Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I want to change the differential oil..

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 08:19 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

It should be good enough. Our differentials do not require anything special. Even non-synthetic fluid works well.
Old 02-02-10, 03:35 PM
DIAD IV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kennylexsc
I did my on my 2000 gs300 at 150k, it's the first time I ever done it, and I am glad that I just had differential oil done, it's good for the car and rear wheels or whatever anyways.

It used the mobil 1 gear lubricant,
I just did the same thing today. I also used Mobil 1 and my car has 135k it came out really dark and poured out like molasses. If it wasnt for this forum i probably would have never changed it....
Old 07-20-10, 08:34 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently changed the differential oil too.

I was expecting the used oil to come out real black and viscous, but the oil actually very clear and not viscous.

The new oil I put in had a darker color and was more viscous...
Old 07-25-10, 10:01 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just changed mine out yesterday along with the spark plugs, I dont think differential fluid turns fully black like oil but mine definatley was due for a change the plug was really dirty with metal fragments
ATF is next
Old 07-26-10, 08:46 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4life86
I just changed mine out yesterday along with the spark plugs, I dont think differential fluid turns fully black like oil but mine definatley was due for a change the plug was really dirty with metal fragments
ATF is next
I'm wondering if what you saw on the diff. plug was actually some sort of anti-sieze material. I noticed the same slick/greasy metallic looking material on the plug when I did this service on our 00 Lincoln LS.

Last edited by jjbenzo; 07-26-10 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-26-10, 09:09 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but why would there be antiseize there, its past the threads on the bolt I think its just metal fragments that are very small?? even though it is like a little different than metal fragments now im interested
Old 07-26-10, 10:15 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

I found the same thing on my plug. They are microscopic metal fragments.
Old 07-26-10, 10:57 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

diff oil isnt really supposed to turn black since there is no combustion inside there like the engine/engine oil goes through lol...

and yes the sludge looking stuff on that magnetic drain nut is metal shavings. just clean it n screw it back in then fill.
Old 07-26-10, 11:21 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

I wasn't expecting it to come out pitch black, but not clear. My oil was perfectly clear, not even golden.

When you look at page 1 post #3, that oil isn't exactly clear.

I did have some shavings, not in the oil, but on the plug.
Old 09-19-10, 09:52 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Quick question everyone. I have the car up on ramps as I write this and am needing help. It appears as if there are 3 fill bolts at the top of the rear differential on my 02 GS430. There are 2 on the left, and 1 on the right. None of them take a 10 mm hex like the drain bolt does. Which one am I to remove in order to fill the differential back up with fresh fluid?

The only other option I see is a bolt on the passenger side of the differential, closer to the front. This is a 10 mm bolt, but the problem I am having here is that my hex wrench has no room to play and hits the exhaust.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

UPDATE: Well, I got the fluid changed. However, beings that I had the car's rear end up on ramps, I was not able to drain all of the old fluid. Total I ended up putting about 1.5 qts in before it started leaking out of the filler hole.

Last edited by jjbenzo; 09-19-10 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-20-10, 01:31 AM
Blk04GS430
Driver

Hi guys! This is going to be my 1st time changing the differential oil and Im not sure of when I need to use the hand pump. I know you have to remove the drain bolt and drain the oil but is the hand pump to to drain the remaining fluid out after it no longer comes out of the drain bolt area or is it when you refill it only? Can I just hold the bottle to the refill hole and just squeeze it in? I read this whole thread and other threads but Im a little confused. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-20-10, 06:47 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Blk04GS430
Hi guys! This is going to be my 1st time changing the differential oil and Im not sure of when I need to use the hand pump. I know you have to remove the drain bolt and drain the oil but is the hand pump to to drain the remaining fluid out after it no longer comes out of the drain bolt area or is it when you refill it only? Can I just hold the bottle to the refill hole and just squeeze it in? I read this whole thread and other threads but Im a little confused. Thanks in advance for your help.
You will remove the lid to the differential fluid bottle and then screw on the pump/hose. You have to use this b/c there is no room for you to simply tilt the bottle upsided down and poor it in...plus you would make a huge mess.

As I learned yesturday, the filler hole/bolt is on the passenger side of the rear differential towards the front. The drain bolt is easy to see, it is on the bottom right side towards the back.

The only other thing I could suggest is to use a suction pump (hand pump) to suction out the remaining .3-.4 qts once it stops draining out of the drain hole. I did not do this as I forgot until after I had already filled it back up with new fluid. Also, make sure you wipe clean the drain bolt. It has a magnet on the end so it can attract metal fragments. Be sure to clean it off before reinstalling.
Old 09-20-10, 02:27 PM
Blk04GS430
Driver

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
You will remove the lid to the differential fluid bottle and then screw on the pump/hose. You have to use this b/c there is no room for you to simply tilt the bottle upsided down and poor it in...plus you would make a huge mess.

As I learned yesturday, the filler hole/bolt is on the passenger side of the rear differential towards the front. The drain bolt is easy to see, it is on the bottom right side towards the back.

The only other thing I could suggest is to use a suction pump (hand pump) to suction out the remaining .3-.4 qts once it stops draining out of the drain hole. I did not do this as I forgot until after I had already filled it back up with new fluid. Also, make sure you wipe clean the drain bolt. It has a magnet on the end so it can attract metal fragments. Be sure to clean it off before reinstalling.
thanks for the good info and clearing it up.
Old 12-08-10, 05:28 PM
Euro09
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok im a little confused here...how do you put the new oil back in after you drain the old one out ?

Andy
Old 12-08-10, 10:00 PM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

The oil I used came in a 1L bottle with some kind of nozzle (which you pull out of the cap). You just fill through the upper hole untill it overflows.

Quick Reply: I want to change the differential oil..