Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: How Often Do You Reset Your ECU
Every Week
2.28%
Every Couple Weeks
3.64%
Every Month
6.15%
Every Few Months
16.63%
I Haven't Yet :eek:
71.30%
Voters: 439. You may not vote on this poll

How Often Do You Reset Your ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-08, 05:57 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

I would advise against "engin_ear"'s suggestion on floor the car right after reset. (not on a 15K engine dude

Anh[/QUOTE]

LOL what!! your post was ok till i saw that statement, when do you suppose it's okay to rev an engine? After your third timing belt change! After the break in period, it should be ok to rev occasionally....
Old 02-16-09, 11:20 PM
sc430guy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BananaGS
possible, but i don't have the set to look at, from looking at them online, seem like it's easier to mod the new style light than the old one where you have to cut the whole thing out.

also, here is how I reset my ecu, remove the fuse 30sec, I think the supra ppl do this also, same fuse, 30 sec, EFI fuse (25A)
I just checked my fuse box and im missing that fuse?

My fuses are lined up

[15] [15] [15] [10] [30] [X] [5] [25]

I bought my 2006 sc430 second hand. Whats the deal with the missing white fuse? Has my fuse box been modified in such a way to turn off the computer?
Old 10-21-11, 01:37 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sc430guy
I just checked my fuse box and im missing that fuse?

My fuses are lined up

[15] [15] [15] [10] [30] [X] [5] [25]

I bought my 2006 sc430 second hand. Whats the deal with the missing white fuse? Has my fuse box been modified in such a way to turn off the computer?
Missing fuse question is answered here

However, I pulled the ECU fuse (my car still started without it, I suppose that is not abnormal)

Unfortunately it did nothing for my ABS and VSC lights which still remain on, and now I can't adjust my steering wheel, the up and down tilt does not work sheesh
Old 10-21-11, 01:51 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by airahcaz
Unfortunately it did nothing for my ABS and VSC lights which still remain on
As i told you in the other thread UNTIL you actually fix the speed sensor that got ripped nothing short of pulling the bulbs will clear those lights....
Old 10-21-11, 02:34 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
As i told you in the other thread UNTIL you actually fix the speed sensor that got ripped nothing short of pulling the bulbs will clear those lights....
mechanic inspected and they don't appear to be ripped. I suppose what you're saying is to whip out the ohm and volt meter etc?

Secondly, failure in these sensors would cause both VSC AND ABS to fail?
Old 10-21-11, 02:57 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

mechanic inspected and they don't appear to be ripped. I suppose what you're saying is to whip out the ohm and volt meter etc?

OMG man...i even told you in another thread that ALTHOUGH they physically might appear to be ok when you take a meter and ohm them out i almost guarantee they will be bad. im done, moving on now....
Old 10-21-11, 03:28 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Like previously stated yes you need to actually check the sensors readings to see if they are in spec or possibly just open. A visual inspection is all good, but it doesn't test the sensors, they do go bad or read out of spec sometimes..

The VSC light likes to come on along with dozens of other codes and problems. It doesn't mean it's necessarily an issue with the VSC. The ABS/TRC/VSC are all functions of the ECU inside the cabin by your brake pedal. So some codes throw both VSC and ABS indicating it's a function originating from that module. As well as the VSC is triggered/controlled by readings from the abs rings, so yes a bad sensor can affect both systems.

Sometimes if your sure everything is correct and the hardware is fixed, you may still need to reset the ABS/TRC/VSC module. You do this by inserting a jumper wire or paperclip in the TC and E1 pins on the diagnostic port under the hood. Then turn the key to acc and press the brake pedal 8 times within 5 seconds and then turning the key off.

Last edited by 99 GS3; 10-21-11 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-21-11, 03:47 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
Like recommended previously stated yes you need to actually check the sensors readings to see if they are in spec or possibly just open. A visual inspection is all good, but it doesn't test the sensors, they do go bad or read out of spec sometimes..

The VSC light likes to come on along with dozens of other codes and problems. It doesn't mean it's necessarily an issue with the VSC. The ABS/TRC/VSC are all functions of the ECU inside the cabin by your brake pedal. So some codes throw both VSC and ABS indicating it's a function originating from that module. As well as the VSC is triggered/controlled by readings from the abs rings, so yes a bad sensor can affect both systems.

Sometimes if your sure everything is correct and the hardware is fixed, you may still need to reset the ABS/TRC/VSC module. You do this by inserting a jumper wire or paperclip in the TC and E1 pins on the diagnostic port under the hood. The turn the key to acc and press the brake pedal 8 times within 5 seconds and then turning the key off.
Thanks much - now on to revisit the speed sensor and price it out without having to spend over $200

I suppose if the sensor cannot determine the speed of the wheel, then the computer doesn't know when to apply the brakes, thus inhibiting ABS, and for that matter, VSC - so suffice to say that a bad speed sensor causes both to fail, whereas something else could cause only one to fail at a time.
Old 10-26-11, 10:17 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I did it this weekend and yes I see the difference in responce and accelration...
Old 12-14-11, 06:29 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better fuel economy a result of resetting the ecu also? Cars been getting progressively worse fuel economy since I got it and I hardly ever get on it.
Old 12-14-11, 07:48 AM
850Lexus
Pole Position

I use to do this for my G35 but the only thing it improved was the auto tranny's shifting
Old 12-14-11, 03:49 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

When you reset the ECU, you are brainwashing it and forcing it to relearn the parameters again. After the relearning process is completed it will run back to the normal state again. Not much benefit from resetting the ECU.
Old 12-15-11, 02:23 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^agreed. Was a pleasurable experience for the first, I'll say, 200 miles. Then back to normal.
Old 06-02-12, 05:12 PM
FASTEDDY
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the tip, ill also be doing this shortly. i read in another thread it take 10 starts and stops for the adaptive learning to be learned.
Old 09-23-13, 12:56 PM
xtcapple
Driver School Candidate

Default what else does resetting the ecu do?

Ok the reason for me asking this is because i have lost the only key that i have for my 2002 GS300. I am a starving student that has no money , zero, zilch, nada cent in my pocket at this time. i can't even get to work without a car and rent is due. I feel like my whole world is about to erupt. I plan on pawning whatever it takes to get the money to get a key cut or ignition replaced with a used one with a key.($90.00+/-) But I would still need to "flash" the ECU to allow the new key/ignition to reprogram or "teach" the ECU which will now be in "learn mode" . Thus matching the two together. SO MY QUESTION IS IF I RESET THE ECU IS THAT GOING TO DO THE SAME AS FLASHING IT. BOTH PUT IT INTO LEARN MODE. BUT WILL IT ALLOW ME TO TEACH IT WITH THE NEW IGNITION AND KEY? PLEASE SAY YES!!!! Thank you for your time and thoughts on this matter.

Quick Reply: How Often Do You Reset Your ECU?