Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: How Often Do You Reset Your ECU
Every Week
2.28%
Every Couple Weeks
3.64%
Every Month
6.15%
Every Few Months
16.63%
I Haven't Yet :eek:
71.30%
Voters: 439. You may not vote on this poll

How Often Do You Reset Your ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-02, 07:15 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I reset mine and @ first it was acting kinda funny, like it was trying to figure out what the hell happen. It does make a difference you just have to have something to compare it too. I have a G-tech that I used and it shows a better 1/4 mile time for me after the reset.
Old 02-16-02, 06:33 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default what's ECU?

uh.. i'm just a begginer

what ECU is?

and how often i should reset "it" ?
Old 02-16-02, 06:42 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

Pusher:

<"I have a G-tech that I used and it shows a better 1/4 mile time for me after the reset">

* Same conditions?
* How many before & after runs?
* What are the numbers?

In God we trust; all others bring data.
Old 02-17-02, 08:24 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

what's ECU ? and how often should i reset it??
Old 02-17-02, 09:20 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally posted by a1exus
what's ECU ? and how often should i reset it??
A1.

The ECU stands for Electronic Control Unit. One of the things it does is to monitor and learn the habits of the driver - if you drive hard all the time, it responds better. If you drive soft most of the time, it responds slower. Over time (since most of us don't floor the gas always) the GS settles into more normal driving patterns and loses some responsiveness.

You don't have to reset it at all... Some folks reset it to make their GS 'forget' the learned driving habits so that if you mash on the gas, it goes full throttle as it did when it was new.

How often? That's the purpose of this thread, try reading it from the top. Most folks don't reset it at all... I do mine about every 3-6 months.
Old 02-17-02, 01:26 PM
Drive4Fun
Driver

<"... if you mash on the gas, it goes full throttle as it did when it was new. ">

Are you SURE of that statement? It suggests that if the ECU is not re-set, then WOT cannot be obtained. I seriously doubt that. It's my bet that the ECU "learning" will reduce the sensitivity to pedal travel during the first part of the travel, but still allow WOT when the pedal is floored.

I'm looking for information; not trying to start an arguement.
Old 02-17-02, 02:16 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally posted by Drive4Fun
<"... if you mash on the gas, it goes full throttle as it did when it was new. ">

Are you SURE of that statement? It suggests that if the ECU is not re-set, then WOT cannot be obtained. I seriously doubt that. It's my bet that the ECU "learning" will reduce the sensitivity to pedal travel during the first part of the travel, but still allow WOT when the pedal is floored.

I'm looking for information; not trying to start an arguement.
D4Fun - No, I'm not absolutley sure about what changes when the ECU is reset, but I my guess is that it changes the drive-by-wire settings for how much fuel is delivered to the engine when you mash it. Why I don't think it is pedal travel (unscientific evidence, of course - any other theories are welcome):

If it was just the pedal travel, I should be able to point my car in straight line on flat ground and mash the gas pedal all the way to the floorboard and smoke the tires. Mine doesn't always do that after a couple of months of driving.

HOWEVER, after an ECU reset I can.

Just my guess. I'm sure WOT is eventually achieved, but arrives there slightly less quickly.
Old 02-17-02, 04:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

My impressions after ECU reset:

1) Downshifts were quicker
2) Throttle response was quicker
3) Upshifted at higher rpms

WOT is WOT of course - *IF* you slam the pedal to the metal, the car is going to shift at highest rpms, BUT prior to ECU reset, it was taking longer to downshift.
Old 02-17-02, 04:56 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

So any luck on that switch inside the car yet!
Old 02-17-02, 05:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by enginyr
I reset mine daily now. Usually when I go for coffee and pretend I know how to work on my car....lol
:eek: - ya know - I was wondering what it would take to run a wire from the fuse box through the firewall and into the car to a switch so we could just reset the ECU inside the car at will!
Old 02-17-02, 05:53 PM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by bitkahuna

:eek: - ya know - I was wondering what it would take to run a wire from the fuse box through the firewall and into the car to a switch so we could just reset the ECU inside the car at will!

I was thinking of doing the wire thing but then I thought about it. You couldn't flip the switch and leave the car because you wouldn't be able to arm your car. And if you flipped the switch once you got in the car, you'd have to wait 5-10 minutes before going anywhere .

Solution comming monday via ups.....Weopon R Intake/Cold Air Box & ECU......
Old 02-17-02, 09:10 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

OK, I'm drunk, however, this shouldn't be that tough. If we (collective ECU re-setters) run a wire from the ++ end of the ECU fuse and a wire from the - - end of the ECU fuse to a capable switch mounted in the interior, wouldn't this solve the "reset on demand" problem?? Has anyone done tests on how long it takes for the ECU to "reset"??

I know there are some very intelligent people here so if my example of how to do this is inaccurate, please elaborate.
Old 02-18-02, 07:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by enginyr
You couldn't flip the switch and leave the car because you wouldn't be able to arm your car. And if you flipped the switch once you got in the car, you'd have to wait 5-10 minutes before going anywhere .
I don't know of any reason you have to wait any time at all (that doesn't mean there isn't one, I just don't know why we have to wait!).

- Turn car off, flip switch, flip it back. Get out, lock/alarm it. Heck even do it at a light while waiting.
Old 03-28-02, 11:43 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

will resetting my ECU erase my NAV marked points as well? Radio and seats I can handle but getting rid of my NAV marked parts are too much.
Old 03-28-02, 11:56 PM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
will resetting my ECU erase my NAV marked points as well? Radio and seats I can handle but getting rid of my NAV marked parts are too much.

I'll check tomorrow....Its been a while since I reset mine.

P.S. What are 2 Cactus's called.... Cactie?

Quick Reply: How Often Do You Reset Your ECU?