Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Headers from ebay

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 09:18 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Headers from ebay

anyone try these headers on ebay or is it just a bogus claim getting 10-16 horses.. since i have a 250 i dont care too much about speed but i could use a bit more kick to it.. my motto is B****es love to cruise** no need for speed lol but still.. we need some headers for our cars!

Do a search on eBay...

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 07-24-07 at 04:14 PM. Reason: No eBal links, please...
Old 07-24-07, 12:16 PM
newis350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think that the headers are made by meagan racing and are for the is350. i doubt the headers will fit on a is350.
Old 07-24-07, 12:17 PM
newis350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by newis350
i think that the headers are made by meagan racing and are for the is350. i doubt the headers will fit on a is350.
ooppps.

i meant to type the the headers are for the IS250!!!!
Old 07-24-07, 04:10 PM
DC5tuner
Driver School Candidate

wow...that's pretty cheap for headers... the thing that worries me about this header is the piping. Alittle too small for a header, especially if this eliminates the cat. I would definitely wait till someone comes out with better headers.

Last edited by DC5tuner; 07-24-07 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-24-07, 09:09 PM
mazzuri
Driver

Originally Posted by DC5tuner
wow...that's pretty cheap for headers... the thing that worries me about this header is the piping. Alittle too small for a header, especially if this eliminates the cat. I would definitely wait till someone comes out with better headers.
What makes you think it's small?
Old 07-25-07, 04:11 PM
DC5tuner
Driver School Candidate

Well it clearly says that the collectors/pipings are 1.75 inches and 2 1/4 ...do the math. That = small. My race header is 2.5...that's the diameter pipings should be if a header is going to replace a cat.
Old 07-25-07, 06:58 PM
mazzuri
Driver

Well it clearly says that the collectors/pipings are 1.75 inches and 2 1/4 ...do the math. That = small. My race header is 2.5...that's the diameter pipings should be if a header is going to replace a cat.
I am sorry I should have known better. You are right.
Old 07-25-07, 07:26 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mazzuri
I am sorry I should have known better. You are right.
Any updates or progress?
Old 07-26-07, 01:11 PM
caribmon71
Rookie

So why even bother making them? Does this mean that their claim of 10 - 16 hp is completely false? It states 1.75" Primary Tubes / 2.25" Collectors.

Can someone explain this? For about $160, I'll do this mod if it'll yield a few extra horsies. I'm not going to bother if someone here with a good mechanical or engineering background will tell me that it is pointless due to those dimensions.

I believe that these are the same ones made by Megan Racing. I'm not familiar with them. Do they make junk? Anyone have any idea of what realistic numbers may look like?
Old 07-26-07, 01:51 PM
caribmon71
Rookie

I just got off the phone with Megan Racing. Let me see how much of this I can remember, because that guy talks real fast!

The OEM primaries taper down very quickly (where it is critical) and are very restrictive. The Megan's are significantly longer and have better and smoother bends than the OEM. They went as large as they could, due to space limitations. The primaries have the same inlet diameter as the exhaust exit ports on the engine (I don't know if I messed that up or not).

This WILL eliminate the catalytic converters. You must go to www.o2simulator.com and purchase a $35 device which splices into your o2 sensor to fool it into thinking that there is a catalytic converter in order to prevent a CEL. Here's the link to the actual part: http://webstore.o2simulator.com/inde...WPROD&ProdID=8

I spoke to the guy who installed it on an IS 250 that Megan Racing has. It took him about 6 hours. He states that he could have done it in 5 if he had pneumatic tools. He doesn't recommend the installation for novices. The install is difficult and a PITA, especially if done without pneumatic tools, due to the cramped engine bay. The headers have a 1 year manufacturer's warranty against defects in materials and / or workmanship.

These headers give the greatest gains on manual transmission equipped IS 250 models, but Megan Racing installed theirs on an automatic transmission equipped model. He tells me that the automatic transmission bleeds a lot of power between the crank and the wheels, but nevertheless, after dynoing on a DynoJet (as opposed to a DynoPack?), observed improvements of between 7 - 9 hp to the wheels. Some of this (I don't know how much) is attributable to the elimination of the excessively restrictive catalytic converter.

I'm almost sure I'm ordering a set before the week ends. I'll post once I receive the parts and again once I've installed the parts. I probably won't do a dyno, just to keep from getting upset if I don't see any gains, or worse yet, if I see a loss. Unless, that is, if someone wants to sponsor the Dyno runs .

For the price of these on eBay, it seems like an acceptable risk.

Opinions? Comments? Suggestions?

Please, don't tell me I should have purchased a 350 instead of trying to "race up" a 250. Obviously, if I could have, I would have. I've got no qualms admitting this was a money thing for me. Keep in mind that due to import taxes, a 350 will set you back $55,000USD in Puerto Rico. Not as bad as Hong Kong's 100% import tax or the ridiculously outrageous tax levied in the Netherlands; close to $200k over there!

Last edited by caribmon71; 07-26-07 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-26-07, 03:56 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll pitch in $20 for before AND after dyno testing. Surely there would be some other members that would do the same. However, instead of screwing around with the O2 simulartor, you should just have the secondary O2 sensors moved further back behind the secondary cats. I doubt an O2 simulator would ever work on a recent OBDII car (WBO2 primaries).
Old 07-26-07, 04:24 PM
DC5tuner
Driver School Candidate

Even though the diameter of the pipings are 2.25", the simple fact that it eliminates the cat proves that yall will gain significant power...how much is the question. The presence of the cat is what holds back the potential power the car can make. Someone be the guinea pig, and buy this.
Old 07-26-07, 04:30 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Even though the diameter of the pipings are 2.25", the simple fact that it eliminates the cat proves that yall will gain significant power...how much is the question. The presence of the cat is what holds back the potential power the car can make. Someone be the guinea pig, and buy this.
Where are you getting the 2.25" piping? The pipes are supposedly 1.75", and the collectors are 2.25". A header builder in another thread said that 1.75" is actually too large, and would reduce low end power. Eliminating cats doesn't prove anything either. This car has 4 cats, and the headers will only eliminate 2 of them. I removed the cats in my mid-pipe, and that maybe gave me 3-4 rwhp. I wouldn't even want to remove all 4 cats due to the soot that will constantly collect on the back of the car...
Old 07-26-07, 04:44 PM
DC5tuner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gernby
Where are you getting the 2.25" piping? The pipes are supposedly 1.75", and the collectors are 2.25". A header builder in another thread said that 1.75" is actually too large, and would reduce low end power. Eliminating cats doesn't prove anything either. This car has 4 cats, and the headers will only eliminate 2 of them. I removed the cats in my mid-pipe, and that maybe gave me 3-4 rwhp. I wouldn't even want to remove all 4 cats due to the soot that will constantly collect on the back of the car...
1.75"...wow, that's small. All that you've stated may be true. I'm trying to relate all this in terms to what I've gathered from my car. I guess I have abit to learn about the IS350. I'm trying to figure out yall's cars cuz I want to help my friend who owns one get into the performance/tuning side of this game. I just don't understand why 1.75" is too large...I'm thinking the bigger the pipes, the more flow (especially in terms of having no cat).
Old 07-26-07, 05:11 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Well, when it comes to exhaust, bigger is definitely not always better. It's all about velocity. I think a good way to "best guess" the apropriate size requirements as they would compare to your car is to look at your cylinder displacement compared to the IS250's cylinder displacement then also take into account the RPM ranges for each. Your pistons are 500 cc each, and the IS250's pistons are only 417 cc. Your engine also has a significantly higher redline, right? If so, you can probably take advantage of significantly larger primaries.

Quick Reply: Headers from ebay