Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My review of the borla off road exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07, 04:41 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Looking good Troy! Just a shame Borla pretty much lost all credibility on the 2IS after this writeup. When are you going to hit the track again?
Old 10-15-07, 08:41 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Waiting till it cools down some more. We are still wakeboarding if that tells you the temps right now.
Old 10-15-07, 01:31 PM
kicks
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
At that point when i sell it it's going to be a local pick up only
damnit combfilter... I wish you lived in northern cali
Old 10-15-07, 04:13 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by combfilter
OK here's the pics.. They should explain themselves and should close this thread other than questions.

all in all here's what you should take from it.

1. Build your own exhaust. bolt on exhaust are a joke, and there is about 10hp room for improvement in the 2is exhaust. Buy the right gear and go for it.

2. Borla makes great exhaust but unfortunately not for the 2is. This is hands down the worst exhaust fits this side of the pecos river. We know this is a borla problem too because the 3 people that had contributed to this thread all had the same problems.

3. The borla off road has drone at 1500-2000 rpm. I am pretty sure that any exhaust without the cats will.

4. Did I mention you could build your own at half the price these people are charging for exhaust? I mean heck the tanabe looks and sounds good but is 500. You could get a full cat back system done up for your (parts/labor included) for around 650-700.

5. WOT of the borla is great!

here's the pics of the corrections. Accelerate was pretty spot on, but i am curious if he ran into my 2nd problem after hammering it back (which basically means you are no longer snug up in the xpipe resonator section). My 2nd problem was that once i hammered back the midsection it put it back over my heatshield which i had to cut. see pics below and it will explain.

and finally i got the tips semi looking good.. Here's another quality flaw, they were welded on kind of at an angle.

OH yeah thanks again Accelerate. You set my mind at east knowing that I wasn't the only one with some fitting issues. Your suggestions were spot on also for the most part. I appreciate it.
No prob, I had the same issue with the exhaust shield to. I just bent mine away a little so it's away from the pipes. Hey did you think about contacting Borla about your prob., I'm going to email them about there premium exhaust, you know there (world know) exhaust builders they are supposed to be.
Old 10-15-07, 04:56 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Actually, I was going to contact you and see if wayntech would join in. I can point them to this thread, but I don't think they would like what i had to say. I just hate the fact that we are basically beta testers for their exhaust. Let me check out their website and find my warranty paper work. I think if we all 3 wrote them at once it would have a better impact than just one of us pointing them to this thread.

Did you happen to take pics of your heatshield?

Last edited by combfilter; 10-15-07 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-15-07, 05:25 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

No pic's of heat shield, but they do have a great warranty. Lets see how much they care.
Old 10-15-07, 08:37 PM
waynetech2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm up for some complaining...still like mine tho, but def could have been better
Old 10-16-07, 09:09 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

You're still wakeboarding? I'm surprised we still haven't run into you out there. The lake is starting to get pretty vacant, but we'll be Air Chairing out there for at least another month with wet suits.
Old 10-16-07, 10:32 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Yeah man, we are still hitting it twice a week. It's been like glass out there since all the girls gone wild boaters have docked their boats for winter. It's the best time to ride. We think we can make it till nov. without a half suit. Last thurs the water was actually warming than the outside air. Like when you got pulled up it was cold from the wind, but once you fell it was nice an warm. Fish must be pee'ing a lot. We are hoping can ride through dec with a half suit. After that, it's snowboard time.
Old 10-17-07, 09:59 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Acclerate and Waynetech:. I talked to David at borla today. he seemed really nice. I sent him shots of everything and explained to him what was going on. He told me to tell you guys to contact him directly. His ext. is 257 and their number is on their website. He was hoping one of you guys was in cali so you could stop by and they could take a look. So if anyone is in cali and has the borla offroad you might want to jump in. Give him a call and see what he says.
Old 06-02-08, 09:41 AM
Zexnos
Driver

Figured I would share some updated information. Called Ben (Ext. 270) at Borla about these issues to see if they have been addressed/corrected. After about 5 days I get the answer that Borla is very aware of the problem and has not made any changes to the design and have no plans to ever make changes to the system. He mentioned that the system now requires extra cutting and welding to make it fit correctly.

Thanks Borla.......
Old 06-13-08, 09:20 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Any HP numbers on the exhaust? Any news for the ISF?
Old 10-29-10, 10:16 AM
lancem
Driver School Candidate

Default Borla off-road

Troy, I love the review, just wish I'd seen your article before I bought my Borla.

I purchased mine at AutoAnything warehouse for $1,095, and they discounted 10% off ($1,064) with free shipping if you signed up with them for a first purchase. I was originally going to install myself, as I work at place that has a vehicle lift. I then checked with Meineke, and they said $120. I'm glad I did, as the install guy said that he had to cut off a bracket to make it fit.

I have to tell you, it does drone a little at a low load, but I LOVE the way it sounds. I was worried that it would be "ricey", but it sounds more like a F1 car to me. I have not dynoed yet, but with the K & N cold air kit, the exhaust, and the JET ECU recurve, I think I should be at 340hhp. I'll take it to the track in a couple of weeks, and let you know what I run.

Also, for the Texas guy, I don't think removing the second cat is going to fail a smog test. The secondaries are after the O2's, so they would only clean it up more. This car is already ultra low emmissions, so losing the second cat shouldn't make much of a difference.
Old 10-29-10, 02:42 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Interesting, I thought that the JET ECU upgrades were fake and did abousolutely nothing but lighten your wallet. What's the difference?
Old 11-01-10, 05:32 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaugster
Interesting, I thought that the JET ECU upgrades were fake and did abousolutely nothing but lighten your wallet. What's the difference?
That's pretty well in line with anything I've read on JET ECU products too...I suspect he's gonna be sorely disappointed with his dyno results if he's expecting to dyno 340 on an IS350.

Quick Reply: My review of the borla off road exhaust