Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: How Often Do You Reset Your ECU
Every Week
2.28%
Every Couple Weeks
3.64%
Every Month
6.15%
Every Few Months
16.63%
I Haven't Yet :eek:
71.30%
Voters: 439. You may not vote on this poll

How Often Do You Reset Your ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-02, 07:26 AM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what exactly is an ECU??? can someone explain this to me...

drew
Old 03-29-02, 07:34 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally posted by 99 GS 300
what exactly is an ECU??? can someone explain this to me...

drew

Drew,

Please read the entire post... If you had even read just one page back, you'd have seen the answer to your question.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=4
Old 03-29-02, 10:24 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by enginyr

I'll check tomorrow....Its been a while since I reset mine.

P.S. What are 2 Cactus's called.... Cactie?

thanks alot

I think cacti? hahahaha. I prefer cactuses.
Old 03-29-02, 01:23 PM
blue wax
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it once........but no great changes.
maybe this don't work on a 1st gen??!!!!

I just switch to power drive ...... and I fly, whenever I want.
I've been beatin a clk last week, 5 times in a row at traffic lights and twice up to aprox130 M/h.
just a great car the way it is.
love it
cheers
jacko
Old 03-29-02, 04:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
will resetting my ECU erase my NAV marked points as well? Radio and seats I can handle but getting rid of my NAV marked parts are too much.
If you just pull the fuse, NOTHING is reset, even the seats, radios and certainly the nav marked points are not affected. I expect the nav points will be fine even if you pull the battery terminal, but I expect you'll lose the other stuff.
Old 04-05-02, 12:39 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

You guys are hilarious!!!
I agree - the ECU needs to be reset after the car turns into the grandma version. I have a 1988 Toyota Supra that suffered from this REALLY badly! Resetting always made a huge difference!! I've been pleasantly surprised with the GS, though, even though I knew to look for this problem. I haven't really had to reset it yet, even though I do 90% highway driving. Punching the accelerator to the floor usually clears up the problem enough - I think Toyota must have learned how to overcome the "grandma factor". Also, using the manual shift and the PWR trans mode seems to bypass most of the easy-going mileage settings.

Try this as well, this used to work like a charm on my Supra: Reset the ECU. Then. on the VERY FIRST acceleration after restarting (like right after you pull out of your driveway), punch the accelerator to the floor. (HOLD ON!!!) This will set the ECU to maximum acceleration mode, and it will take the maximum time for it to gravitate back to optimum mileage settings for Grandma.

Happy motoring!!!
Old 04-05-02, 06:23 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna

If you just pull the fuse, NOTHING is reset, even the seats, radios and certainly the nav marked points are not affected. I expect the nav points will be fine even if you pull the battery terminal, but I expect you'll lose the other stuff.
Just for clarification (for other folks reading this post) - in a non-Navigation equipped GS you WILL lose your seat memory and your radio stations when you pull the ECU fuse... at least in a 98 GS4.
Old 04-07-02, 07:57 PM
MarsB007
Driver

Believe it or not, my 2001 GS300 was upshifting really really crappy (a huge jerk is more like it), so I took it to the Lexus dealership. After scratching their heads for 10 minutes, the master technician remembered about the learning feature. He unplugged the fuse, and in 5 minutes i was on my way with a perfectly normal shifting pattern as well as better response. I usually do it about once every few months just to get that responsive acceleration back.... and this was at the recommendation of the technician at Lexus.
Old 10-09-02, 05:53 PM
robertito
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is weird.

My mechanic at McGrath solved the problem last year (and I have duplicated the solution twice since) by pulling the EFI fuse, #38.

No settings are lost in this process, and it works perfectly.
Old 10-09-02, 09:51 PM
theseth
Rookie

the electronics in anything reset in 15 seconds so just leave it off for a min and then it should be ready to go. Same thing if you computer messes up just shut it off and unplug for 15 sec and it will rest everything inside.

theseth@aol.com
Seth
Old 10-10-02, 12:17 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

put a relay/switch at the fuse #38 location EFI. When the engine is off, the relay will cut this fuse. Thus, the car will auto reset everytime you turn it off, peak perf everytime you start the car (that is how we defeat OBD-II settings on the honda prelude, we did a similar thing, by putting the small switch in the car, to reset the ECU without open the hood =)

ODB-II ECU was designed to adapt to your driving pattern and detune extreme fuel setting over a long period of driving for the environment =). (if you don't know that already)

That is why you hear someone said SRT intake works great for me, I can feel it as soon as I put it in, and others said, i can't feel jack anymore after a few weeks of driving. (beside your dyno butt has adapting to the new joy level) the car has self-adjusted and detuned your mod out, but you will feel it again when you reset the ECU.

oldest trick in the book is to swap out to a ODB-I ECU (ie japanese version , hee hee, or have someone modified the ECU)

SRT "piggy back" ECU can do so much, but it's still an external device to the main ECU, modified MAP signal will not be as effective in a long run when the ECU adapt, that why you need to reset the ECU.
Lot of aftermarket mod out there are just for "entertainment purpose only", but companies will hide this facts away from you to get you to buy their product. not sayin that SRT does not work, it DOES, but the car will learn to compensate the full effect, that is why you need to reset it. =) once in a while

I would advise against "engin_ear"'s suggestion on floor the car right after reset. (not on a 15K engine dude

Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 10-11-02 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-10-02, 01:11 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by theseth
the electronics in anything reset in 15 seconds....
That's a pretty big statement Seth. Could you explain it to a non-electronics guy like myself?

I'm only skeptical since there have been occations (mulitple by members) where not leaving power suspensed to the ECU for a long enough time does not always reset everything. Sometimes, your seat positons will be kept, but not your radio stations, etc.
Old 10-10-02, 02:26 PM
mmeyerkopf
Driver School Candidate

I just tried the ECU Fuse method. I have a 2001 GS430. The seat memory and temp settings were cleared but the clock and radio were not.
Old 10-11-02, 03:42 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which is it? the ECU or the EFI. Also on my 02 GS430 there are two things labeled EFI.. what looks to be a fuse and the other is a larger black thing.

Also I could swear I saw more than one thing labeled ECU as well.

how about a picture?

btw, how did you guys remove the fuse? your fingers?

Last edited by Hohlraum; 10-11-02 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-11-02, 04:36 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default question on ecu thingy

i took off my battery terminal and i left it off for about 30 minutes. Did that reset my srt ecu? did that do the thing you all are speaking of? did that help out my performance? I am curious if i should do it again in light of installing my new exhaust (greddy pe) its on a 99 gs400 thanks for any help bryan

Quick Reply: How Often Do You Reset Your ECU?