-07, 06:14 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't imagine why MAF voltage would have anything to do with the transmission.
Old 12-01-07, 07:08 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by carchitect
Gernby, you've inquired about the injectors and how much fuel they could support. Sice the D-4S injection is duel control it may be very challenging to find the fuel map (or even trace) for the direct injectors. I have access to the OEM scantool and I plan on making some logs of the OEM ecu to find this info out. However, the port injectors being 12V could easily be traced. But the ecu is setup to vary the fuel injection from both injectors based on various sensors and the programming of the engine ecu. So subing a large injector and making changes to the MAF signal will net you some undesirable results.

The other issue at hand is the ignition timing advance and how it is affected with the MAF signal. Heck even the ECT control is based on the MAF signal for a/t solenoid shift control so altering the MAF may result in erratic behavior of the transmission.

-Joe
Alot of what you say is true ,But you have to think about what change is being made to the MAF sig. . If you lower the voltage then you will lean the motor and pick up some timing. This will change shift points. And from toyota history it will allow you a few more rpm before the change. Now all of this is only at wide open throttle. We have no control below 78% TP. So no need to map down low. I've got my voltage lowered to the MAF and love the change to the car. On cold days I can bark Sec gear every time I into it.
Old 12-01-07, 09:16 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any updates Jeremy?
Old 12-01-07, 12:56 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by car_lost
any updates Jeremy?
Yeah, I have got the Fuel tapped. And the kit wired. I just have to mount the bottle and wire up the bottle heater. I'll have it done tommrow.
Old 12-02-07, 01:49 PM
Taylor@DP
Driver School Candidate

I really haven't done any research on the IS350 EMS but I can tell you that using the MAF tricks to richen the A/F on a nitrous setup generally never works as well as the age old wet kit. I believe I mentioned this before in our emails Greg. You will spend more time chasing your tail then it is worth.

No reason to even get into that on the smaller shots. When you already can use the piggy back to trigger the system and let off on shifts and so forth.
Old 12-03-07, 06:50 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Taylor@DP
I really haven't done any research on the IS350 EMS but I can tell you that using the MAF tricks to richen the A/F on a nitrous setup generally never works as well as the age old wet kit. I believe I mentioned this before in our emails Greg. You will spend more time chasing your tail then it is worth.

No reason to even get into that on the smaller shots. When you already can use the piggy back to trigger the system and let off on shifts and so forth.
Man, You mean for the last ten years I've been just wasting my money on NOS. HA. What do you mean? I've had great time with everyone of my nitrous setups in the past. I have always used the wet kits and have always proved large gains with even small shots. And tricking the MAF was the timeless age old way to tune cars before all the EMS systems came about in the late 90's. Just ask any Supra guy(including me)who has made 500 hp on the factory MAF.their are better ways. But it does work. I'd rather spend $150.00 on an A/F controller that tricks the MAF than a stand alone that you have to tune everytime the weather changes. For what gains, 10hp. My pick is the cheap A/F controller. I could see if I had a huge upgrade to the motor. But I don't. BTW I will be running a wet kit and I am using an A`pexi SAFC to lean my A/F ratio's via MAF tricking. Don't get me wrong I like standalones. And have had everyone ever made on past cars. But not needed for this project. I have no reason to be messing with injector duty cycle, phasing, and all the cold start-up issues for a 50 shot of NOS.
Old 12-03-07, 07:01 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jeremy
Yeah, I have got the Fuel tapped. And the kit wired. I just have to mount the bottle and wire up the bottle heater. I'll have it done tommrow.
Update , I have the kit in and tested with fuel only. I'm going to get the bottle filled sometime this week. And hope for the best...
Old 12-03-07, 07:12 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

good luck jeremy!

should the worst happen, are you prepared to shell out the $$$$ for a new motor?
Old 12-03-07, 07:15 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

well good luck to ya!
Old 12-03-07, 08:14 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Yeah, best of luck with the giggle gas. hopefully you won't have too much issues with the setup but if the engine goes south I'd very much like to see the pics of the carnage.
Old 12-04-07, 07:29 AM
IStreefidy
Pole Position

maybe if your motor blows, instead of spending thousands on a new 2gr, you could try to swap in a 2JZ-TT
Old 12-04-07, 07:30 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

haha, that'd be awesome!

Quick Reply: nos?