Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Removing the cats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-07, 08:27 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I'd also recommend the Magnaflow high flow cat. That thing has worked like a charm for me down here, and I still pass emissions here.
Old 10-09-07, 09:06 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will also need to replace hi-flow cats more frequently.
Old 10-09-07, 10:48 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Folks, the stock cats ARE high flow!!!

In fact the Magnaflow "high flow" on that link are lower flow than the stock cats! Follow the Magnaflow link to the metal subtrate cats which are more expensive and higher flow. The stock cats are metal substrate (except for newer 430 engines, forget which year that change was made).

With dual high flow cats there is no noticeable peak loss and in fact a noticeable low range loss. This is due to the cats working like a one way check valve. The high temperature and pressure out flow from the exhaust port flows out the cat but the reversion pulse is blocked by the cat.

Leave them on. Also, do not focus on the pipe size as it is the core size that matters. Look at the Magnaflow metal substrate cats and notice they all have the same core regardless of "pipe" size.

Despite the cracking problems with the early runs on the headers they are still the best exhaust mod available for power AND the very important driving feel.
Old 10-09-07, 11:34 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I wouldn't remove my cats, it might sound like *** and the gains are not worth it.
Old 10-09-07, 03:52 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

going from a high flow cat to a test pipe will only give you a gain of 1 hp. I read this on a mag where they tested diffrent types of cats and that was the result. Also, if you plan to remove your cats, you will have to be tuned or you will run lean and get a cel.
Old 10-10-07, 04:12 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GSoup
Hey Kev. I removed my cats originally and I just couldn't bear the smell on a regular. Especially with all the stop and go traffic here in NYC. I eventually put a high flow cat and it made a world of difference in the way it smells, LOL.

Like GSteg said if anything just switch to a high flow cat.

Nick, the point of hollowing out your cat is to pass visual inspection. Your basically gutting out the cat which is the same thing as removing them.

For those interested, I went with the magnaflow 3" high flow cat. I got it for under $80 shipped. They have EPA compliant & CARB certified OBDII Catalytic Converters up to 3" inlets.

You can get them from www.hottexhaust.com. They are also having some sale going on where all items are discounted 10.5%. They offer free shipping on orders over $50, no sales tax and here's the coupon code so that you can get an additional 10% off.

At checkout use the code : hottsavings
Thanks, Soup! I may go hi-flow...but for now I won't worry about it. Headers will be next.

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
GSTeg, on a high power turbo car(400hp-ish) having a cat can cause up to a 40-50hp hit in horsepower figures. Pretty soon, with me pushing past 600hp the cat in place will cause an even bigger restriction in power. I'm all for cleaner air so that's why I'm gonna install a high flow cat...well when I have the money to do so(a high quality highflow isn't cheap) lol . I also have the electric dump so I can just open up the exhaust when I need maximum power. Then when I'm cruising I can close the dump and drive around and be ok with a big hp loss
No turbo here, so I wont have big hp losses. So I might as well reduce emissions.

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
Did your CEL come on right away when you installed your TC?
If it takes awhile for it to come on you might get it cleared just prior to getting your emissions test.
No, it was a delay, but it still comes on soon enough that I didn't have time to get down there for an emissions check.

So I'll just have to "get around" it each year.
Old 10-10-07, 04:21 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Kev. I removed my cats originally and I just couldn't bear the smell on a regular. Especially with all the stop and go traffic here in NYC. I eventually put a high flow cat and it made a world of difference in the way it smells, LOL.

Nick, the point of hollowing out your cat is to pass visual inspection. Your basically gutting out the cat which is the same thing as removing them.

For those interested, I went with the magnaflow 3" high flow cat. I got it for under $80 shipped. They have EPA compliant & CARB certified OBDII Catalytic Converters up to 3" inlets.

You can get them from www.hottexhaust.com. They are also having some sale going on where all items are discounted 10.5%. They offer free shipping on orders over $50, no sales tax and here's the coupon code so that you can get an additional 10% off.

OR u can use "lexus" as the code and save a couple bucks more but only works with $200 and up! so 2xmagnaflows for $223 and with both discounts...$178 with free shipping :drool:. keep the cats kev and if u didnt get rid of the resonators.
Old 10-10-07, 06:31 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

$178 shipped for a pair of magnaflow..God damn that's a great price. Makes me want to sell my borla to try out the Mags.
Old 10-19-07, 07:35 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i like having no cats on my cars. response is quick and has a nice humm to it
Old 11-29-15, 11:10 AM
clintdaddy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was wondering if you could please supply the model number☺

Also, dor you notice power gain or loss? Thanks for reviving an old thread!