Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Club Tanabe

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-07, 10:50 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Club Tanabe

Well, I'm a new member of Club Tanabe. I had my wife drive it while I listen outside during take off and it sounds awesome. However, since I'm used to hearing (or not hearing) the stock exhaust for over a year, it's going to take some time for me to get used to the sound inside. It is louder around 2500 rpm or during take off. I almost feel sorry for my rear passengers. I know it will take some getting used to. I guess it was just the shock from being this quiet lamb to a raging beast. Let's see how I feel in a couple of months.
Old 09-06-07, 01:18 PM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it a reallly big difference in sound?... cuz i am looking to get the tanabe on the car but the vids, they take on it doesnt sound that loud
Old 09-06-07, 02:07 PM
kicks
Rookie

Welcome to the club Flip! The sound only gets better after a few hundred miles on it too... very subtle, deep tone. I think it matches the class of the IS perfectly. My only complaint would be that the exhaust note seems to disappear after 3k under WOT, but the engine sounds great under WOT so it's not that much of a complaint .

dAiLL3sT... the difference in sound compared to stock, while noticeable, is pretty quiet compared to other aftermarket exhausts. I think the videos on youtube actually sound pretty close to the real thing. I definitely recommend the Tanabe if you're looking for an exhaust that isn't too loud but has a nice, deep tone.
Old 09-06-07, 02:11 PM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

will the tanabe fit on the trc rear lip kit?
Old 09-06-07, 08:02 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by dAiLL3sT
is it a reallly big difference in sound?... cuz i am looking to get the tanabe on the car but the vids, they take on it doesnt sound that loud
IMO yes, from inside it's a big difference when you compare it to stock (I call the stock exhaust stealth mode). I cannot compare it to other exhausts as I haven't heared them to compare. I do hear that others are way louder. So I'm glad I got the Tanabe because I don't want it any louder inside. I just need to get used to the sound from inside during take off or around 2500 rpm. But hey, that's why I got it. I think stock is just way too quiet.
Old 09-06-07, 08:06 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
I almost feel sorry for my rear passengers. I know it will take some getting used to. I guess it was just the shock from being this quiet lamb to a raging beast. Let's see how I feel in a couple of months.
Feel sorry? My 38 y/o sister mother of 4 thought it was great. She loved the sound. You're right. Give it sometime for your ears to get used to it. I did.
Old 09-07-07, 07:15 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

I guess it depends who is riding in the back. Some people like the quiet ride because it is a Lexus, some think it is too quiet. But I put it on for me, not my passengers. Ok, it's the third day of driving with it and I'm starting to get used to the sound from inside. It is quiet while on cruising speed on the freeway (2000 rpm around 70 mph). With the radio on, it's comparable to stock. But it's there when you punch the gas to pass someone. I'm starting to appreciate it now.
Old 09-07-07, 08:12 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

I love the exhaust, I just wish the tip was a bit longer to stick out of my kit.
Old 09-07-07, 12:02 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cspec
I love the exhaust, I just wish the tip was a bit longer to stick out of my kit.
This is the same reason Why I havn't gotten it. I have the GFX kit, and it seems to really hide the nice tips Tanabe has. Is there a way to modify them so it extends a little bit? Any ideas people?

After reading the article that Javy Posted, behind the scenes article of how the exhausts are fabricated made me want one!!!
Old 09-07-07, 01:38 PM
kicks
Rookie

Originally Posted by cspec
Are you talking about the Vertex kit? I love that kit but that's the ONLY thing preventing me from purchasing it!
Old 09-07-07, 01:46 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

No dude... just kits in general.
Old 09-07-07, 06:11 PM
GRAPHyte
Driver School Candidate

Default Extension

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
This is the same reason Why I havn't gotten it. I have the GFX kit, and it seems to really hide the nice tips Tanabe has. Is there a way to modify them so it extends a little bit? Any ideas people?

After reading the article that Javy Posted, behind the scenes article of how the exhausts are fabricated made me want one!!!
Any muffler shop will be able to extend tips. Just a matter of cutting, adding pipe length, and welding. However the polished finish and overall design will be compromised.

Patrick
Old 09-07-07, 06:23 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAPHyte
Any muffler shop will be able to extend tips. Just a matter of cutting, adding pipe length, and welding. However the polished finish and overall design will be compromised.

Patrick
I have heard of this being done before. However I am still unclear as to where exactly you would cut?? Your saying the polished will be affected, assuming that you cut the actually tip off the muffler?
Is it possible to cut the piping that is behind the muffler and adding extensions at that part, appose to messing with the polished parts? Can anyone else with experience please chime in.
Old 09-07-07, 08:08 PM
GRAPHyte
Driver School Candidate

^ ^ ^ ^
You can add length to the back of muffler. Then you'd have to get creative with the hangers of the muffler, since it'll shift the position. Also keeping in mind the stability.

Best bet would be to see your local muffler shop.
Old 09-07-07, 09:07 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I'm a member of Club Tanabe too!
I think mine sounds better now that it's properly "broken in".

Quick Reply: Club Tanabe