Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Official Tranny Cooler Thread for the 2GS

Old 06-19-14, 08:20 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BertDeclan
I am looking for some 1UZFE owners w/ Trans coolers and also have needle or digital gauges. Will those who do, if you have a moment, let me know what your High temp readings are? I'd really like to compare yours to mine. I'll be installing a PI Dragon TC shortly and would like some normal/high temps info from you guys. I'm trying to decide whether I should switch to Amsoil, or if I can stay w/ the Toyota IV ATF. Even in stop 'n go traffic, my gauges (oil or trans temp) rarely go over 205-210F. Just had the transmission flushed/filled by Toyota about 6 mnths ago. I've read in forums that Amsoil runs cooler, but by how much? I haven't seen any real numbers. If any of you HAVE switched, and know the operating temps' difference, that info would be GOLDEN! Thanx in advance...
where do you have your sensor located for the trans fluid? im just curious and your post made me think i should throw a gauge on there too

but in any case..im curious about these numbers too. i currently have amsoil but no cooler installed yet
Old 06-19-14, 09:27 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by marshun
where do you have your sensor located for the trans fluid? im just curious and your post made me think i should throw a gauge on there too

but in any case..im curious about these numbers too. i currently have amsoil but no cooler installed yet
if you do the install please post some detailed pics... My B&M is sitting in the room waiting to be installed lol... I'm have general idea but pics always help... Also pics of the cooler and its lines...
Old 06-19-14, 06:46 PM
marshun
Advanced

Originally Posted by tmf2004
if you do the install please post some detailed pics... My B&M is sitting in the room waiting to be installed lol... I'm have general idea but pics always help... Also pics of the cooler and its lines...
its a pretty easy install to do. i've done other cars and its just throwing it in and putting the hoses on.

the part that takes the longest is deciding where to mount the little radiator. hehe.
Old 08-19-14, 03:22 PM
ILL05GS
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to install a cooler on mine, it's really easy with some adapter fittings that come with most universal kits. Now my only question is, what would you guys say the optimal size would be? I don't want one that is too big to overcool the fluid. Ever since I did the pressure regulator adjustment my center console is getting very hot being right above the transmission tunnel unless I have the AC on. It's usually 90-110F here and I gate shift unless I'm on the freeway so my trans sees a lot of load.
Old 08-19-14, 03:54 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by ILL05GS
I'm going to install a cooler on mine, it's really easy with some adapter fittings that come with most universal kits. Now my only question is, what would you guys say the optimal size would be? I don't want one that is too big to overcool the fluid. Ever since I did the pressure regulator adjustment my center console is getting very hot being right above the transmission tunnel unless I have the AC on. It's usually 90-110F here and I gate shift unless I'm on the freeway so my trans sees a lot of load.
please take some detailed pics of the connections into the tranny lines. thanks
Old 08-19-14, 03:57 PM
ILL05GS
Driver

please take some detailed pics of the connections into the tranny lines. thanks
I will when I get it done. Just need to decide on what size cooler to go with. What are you guys out there using size wise?
Old 08-19-14, 04:09 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by ILL05GS
I will when I get it done. Just need to decide on what size cooler to go with. What are you guys out there using size wise?
I got the b&m one years ago that was linked and used by other members. do t know the size but it's not to big. it has to fit in front of the radiator so it can't be to big
Old 08-19-14, 04:11 PM
ILL05GS
Driver

I got the b&m one years ago that was linked and used by other members. do t know the size but it's not to big. it has to fit in front of the radiator so it can't be to big
Do you mind measuring it out for me?
Old 11-08-14, 08:32 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the biggest Hayden one they sell - it's for like 28000GVW or something.

About 10x10 or 10x12 - it's mounted sideways on the pass side in front of the AC condenser.

Only thing I did was move the horn over to another pre-existing bolt.

I figured go big or go home.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-679
Old 11-09-14, 08:41 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by angus
I bought the biggest Hayden one they sell - it's for like 28000GVW or something.

About 10x10 or 10x12 - it's mounted sideways on the pass side in front of the AC condenser.

Only thing I did was move the horn over to another pre-existing bolt.

I figured go big or go home.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-679
can you PM pics and pics of how the lines are routed
Old 11-09-14, 09:47 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 765 Likes on 668 Posts

Is the return line the one on the driver side??? Bent Fitting

Thanks
Old 01-27-16, 01:35 AM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yo guys, know its an old thread, but putting in a new radiator today, one of the threads on the trans cooler got damaged. If I can't get it fixed, I'm going to go for a trans cooler. Will I run into any issues bypassing the factory (rad) cooler? I'm in Australia where it doesn't get excessively cold (lowest temp I would get is around 5-10 deg C / 40-50 F)

edit - Spoke to an auto trans place and they gave me the all clear to bypassing the factory in radiator cooler

Last edited by Bhubb18; 01-27-16 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-27-16, 11:06 PM
ILL05GS
Driver

Originally Posted by Bhubb18
Yo guys, know its an old thread, but putting in a new radiator today, one of the threads on the trans cooler got damaged. If I can't get it fixed, I'm going to go for a trans cooler. Will I run into any issues bypassing the factory (rad) cooler? I'm in Australia where it doesn't get excessively cold (lowest temp I would get is around 5-10 deg C / 40-50 F)

edit - Spoke to an auto trans place and they gave me the all clear to bypassing the factory in radiator cooler
Yes you can bypass it with an external cooler. Remember- your factory atf cooler is only as efficient as your engine cooling system. By bypassing it, you no longer rely on the engine cooling system. Therefore efficiency goes up!
Old 01-30-16, 05:18 AM
marshun
Advanced

but if you live somewhere that gets too cold, then your atf might not be able to hit the operating temp. something you might want to keep in mind
Old 03-07-16, 11:36 AM
sung35
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read the entire post from first to last, and still have not find any picture to indicate which line go where. I had the external transmission cooler install a while ago by Mo SRT. He bypassed the factory cooler. Now I want to remove the external transmission cooler and reconnect the transmission hoses back tot he factory transmission cooler. If anyone can help me out with pictures of where the lines should go, I am really appreciate it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official Tranny Cooler Thread for the 2GS