Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS Stock Tranny Slippage

Old 09-25-07, 09:04 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS Stock Tranny Slippage

I've been reading many threads where instances of the GS's stock tranny slipping, especially with FI or Nitrous. And I agree the stock tranny is pretty weak. I have a GS400 with a TC and an SRT/HFI and chip; the added power and TC just put too much load on the stock tranny and it started slipping. The check engine light kept on coming on and when we coded it, it was due to transmission slippage. I've been looking at FI or Nitrous and knew the stock tranny would need some beefing up. I contacted IPT Performance transmission in NJ for a performance rebuild. I shipped my tranny from California to New Jersey and after a couple of weeks they shipped it back. IPT reconfigured the valve body, installed Raybestos Blue Plates with a 6-friction disk clutch pack, redesigned the lube system, etc. Bottom line is this transmission is so much stronger with instantaneous shifting and much greater acceleration. The car pulls much harder and feels like it has more power basically because the tranny isn't slipping anymore. It cost me about $3400 including shipping but it's well worth it given the weak stock tranny and especially if you're boosting the motor. Now the check engine light stays off. www/importperformancetrans.com
Old 09-25-07, 11:20 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I a race built tranny from TurboEast including the transmission, the full race build, and shipping included all for $2000. Yes, that includes a transmission and I don't have to send my stock one back to them

Supposedly it's supposed to hold about 550-600rwhp or so. I hope it stands up to their claims because I'm about to push it to those limits soon.
Old 09-26-07, 05:16 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

man..you guys are scaring me...I hope I don't need a rebuild anytime soon
Old 09-26-07, 07:12 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I a race built tranny from TurboEast including the transmission, the full race build, and shipping included all for $2000. Yes, that includes a transmission and I don't have to send my stock one back to them

Supposedly it's supposed to hold about 550-600rwhp or so. I hope it stands up to their claims because I'm about to push it to those limits soon.
Wow, 2k for a race built tranny without a core seems really cheap to me. I think a stock tranny is more; did they give you some kind of promo deal? Ever SRT is over 3k and you have to send them your tranny. IPT claims they do mods that are proprietory to IPT only so we'll see. I want to go with FI on the car, but living here in California I've got to find one CARB approved.
Old 09-26-07, 07:19 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Unfortunately, there are no FI systems that's carb legal. California isn't mod friendly
Old 09-26-07, 08:12 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

ProCharger makes CARB legal centrifugal superchargers; friends of mine are running them here in CA. Unfortunately I haven't seen a kit for the GS400 even though their website features a couple of SC 430's.
Attached Thumbnails GS Stock Tranny Slippage-sc-430.jpg  
Old 09-26-07, 08:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Yea. What I meant was there are no FI systems for the GS400 that's legal. If there is one, I'd be the first one to line up
Old 09-26-07, 10:23 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Hey GSteg:

I have a shop looking into a CARB certified California legal kit from Procharger for the GS400. I'll let you know what we come up with or may have to go with a tuner kit and fabricate a bracket. They've been pretty successful using the CARB Certified P-1SC Procharger SC on numerous applications. If it doesn't fly, have you looked into Nitrous?
Old 09-27-07, 04:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I'm not a nitrous person honestly. I just want more power all around, especially at the low revs. I can only have fun with nitrous for a short burst until I'm back at stock level

If you can get a kit CARB legal, then you'll have some buyers. California guys are itching to get our hands on some power mods!
Old 09-27-07, 06:58 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

with the crazy highway patrol and law enforcements cracking down on cars with mods....I'm glad I'm not in CA anymore. Even with Carb # you'll get tickets to go see the state Ref...
Old 09-27-07, 07:03 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai

Especially since they're out of business now and there isn't anybody to ship it back to! Hopefully you'll never have to, you got a great deal.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-27-07 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-27-07, 09:34 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Especially since they're out of business now and there isn't anybody to ship it back to! Hopefully you'll never have to, you got a great deal.
Yeah, got it on "clearance" you could say I guess lol. Not even sure if any shops would even warranty a race built tranny though. I mean, they pretty much know that you're gonna put it through some serious abuse so I highly doubt they would warranty it.
Old 09-27-07, 09:37 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most companies do not want to get an Executive Number in CA because it costs money. That's why the legal kits for Civics, Mustangs, Corvettes, NSX's are really expensive.
Old 09-28-07, 06:08 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Smile CARB Legal SC

Impo Performance has a Vortech Supercharger kit for the GS400 that runs about $6,000.00. They say it is 50 state legal and CARB Certified. I haven't checked it out other than e-mail contact with Impo. They have a website http://www.impoperformance.net
Old 09-28-07, 06:18 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I wanted to run the kit JPI is selling, but for $6k, the IMPO kit looks great. I can't afford to send my car to JPI and spend thousands on top of tuning and shipping. Not to mention, this kit is CARB legal which is basically seals the deal for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GS Stock Tranny Slippage