Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Turbocharger or Supercharger for IS350
Turbocharger
36.07%
Supercharger
52.46%
Neither - IS350 is fast enough OR N/A mods are fine OR not worth the potential issues and cost
11.48%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Turbocharger vs. Supercharger for IS350

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-06, 06:02 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbocharger vs. Supercharger for IS350

Okay, so as you may know that the some people prefer Turbo or Supercharger and it has been debated for as long as one remembers. But, for the is350, which would you choose and why?

I personally am a fan of Turbocharger.
Old 11-13-06, 07:08 PM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

Engine compression is a bit too high for a Turbo so supercharger it is since I do not think a turbo will be made for the IS.
Old 11-13-06, 07:11 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

i say turbos are for hardcore ricers and people who run super-high compression alcohol-injected bike motors with 50+ ft-lbs of torque from 6000-10000 rpm ...

as far as useability, superchargers definitely give you more. unless its a totally custom application, the turbo will make your torque curve "peakier", whereas superchargers will tend to level it out, giving you more low-end torque. AND better gas mileage in off-idle driving.
Old 11-13-06, 07:15 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Yes, but a Turbo extracts energy from the engine while supercharger uses energy from the engine to create energy.

I know they don't have a turbo kit yet, and no one knows if it is coming or not...... but I may tackle that issue.
Old 11-13-06, 07:16 PM
ddquach
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Crazy Yoda
Engine compression is a bit too high for a Turbo so supercharger it is since I do not think a turbo will be made for the IS.
I agree, the compression way too high for a turbo right now. I love to turbo it as well but as for right now a supercharger will have to do.
Old 11-13-06, 07:21 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Engine room is quite small so turbo might not able to fit in an IS... and IMO I think supercharge is better than a turbo since the image of an IS is a elegant sport saden
Old 11-13-06, 08:49 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pimp350
Yes, but a Turbo extracts energy from the engine while supercharger uses energy from the engine to create energy.
6 of one, half dozen of the other. A supercharger will generate more power than it sucks, otherwise, why even have it? And a turbo isn't free energy, you generate higher exhaust backpressures that you then have to design for, especially when you have to worry about things like emissions.
Old 11-13-06, 10:14 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Irishman06
i say turbos are for hardcore ricers....
wth.................
Old 11-13-06, 10:33 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

i say turbos are for hardcore ricers and people who run super-high compression alcohol-injected bike motors with 50+ ft-lbs of torque from 6000-10000 rpm ...
1. Since im a ricer such a non linear power band, maybe you can elaborate on why turbos are so rice. Especially when many turbo cars nearly double your "soon to be car" that you don't even own; including myself.

as far as useability, superchargers definitely give you more. unless its a totally custom application, the turbo will make your torque curve "peakier", whereas superchargers will tend to level it out, giving you more low-end torque. AND better gas mileage in off-idle driving.
2. Ignorance, ignorance... Superchargers are parasitic at lower RPMs. Although the torque band are usually more linear with a supercharger, there is no point as higher speeds and aggressive driving power come from higher RPM. Don't make me compare superchargers with turbos and their potential power capabilities either, as 9/10 of high horsepower tuner cars are turbo.

6 of one, half dozen of the other. A supercharger will generate more power than it sucks, otherwise, why even have it? And a turbo isn't free energy, you generate higher exhaust backpressures that you then have to design for, especially when you have to worry about things like emissions.
3. Like I said before. Superchargers are more parasitic then Turbos. Turbos are utilizing free exhaust energy, I have no idea where you got that crazy idea from; the backpressure from the turbo can be alievated with a clear downpipe and exhaust system. And unless that Supercharger kit is smog-legal, it is just as illegal to the state ref from a fully built turbo motor. And there are street legal turbo kits out there. So don't try to be smart and mention that there arent.
Old 11-14-06, 03:00 AM
richw350
Rookie

Originally Posted by ddquach
I agree, the compression way too high for a turbo right now. I love to turbo it as well but as for right now a supercharger will have to do.
This statement make no sense. How is the compression too high for a turbo, but fine for a S/C? They both "compress" the incoming air as a means of making more horsepower.
Old 11-14-06, 04:13 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by richw350
This statement make no sense. How is the compression too high for a turbo, but fine for a S/C? They both "compress" the incoming air as a means of making more horsepower.
I agree with this statement. However, most people thinking of turbo are looking at well over 10 lbs of boost whereas a supercharger on this engine would be more like 4 to 6 lbs. The compression ratio on the 350 is 11:1, much too high for either. I'm waiting for someone to install 8:1 pistons and blow 20 lbs.through it! Turbo or supercharger? Each has it's drawbacks and each has it's advantages.
Old 11-14-06, 05:15 AM
richw350
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I agree with this statement. However, most people thinking of turbo are looking at well over 10 lbs of boost whereas a supercharger on this engine would be more like 4 to 6 lbs. The compression ratio on the 350 is 11:1, much too high for either. I'm waiting for someone to install 8:1 pistons and blow 20 lbs.through it! Turbo or supercharger? Each has it's drawbacks and each has it's advantages.
Let me make some additions to what you stated. The comression ratio for the IS350 is 11.8:1 actually. I have seen the honda/acura people run turbos on their cars (note: high compression) for years. Why don't they have problems? Also, with direct injection, we should be able to handle higher compression more effectively.

I firmly believe that these engines can be safely turbo'ed, without going to lower compression pistons. I also beleive that these engines have much to offer in NA form and would probably rev much higher then current. This, of course, remains to be seen.
Old 11-14-06, 06:50 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by richw350
Let me make some additions to what you stated. The comression ratio for the IS350 is 11.8:1 actually. I have seen the honda/acura people run turbos on their cars (note: high compression) for years. Why don't they have problems? Also, with direct injection, we should be able to handle higher compression more effectively.

I firmly believe that these engines can be safely turbo'ed, without going to lower compression pistons. I also beleive that these engines have much to offer in NA form and would probably rev much higher then current. This, of course, remains to be seen.
Rich350, yes, I pretty much agree with this. However, there needs to be some notes. First, the high compression Hondas that are running turbos safely are no more than 8 lbs. boost. I think Greddy's C.A.R.B. certified kit for the SI was 6lbs. Second, I've seen plenty of Idiots blow up a stock Honda engine with 14 lbs. of boost. Third, The Honda crowds that run turbos for years are either low compression/high boost or high compression/low boost. You can't have both and expect to keep things together. BTW, I have never seen even a low compression, 20lb boosted Honda engine last any length of time, at least not under boost.
Old 11-14-06, 07:29 AM
richw350
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Rich350, yes, I pretty much agree with this. However, there needs to be some notes. First, the high compression Hondas that are running turbos safely are no more than 8 lbs. boost. I think Greddy's C.A.R.B. certified kit for the SI was 6lbs. Second, I've seen plenty of Idiots blow up a stock Honda engine with 14 lbs. of boost. Third, The Honda crowds that run turbos for years are either low compression/high boost or high compression/low boost. You can't have both and expect to keep things together. BTW, I have never seen even a low compression, 20lb boosted Honda engine last any length of time, at least not under boost.
Agreed. I believe that this car would be very fun at 10 psi or below. With the right sized turbo, or course.
Old 11-14-06, 07:51 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Yep, very fun!

Quick Reply: Turbocharger vs. Supercharger for IS350