Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

aFe intake review on is350!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-07, 11:32 AM
genki
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up aFe intake review on is350! Video & Sound Clips Added!!!!

VIDEOS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3-YGmn6-3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGjKVXTF6KQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN580JOeiwg

alright guys, here is the review. I have the aFe intake with the oil filter (blue color), instead of the dry (pro dry s filter grey color) which they say give more performance.

I chose this brand because there is a lot of positive feedbacks from this company have had this on my BMW before and i love how it sounds and performs. I have had this intake for a couple of weeks now and i am loving it! I think it is the best intake out there for the is250/350. I have heard the fujita, joe z and the aFe definitely has the best sound in my opinion (havent heard the ARC which i'd love to get). Im still surprised not many people on this forum has tried this intake yet.

The intake has a throaty growling sound, similar to a v8 sound, when going above 3000rpms and when it gets into the 5000-6000 mark it gets louder. The sound i promise you is AMAZING!. On the website it states 13hp max gain and 11lbs of torque but i'm not sure of the real gains im getting. The car feels faster though at a pull at 3000-5000rpm, there is definitely a torque increase in the car at these rpm ranges.

The intake has a heatshield (which bought me), so it does not suck any hot engine air into the engine. Only cold air, unlike other intakes. It fits perfectly without any modifications and easily done by yourself. installation is simple, 60 minutes roughly (first timer) only using simple tools and DIY instructions is great. The intake fits perfectly under the engine cover, and looks very OEM'ish as the tube itself is made out of black plastic.

The price retail on the website states $347 for the oiled filter and $329 for the dry version. You can get one from ebay around $280-290 shipped.

Last edited by genki; 11-28-07 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-06-07, 11:44 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got any pics? Ive wondered about intakes that require oil, since we have MAF I think it would cause a problem. Ive seen the LMS have issues with too much oil or whatnot and messed up peoples MAF sensors, Im still holding out on an intake until something comes out that works. Ive seen the AFE and I think its an awesome system, its very comparible to the K&N IMO.

Have you dyno'd at all yet?? You should so that way no one can say its a placebo affect. As of sound, I like it loud so I dont care about that just the gains. BTW congrats!
Old 11-06-07, 11:47 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the heat shield just a partial enclosure (like the K&N) or a fully sealed box with a snorkel? If it's like the K&N, then it is still a hot air intake.
Old 11-06-07, 11:58 AM
genki
Pole Position

That is what i was wondering at first. I contacted them before i bought this and i was confused on which one to get the oiled filter or the dry and they said that they have never had any issues with the MAF sensor being reported with the Blue Filter (oiled). However, that's not to say that this isn't an issue. This is what they said.

1) The Blue Filter is oiled with the EXACT amount of grams of oil for that filter so it does not bleed into the tube and get in the way of the MAF sensor. It is specifically designed and built with this in mind.
2) If anything, it's the micron particles that pass through the filter that get caught on the sensor (dust, etc.), but it's not the oil itself.
3) It is very easy to clean, should it happen, but said it shouldn't. He was pretty serious about it being very uncommon.
4) Performance wise, he said the Blue Filter is better. However, he said the Dry Filter is better for keeping particles out. Yet, he said we're talking half a micron, which really isn't all that much of a difference. Both do an excellent job and he recommended I stay with the Blue, over the Dry.

So with that reply i went with the oiled blue filter.

I havent dynoed the stock car. so even though i dyno i will not know the gains as i have already installed my exhausts and intake.

Yes it is loud, but not ricey loud, more like growling, deep, throaty sound.

Last edited by genki; 11-06-07 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-06-07, 12:01 PM
genki
Pole Position

The heatshield is a full heatshield- i hardly see any gaps between the enclosure and the engine hot air. As for the top it is open, but then it is covered with our engine covers. I will post pics when i get my camera in a day or two.
Old 11-06-07, 02:58 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Old 11-06-07, 03:03 PM
blake0387
Driver

I would have to agree, if the intake is not fully enclosed then you're still sporting a hot air intake. I'm not trying to put you down but it's very rare that an intake is actually a true CAI.
Old 11-06-07, 03:18 PM
genki
Pole Position

Default Pics!

Here are pics guys. click on the picture to get a bigger view. sorry the engine bay is a lil dirty.

Last edited by genki; 11-06-07 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-06-07, 03:23 PM
genki
Pole Position

Default more pics

with engine covers on
Old 11-06-07, 04:45 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
Is the heat shield just a partial enclosure (like the K&N) or a fully sealed box with a snorkel? If it's like the K&N, then it is still a hot air intake.
i dont see how this is true... none are actually sealed..the stock one has a hole in it.. are you saying that the plastic box on the stock one cools the air that comes in..?
Old 11-06-07, 06:02 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

every intake for our car is a short ram no matter wat heat shield you have unless you drill a hole and somehow route the piping to the bumper then it will be considered a COLD AIR INTAKE, and thats that. i would personally drill the 3ish inch hole if i wasnt driving a $40K car if it was a Ford Focus id be drilling away ha
Old 11-06-07, 06:03 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Someone I forget who, maybe it was Lobux did some calculations and the stock airbox supplies more than enough air to meet the rated 306hp. We aren't going to see gains with any intake and will probably see a loss with enclosures that are not sealed. (JoeZ pipe excluded from my comment)
Old 11-06-07, 06:45 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

I watch these threads and giggle, it's just like when the filter on a stick craze hit the honda scene way back when. I watched it happen on the Subaru boards. I confess to ignorance on accurate numbers for how much HP the factory honda boxes could support. It was proven on dyno after dyno that the factory Subaru air box could support well into the 300 HP range....
There are no available ECU flashes for our cars so an intake is doing not much more than making the car louder. And I do not buy dyno #'s published by the manufacturers because they are so easily manipulated.
The aFe intake does look like a well thought out product, but I'll pass. (and for that kind of money it should come with a BJ when you're finished installing it)
Old 11-07-07, 02:23 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Default design looks good...

the design looks good but ill wait for the f sport intake...to see realistic dyno numbers.... the sound is why pplz buy the short ram not the performance,,,
Old 11-07-07, 06:27 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextasy89
i dont see how this is true... none are actually sealed..the stock one has a hole in it.. are you saying that the plastic box on the stock one cools the air that comes in..?
the hole in the OEM airbox is connected to a duct that is pulling air in above and in front of the radiator which isnt engine bay air

Quick Reply: aFe intake review on is350!