Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I want to change the differential oil..

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-07, 06:26 PM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to change the differential oil..

Whats up all, I was just wondering if anyone has knows of a DIY for changing the differential oil? Let me know if you know of one. Thx
Old 06-20-07, 06:38 PM
Euphoric
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Just did mine last weekend, you need a 10mm Hex wrench for the drain and fill plugs.

http://bananags.netfirms.com/GS_DIY/...iff/index.html
Old 06-20-07, 07:02 PM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I changed the differential fluid, along with the engine oil, ATF, and PS fluid. By the look/condition of the fluids, they were overdue for a change. Here are some pictures taken during the differential fluid change. Some advice: loosen the fill bolt (top) first before you remove the drain bolt. This will ensure that you will be able to fill the differential later on in the process. If you get the drain bolt loosened and remove all the fluid and cannot get the fill bolt open, then you will be out of luck (unable to fill it)!

Here is a picture of the drain bolt loosened. It takes quite a bit of force. Make sure the hex tool is completely seated inside of the hex bolt. If not, stripping is likely. The fill bolt has been loosened beforehand (not pictured):

Note the color of the fluid. It has probably never been changed:

Metal fragments (black) that were wiped off the magnet portion of the drain bolt:

Some of supplies needed for change:

Note the color of clean Mobil 1 fluid:

Driving impressions: after changing the 4 types of fluid, the car was noticably smoother! Better shifting, acceleration, and turning, plus decreased engine noise were all the changed factors. Good luck!
Old 06-21-07, 06:11 AM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Thank guys, I really appreciate it. Is there only one differential to change the oil on...(hopefully that isn't a stupid questions) I'm pretty good when it comes to DIY stuff for cars, I have never messed around with differentials tho.
Old 06-21-07, 06:46 AM
Euphoric
Pole Position

Yep, just one.
Old 06-21-07, 07:39 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Chenzo26
Thank guys, I really appreciate it. Is there only one differential to change the oil on...(hopefully that isn't a stupid questions) I'm pretty good when it comes to DIY stuff for cars, I have never messed around with differentials tho.

differential is just like an oil change, except differential fluid stinks!
Old 06-21-07, 10:25 AM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
differential is just like an oil change, except differential fluid stinks!
It also takes a bit longer (depending on tool used). You can only add small amounts with the turkey baster each time. But 1.5qt is not that much fluid. Put some rags down because the process can get a little messy.
Old 06-21-07, 10:27 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

With my RX300, that rancid, old egg smell is something I would love to attach (if one could attach smells along with photos), it will never leave your mind. Interesting thing was that the smell only appeared with my transfer case up front, but the old oil in the rear had no smell, but plenty of crud on the drain plug.
Old 06-21-07, 10:57 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by whazzzzuup
It also takes a bit longer (depending on tool used). You can only add small amounts with the turkey baster each time. But 1.5qt is not that much fluid. Put some rags down because the process can get a little messy.
Throw out that turkey baster and get yourself a hand pump guys.. You can purchase it here. http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/g2039.aspx

Old 06-21-07, 12:09 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Throw out that turkey baster and get yourself a hand pump guys.. You can purchase it here. http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/g2039.aspx

Dash, will this pump fit other 75x 90 fluid containers? or just the amsoil fluid?

BTW.. Nice write up.. what a difference in fluid color..
Old 06-21-07, 12:24 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Dash, will this pump fit other 75x 90 fluid containers? or just the amsoil fluid?

I believe the Amsoil one should fit other brands. But, most auto parts stores sell the hand pumps for differential fluid for $3 or so.
Old 06-21-07, 12:43 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I believe the Amsoil one should fit other brands. But, most auto parts stores sell the hand pumps for differential fluid for $3 or so.
Thanks Dash..
Old 06-21-07, 01:17 PM
Euphoric
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tmf2004

I have one I bought at at Autozone or some other autoparts store (it's just a generic pump), works great and fits pretty much everything. I have a gallon jug of Redline diff fluid I just used for the Lexus and it fit on that and I have used it in the past with Royal Purple quart containers.
Old 06-21-07, 04:27 PM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

The owner's manual says use 80W-90, but I see everyone is using 75W-90. What's the reason to use the 75 weight?
Old 06-22-07, 10:26 AM
kmaynard
Driver School Candidate

I am getting ready to do this also, dealer said it was dirty and wanted $50 (they are doing my 30k service). I told them no, of course.

I have the same question as Chenzo26, why use 75W instead of 80W?

Quick Reply: I want to change the differential oil..