Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo Build Diary

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-07, 11:42 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Custom exhaust being make. I think he's measuring the angles in this shot here.

My friend screwing around with custom exhaust tips.

Hey, thats the same chop saw as the one I have at home! lol

Shot from a different angle.

A picture of the oil feed tap. It's a lot easier to see under the car.

A lotta custom work under there lol. I need to wash the car too! It's freakin filthy.

Welding the pipe on. I forgot to take a picture of the finished product, but this is basically what it looks like. I'll put a cat in eventually when I have more money for it lol. Those things aren't cheap!
Old 04-02-07, 11:44 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by macd7919
Becareful boosting with those home depot couplings. It takes very little pressure to burst them. I had an emergency on my Supra and had to use a small home depot coupling on my Bov. It blew a hole in it within an hour or so of regular driving.
Yeah, its just a tempoary solution lol. I'm taking it to a shop soon and getting all new custom bent pipes made and welded.
Old 04-02-07, 11:52 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Mar 21, 2007...and beyond: Finished and running.

- Replaced ghetto rigged flanges with the new ones that just came in the mail.
- Cut, spliced, and soldered stuff into the new wiring harness.

Testing out diff intake pipe combos. Here's my original setup, but it looks a bit goofy because that pipe was originally made for an IS300.

Bought a LMS intake pipe from someone here on the forum. It has 2 problems. It has the older 98-00 MAF flange on it, not really a problem because I can get a new one welded on. Biggest problem is that the whole pipe is a 2.5" diameter lol. I thought it was a 3". I guess I'm gonna throw this up for sale on the forum.

This is the final setup I settled on. I had an old eBay intake sitting around. It's all the correct angles and looks pretty decent so I decided to use it. Now most of the engine bay is nice and neat.

Ghetto rigged oil feed flange VS the new Function7 one.

Cracked POS return flange, ghetto custom *** flange, and the new Function7 one.

Just a few pix of the car.

The intercooler is pretty well hidden. You have to look for it to see it.

Some of the crew I roll with.
Old 04-03-07, 01:16 AM
okiaristo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you car front looks like the cat from alice in wonderland.. nice grin to hide what is behind it. i like the set up and the writeup.. hall of fame/legend type stuff there..
Old 04-03-07, 07:02 AM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey jeff did you get my PM?
Old 04-03-07, 10:03 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I love this thread....next time i'm in DFW We need to meet up so I can check your ride out....fellow GS300 here...lol...NEED MORE POWER!!!
Old 04-03-07, 11:04 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Looks great Jeff! The car sounds like a beast!
Old 04-03-07, 01:17 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking good Jeff. I'm also currently using a ebay intake pipe for the MAF. LMAO

Old 04-03-07, 01:27 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSoup
Looking good Jeff. I'm also currently using a ebay intake pipe for the MAF. LMAO

wow gsoup, u finally got that installed!! watch out for that silicone tube, I chopped up an ebay intake and used that silicone hose to plug up the nipple.. it melted on my heatshield lol
Old 04-03-07, 01:59 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikal
wow gsoup, u finally got that installed!! watch out for that silicone tube, I chopped up an ebay intake and used that silicone hose to plug up the nipple.. it melted on my heatshield lol
Thanks Mikal..its been in for 3 weeks now. Mannnnn i'm loving it .
Yeah i got rid of that so-called "silicone" hose already.

I gotta put a heatshield in too... i may do that Supra DIY with the stainless steel pot..LOL have you seen that one?
Old 04-03-07, 02:35 PM
Eminence
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgandyGS
I tried a coolant temp resistor instead of cutting the wire. It worked , but I don't think our cooling fans come on if it's showing the engine temp cold? I didn't want to chance it and warp the head. I have tried many things to get our ecu to stop relearning. I have a little different situation and I am also running 20 lbs of boost but I am going with the HKS F-Con Pro V. It is the only affordable thing that works flawlessly. By the way, great job on your project and great thread. Good luck.
A few IS300 Tuners and a certain individual has recently came up with a modified 1050 AEM box that is a plug and play unit for the IS300. If I remember correctly, the IS and GS uses the same ECU and harness. One shop even claims, no check engine light but who cares, a plug and play AEM unit for a little under $2k, I would take it any day. A couple of guys in the IS community have been running these box for a bid now and no complaints.
Old 04-03-07, 03:22 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Eminence
A few IS300 Tuners and a certain individual has recently came up with a modified 1050 AEM box that is a plug and play unit for the IS300. If I remember correctly, the IS and GS uses the same ECU and harness. One shop even claims, no check engine light but who cares, a plug and play AEM unit for a little under $2k, I would take it any day. A couple of guys in the IS community have been running these box for a bid now and no complaints.
Yeah, I read up about that in the IS.net forums a few days ago and I talked to Jason over at JPI today. I'm gonna take the plunge to standalone. Not gonna mickey mouse around with piggybacks. I'm just gonna do it right the first time around. My eventual power goals are gonna be north of 600-700hp or so. No point in buying piggyback now, and rebuying and reinstalling everything again later. That place Dezod Motorsports has the EMS with a Plug N Play harness for $2000. It's a pretty good deal I'd say
Old 04-03-07, 03:47 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff,
Spend the extra money up front for the AEM but It will worth every cents. Resetting the ECU and have to worry about the Long Term fuel trim does get old.
JPI
Old 04-03-07, 05:42 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Jeff:

What about the rear end? the tranny isn't going to hold up to 600-700rwhp +
Old 04-03-07, 05:47 PM
darrylg33
Rookie

inspiring, and scary all at the same time, a lot more work involved than I thought, maybe someday when my car becomes a secondary car not my daily driver...nice work!!

Quick Reply: Turbo Build Diary