Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fujita F5 Ram Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 07:22 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fujita F5 Ram Air Intake

Hey guys, I have a couple of questionas about this intake. How is it on the IS350. What do u guys think about it and any suggestina on different ones?
Attached Thumbnails Fujita F5 Ram Air Intake-sr2408.jpg  
Old 05-10-07, 07:44 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with the Fujita SRI over anything other intakes out for the IS right now.

Based on some testimonials, it has the best fit, sporty growling sounds in the higher RPM range, and low noise levels when the engine is idling.

However, don't expect much of a performance gain with an after-market intake for an IS 350...or at least not with the ones currently available.

I've read that the maximum horsepower gain is give and take 5 HP.

Also, you will supposedly lose lower end power but gain higher end power.

Anyways, read more about the after-market intakes here:

http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259800

Last edited by joonsta; 05-10-07 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-10-07, 07:51 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joonsta
I'd go with the Fujita SRI over anything other intakes out for the IS right now.

Based on some testimonials, it has the best fit, sporty growling sounds in the higher RPM range, and low noise levels when the engine is idling.

However, don't expect much of a performance gain with an after-market intake for an IS 350...or at least not with the ones currently available.

I've read that the maximum horsepower gain is five.

Also, you will supposedly lose lower end power but gain higher end power.

Anyways, read more about the after-market intakes here:

http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259800
hey what do you mean by this, you will supposedly lose lower end power but gain higher end power. Im kinda new to this intake stuff, but thanks for helping me out.
Old 05-10-07, 08:13 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
hey what do you mean by this, you will supposedly lose lower end power but gain higher end power. Im kinda new to this intake stuff, but thanks for helping me out.
Don't worry, I'm no car guru either.

If I'm right, you will see that an after-market intake for the IS will decrease your low-end horsepower and torque at lower RPM levels on the track and/or dyno.

However, when you hit higher RPM levels, you will see that your car has more horsepower and torque than before.

Also, I believe low-end power determines how fast you will launch, while high-end power determines how well you can pull closer to a car in front of you in during a race.

So the bottom line is, when you're racing or pulling a WOT, your after-market intake will make your IS feel slower in the beginning.

But later on, you will see that your IS feels smoother when you push the gas pedal at higher speeds.

Hope that cleared things up.

Last edited by joonsta; 05-10-07 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-10-07, 08:20 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Don't worry, I'm no car guru either.

If I'm right, you will see that an after-market intake for the IS will decrease your low-end horsepower and torque at lower RPM levels on the track and/or dyno.

However, when you hit higher RPM levels, you will see that your car has more horsepower and torque than before.

Also, I believe low-end power determines how fast you will launch, while high-end power determines how well you can pull closer to a car in front of you in during a race.

So the bottom line is, when you're racing or pulling a WOT, your after-market intake will make your IS feel slower in the beginning.

But later on, you will see that your IS feels smoother when you push the gas pedal at higher speeds.

Hope that cleared things up.
OK so have you had experience with this or you just know it. If you have had the experience than how big of a difference does it make on the low end horspower and does the PWr button helpto even it out???
Old 05-10-07, 08:42 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
OK so have you had experience with this or you just know it. If you have had the experience than how big of a difference does it make on the low end horspower and does the PWr button helpto even it out???
I don't have an after-market intake, and I probably never will.

My knowledge on the after-market intakes is solely based on actual owners' words and some dyno charts.

And based on the owners' words, most of them don't even seem to feel a difference in performance, and some of them just got the intakes just for the growl.

However, keep in mind that replacing your OEM intake could lead to problems such as the MAF sensor going wild or your air/fuel ratio being messed up.

Those problems seldom happen, but I'm just giving you a heads up.

So pretty much, if you enjoy the sound that the after-market intakes provide, and are willing to take the small but present risk, go purchase an after-market intake.

Oh, and FYI, the ECT PWR button isn't some magical hyperspace button.

All the ECT buttons do is govern your throttle response, so that your gas pedal becomes more or less sensitive to pressure.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 05-10-07, 08:43 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

im debating over the F5 and the injen, but i heard the injen has a deeper and better sound. but then again the injen is about $30-$40 more.
Old 05-10-07, 09:07 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

K&n Ftw!!!
Old 05-11-07, 03:39 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

My knowledge on the after-market intakes is solely based on actual owners' words and some dyno charts.

And based on the owners' words, most of them don't even seem to feel a difference in performance, and some of them just got the intakes just for the growl.

However, keep in mind that replacing your OEM intake could lead to problems such as the MAF sensor going wild or your air/fuel ratio being messed up.

So pretty much, if you enjoy the sound that the after-market intakes provide, and are willing to take the small but present risk, go purchase an after-market intake.

All the ECT buttons do is govern your throttle response, so that your gas pedal becomes more or less sensitive to pressure.

hey thanks for the heads up, actually now that you tell me i might not even get if there is a risk. but thnks for all you help man i might just look for an exhaust for an alternative then.
Old 05-11-07, 04:22 PM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

I have the same intake w/Tanabe exhaust and everything said here is TRUE.
Old 05-11-07, 04:23 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldnt get any of those, the K&N hands down will perform better than both, and on top of that it comes with a heat shield. The LMS, Ive heard is just garbage, something to do with the fitment. The Fujita like the LMS just sucks in all the hot air the engine is producing, thats why I would choose the K&N. I know there are people out there that dont really believe in the stuff the see or read, but just FYI there was a recent dyno with the K&N and it made gobs of power all across the board. And just let me add that K&N has been in business for how long??? Long time
Old 05-11-07, 04:32 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

On the air fuel ratio subject, intakes dont take in that much air to throw your a/f off that much, most filters on intake use a oil based filter thats why you might get a MAF sensor going crazy. Ive heard that the LMS before had problems with the filter coming in too oily and messing up the MAF. I think a good way to avoid the MAF getting messed up is to change the filter, the one I like now is the new AEM dryfilter.

Old 05-11-07, 08:25 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
I wouldnt get any of those, the K&N hands down will perform better than both, and on top of that it comes with a heat shield.
The heat shield doesn't encapsulate the filter element. It's not going help much, if at all. At least K&N acknowledges the heat issue even though it's solution is not particularly effective. But I guess it's better than nothing.

I know there are people out there that dont really believe in the stuff the see or read, but just FYI there was a recent dyno with the K&N and it made gobs of power all across the board. And just let me add that K&N has been in business for how long??? Long time
You can count me as one of those that don't believe. The dyno that K&N put out has some obvious 'issues.'

There's a reason many in the aftermarket community disregard manufacturer's dyno plots.
Old 05-11-07, 09:44 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
The heat shield doesn't encapsulate the filter element. It's not going help much, if at all. At least K&N acknowledges the heat issue even though it's solution is not particularly effective. But I guess it's better than nothing...
I thought the same thing until I examined my K&N intake after a couple of thousand miles. When I rotated the filter element to remove it, I noticed the dirt covering the filter in front of the stock cool air duct:

Now, I've modified my heat shield a bit to create a better seal from the rest of the engine bay, but my K&N intake is obviously drawing air from the stock cool air duct.

Javier
Old 05-11-07, 09:51 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Anyone with a Fujita Intake think about making a custom heat shield for their intake?

Quick Reply: Fujita F5 Ram Air Intake