Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Gathering interest on V160 Adapter Kit for GS400/430

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-07, 11:14 AM
Kevin@MVP
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gathering interest on V160 Adapter Kit for GS400/430

The kit would include:

1/3uzfe - V160 adapter kit w/ grade 10.9 metric custom cut hardware and instructions.

100% bolt on Quarter Master dual metalic plate clutch w/ flywheel, and throw-out bearing.

Just imagine your GS400/430 with a Supra V160 6 speed behind it. Crisp shift, less drivetrain loss, and faster accelleration. With the carrier ratio of the GS being 3.26, the V160 6 speed is the perfect choice. For years the dream of a 6 speed behind the Lexus V8 has been unattainable, but TTC has solved this problem.

Pics of the adapter plate and clutch assembly.

Clutch Kit - $1,575

Adapter - $575

Regards,

Kevin
Old 01-26-07, 12:13 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sweet, what about electronics though? won't the car freak out? how much does the 6 speed trans cost and you'd have to get a custom driveshaft too, right?
Old 01-26-07, 12:49 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ECU can be fooled into believing the car is in neutral, thereby allowing the use of a manual transmission. Refer to Bob's build up here. He's using a V160 speed with his 4.0L SC. Chances are that you'll want to run a piggyback such as the S-AFC to trim any fuel as needed.

http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179933

The driveshaft is easily taken care of by shops specilizing in custom driveshafts. The usual cost of a custom driveshaft is anywhere from $300.00-$400.00. Here's the link to a a shop that has a good reputation in the community.

http://driveshaftshop.com/index2.ivnu

V160 6 speeds range in price from $1500.00 on through $2500.00 on average. It's one of the smoothest shifting 6 speeds transmissions put into any sports car, ever, able to handle whatever you can toss at it, and is regarded as the be all-end all "no excuses" transmissions. It's gearing matches the GS400/430 rear end ratio perfectly. Big bonus there.

This is an advanced swap no doubt, however the rewards are huge. The drivetrain losses will be less, allowing more power to reach the rear wheels. Imagine cruising down the interstate with your 6 speed GS400/430... Now it's possible.

Pic of the V160 attached to the Lexus V8

Eric

Last edited by c0wboy; 01-26-07 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-26-07, 01:12 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Very nice kit guys!!!! This kit will solve all of your tranny problem. The V160 isn't cheap but it's the last tranny you have to replace for a long long time.
JPI
Old 01-26-07, 01:44 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

I would definitely be interested. Tell me when it is ready to be bought. I would love to do this since dynoing will be made much easier with manual tranny.
Old 01-26-07, 01:51 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

How difficult is the placing the pedal assembly? Will you be selling the pedal kit? or will we need to fabricate our own. If you are not selling the pedal kit, will you be able to give the items needed for installation of the clutch pedal and special instructions?
Thanks
Old 01-26-07, 02:22 PM
c0wboy
Banned

The pedal kit can be purchased straight from Toyota or sourced from a recycling yard, either way it's not all that expensive. That's the beauty part. Here are the part numbers:

Brake pedal:

47101-14230 brake pedal list 49.67 cost 36.88

Clutch pedal:

31311-14120 clutch pedal list 42.18 cost 31.32

For a swap like this, it'd be a good idea to bring the adapter plate and the clutch kit to the shop of your choosing and let them install the trans. In that way, they can handle the electronics, driveshaft, and pedal aspects of the swap. We can supply the custom tough to get items with the adapter plate, and the clutch kit.

The word from MVP Motorsports is that if there is enough interest they will kick off the group buy officially around the middle of next week.

Thanks again!

Eric
Old 01-26-07, 03:42 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

what about placement of the clutch master/reservoir. The GS4 engine compartment is tight. Can you send pics of where you installed it?

Sounds like a go for me. I was wondering if it is necessary for the twin clutch system. I have a buddy that has a good single clutch system for the V160 and he is not using it because he has a triple clutch. Will the group buy allow me to just buy the adapter plate and pedal assembly?
Thanks
Old 01-26-07, 05:10 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Hi man,

Here's what was done to an SC300 converted to V160. You can see where the clutch master cylinder is mounted. There's room in there.

The reason we're offer the twin plate clutch system is because it's 100% bolt on. The 2jz flywheel is not compatable with the 1/2/3uz V8 as the bolt pattern is different as well as the ring gear size/pitch. It's a made to order clutch that's able to hold 800ft/lbs tq, only weighs 19'bs total, and bolts directly to your V8/V160. You can purchase only the adapter plate in the group buy, that's no problem, but I would highly recommend the bolt on clutch. The 2jz flywheel is just way to difficult to convert too work with the V8.

Thanks again!

Eric
Old 01-26-07, 05:28 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

regarding the wiring... if the car thinks it's in neutral, will the vsc and abs etc. be confused? also, does the vvt-i use speed sensors or anything?
Old 01-26-07, 06:41 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by c0wboy
Hi man,

Here's what was done to an SC300 converted to V160. You can see where the clutch master cylinder is mounted. There's room in there.

The reason we're offer the twin plate clutch system is because it's 100% bolt on. The 2jz flywheel is not compatable with the 1/2/3uz V8 as the bolt pattern is different as well as the ring gear size/pitch. It's a made to order clutch that's able to hold 800ft/lbs tq, only weighs 19'bs total, and bolts directly to your V8/V160. You can purchase only the adapter plate in the group buy, that's no problem, but I would highly recommend the bolt on clutch. The 2jz flywheel is just way to difficult to convert too work with the V8.

Thanks again!

Eric
Eric,
thanks for clearing the clutch issue up. I really wanna get this thing started on my ride. BTW how is the daily driving ability with the clutch system. I use my car every day and don't really want a whole buch of chatter from the clutch assembly, and also want smooth engagement of the tranny.
Old 01-26-07, 07:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

wow. i think i've seen this before.

One question though. What other clutch kit will work with the transmission. I wont be heavily modding my car so power handling isn't an issue. I will probably do the conversion just because I want a manual transmission.
Old 01-26-07, 07:46 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by chuckb
regarding the wiring... if the car thinks it's in neutral, will the vsc and abs etc. be confused? also, does the vvt-i use speed sensors or anything?
No'sir. The VSC is directly tied to the ABS, but neither of those are dependent on the gear selector. The ABS still works with the ECU thinks it's in neutral. From what am understanding in looking through drawings of the Lexus V8, it appears that 12V switched needs to be applied to the neutral safety swtich. The VVt-I is oil pressure dependent, and doesn't rely on gear selection. The speed sensor is located in the trans itself, so it's retained.

But again, the swap should be installed by a shop that is fluent in the Lexus line. There are shops that know the GS like the back of their hand. They can make the swap more of a painless affair.

For years though, the tough part was in the adapter and in the clutch. We have worked hard to overcome the mating of the V160 with the 1/2/3uzfe. I'm sure most of you guys have seen this already, but this is Vassilli's MKIV Supra. He is running a twin turbo 1uz and this very adapter plate for his V160.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkS6y...elated&search=

Thanks again,

Eric
Old 01-26-07, 08:24 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

I will be converting my gs to 6 speed soon, but in a gs3 with a 2jzgte swap. I purchased supra pedals, master, and slave and will be using a gs4 rear end.

Hopefully I'll have pics of where I place the pedals and master. I also plan on making my center console house the shift boot and trim from a 350z, but this is all up to the owner, since you can pick pretty much any boot and trim piece of your liking.
Old 01-26-07, 08:38 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

cowboy, is the older 1uzfe block the same as the newer ones used on gs4s?
what about when we need to replace the clutch, where can we find something that will be compatable with the clutch kit on this GB?

Quick Reply: Gathering interest on V160 Adapter Kit for GS400/430