Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Street Legal exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-07, 12:28 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Street Legal exhaust

The Lexus OEM HKS has got to be legal no matter what, but what about the Tanabe axle-back syste? Are they legal at all? What about emissions? I live in California and we have the toughest emissions law in the world.

From looking at the pictures of various exhaust systems, they seem to be all "axle-back" systems and not true cat-back.
Old 07-04-07, 01:08 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

theyre not axleback because i think mine came with more than just a muffler. im pretty sure you get the section 1 with it.
Old 07-04-07, 02:10 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take a look under your car, you'll see where the 3rd cat is where these 'axle back/cat back' exhausts hook up. For emissions, as long as its hooked up after the 3rd cat you'll be ok, as for noise thou, check your local laws and decide what you fancy the most.
Old 07-04-07, 07:20 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Oh wow, 3 catalytic convertors. Whew, I'm not use to that. Thanks for that info. That explains it. I feel more comfortable now with getting an exhaust put on. You know, it's really hard to make a decision between the OEM HKS, HKS Hi-Power, and the Tanabe. These are fairly popular and as good as they sound on YouTube, I'll bet you just have to be there in person to hear each one. The Tanabe exhaust are a lot cheaper as with the HKS Hi-Power. But I feel the Lexus OEM HKS sounds super sweet, but at a very high cost!!! Plus, the tip looks darn sexy.
Old 07-04-07, 12:35 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

This might help:
Attached Thumbnails Street Legal exhaust-lexus_is_250_8w.jpg  
Old 07-04-07, 12:43 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
The Lexus OEM HKS has got to be legal no matter what, but what about the Tanabe axle-back syste? Are they legal at all? What about emissions? I live in California and we have the toughest emissions law in the world.

From looking at the pictures of various exhaust systems, they seem to be all "axle-back" systems and not true cat-back.
There are plenty of SoCal locals with the Tanabe exhaust. What is the concern, you don't have to worry about a smog check until 2013.
Old 07-04-07, 12:48 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Im just gonna see if i can do a muffler swap, it'll be way cheeper, i like the NOISE borla makes, since theres no headder/xpipe yet for the 350 im not gonna waste money on a true catback borla exhaust.

The 350 is fast enough for me stock. 'if i wanted a sports car i wouldnt have bought a lexus to begin with'
Old 07-04-07, 03:49 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ben_r_
This might help:
Wow, great diagram. If there was a rep system, I would give you tons right now just for that!!!!! So that piece by the "B" is another piece of the catalytic convertor? I've never seen one so far back. It looks almost like a resonator of some type.

Originally Posted by flipside909
There are plenty of SoCal locals with the Tanabe exhaust. What is the concern, you don't have to worry about a smog check until 2013.
Still, I like to be legal because I plan on making this car a keeper. I realize that 03 models and up don't need SMOG for like 6 years, but after that, I like to be able to get my tags without a problem. But perhaps it's a good point because I can get a Tanabe now, then 6 years later do something else.....

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Im just gonna see if i can do a muffler swap, it'll be way cheeper, i like the NOISE borla makes, since theres no headder/xpipe yet for the 350 im not gonna waste money on a true catback borla exhaust.

The 350 is fast enough for me stock. 'if i wanted a sports car i wouldnt have bought a lexus to begin with'
I also thought about doing just a muffler swap too. But I'm thinking the completer version comes with larger diameter piping too. You know what I'm also thinking about doing? Custom all the way. I mean, I'll purchase an HKS muffler, but I'll have the pipes down custom at a muffler shop. That Transformers movie really made me notice the Camaro and the Mustang Cobra. Wow, they sound good. Borla looks like it can do it.....

I have a question though. How big are the stock exhaust pipes (diameter wise)? And how big are the HKS and Tanabe cat back systems?
Old 07-04-07, 04:19 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

The car has 2 CATS on the Manifolds.. (you can not see them in the diagram)

..then in the huge mid section there are 2 CATS & then comes the Y with Large Resonator ..
that is all one piece..

..followed by the Rear section which includes the 2 mufflers which is again all one piece.

- Joe Z
Old 07-04-07, 04:35 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

So that large canister looking thing just before the "Y" is the resonator? If that's the case, cat back systems need to replace that too. In my view for a true cat back, the two pipes in the picture where the catalytic convertors are need to be cut. Then you weld larger piping after the catalytic convertor all the way to the rear where you weld on performance muffler. That piece of resonator can be removed or perhaps replaced with a glass pack or something.
Old 07-04-07, 05:36 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
So that large canister looking thing just before the "Y" is the resonator? If that's the case, cat back systems need to replace that too. In my view for a true cat back, the two pipes in the picture where the catalytic convertors are need to be cut. Then you weld larger piping after the catalytic convertor all the way to the rear where you weld on performance muffler. That piece of resonator can be removed or perhaps replaced with a glass pack or something.
i agree
Old 07-04-07, 07:32 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

It's because I had a true back before for my Nissan Altima equipped with a Flowmaster 40 Series muffler. Lots of welding was involved. My Toyota Corolla previously was an axleback from TRD even though a lot of idiots called it a cat-back exhaust system. I mean, isn't "cat-back" refer to: upgraded exhaust which includes pipes and muffler "directly after" the "catalytic convertor"? I can udnerstand bolt on exhaust can't do that unless you get someone to actually "cut" the pipes right after the convertor, then weld in place (adding additional piping as necessary to complete the system changeover).

Because of my interest on hooking up an exhaust for my IS, I'm looking for a true cat back system. The Lexus OEM performance exhaust is also a direct bolt on axle back system and not a true cat back.

The picture shown here......

.....includes only the "y" pipe and dual performance muffler (tip too). But the resonator piece and on back is still stock which leads me to believe that it's another OEM axle-back exhaust system.

I can't find any decent pictures of the HKS Hi-Power exhaust to compare to so I can't say if it's the same as the OEM. I do know that they do use a different HKS muffler from what I can see. That's it.
Old 07-04-07, 07:43 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_r_
This might help:
Wow, I dont think that is a US spec car. I've put my car on the lift many times and I dont recall seeing some of those covers. Especially the "B" ones.
Old 07-04-07, 07:54 PM
Cleric
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Wow, I dont think that is a US spec car. I've put my car on the lift many times and I dont recall seeing some of those covers. Especially the "B" ones.
Yeah exactly what I was thinking. I wonder if those are for Canada spec IS, perhaps to mitigate corrosion?
Old 07-04-07, 07:56 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

I've never looked under the bottom of my car so I don't know what it even looks like. But I hear the extra panels on the bottom helps improve the aerodynamics of the IS. For corrosion purposes, it can hold true in snowy climates due to the salt on the roads, but that still leaves the pipes vulnerable. Then again, it gets so hot under there ...

Quick Reply: Street Legal exhaust