Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Turbocharger or Supercharger for IS350
Turbocharger
36.07%
Supercharger
52.46%
Neither - IS350 is fast enough OR N/A mods are fine OR not worth the potential issues and cost
11.48%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Turbocharger vs. Supercharger for IS350

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06, 08:32 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I agree with this statement. However, most people thinking of turbo are looking at well over 10 lbs of boost whereas a supercharger on this engine would be more like 4 to 6 lbs. The compression ratio on the 350 is 11:1, much too high for either. I'm waiting for someone to install 8:1 pistons and blow 20 lbs.through it! Turbo or supercharger? Each has it's drawbacks and each has it's advantages.
Totally agree..both have pro's and con's. Really depends on your application. If I had money to throw away..i'd supercharge my twin-turbo and fill up with race fuel...then on earth day I'd burn a field of tires..bat some seals...punch a baby or two. how bout them apples?

IMO...seeing 50-60 naturally aspirated HP extracted from this motor would be way cooler. Anyone can slap a blower or some snails and say, "hey look my car makes 900 whp!" But nothing beats the driveability and feel of a powerful naturally aspirated motor. KEYWORD: In My Opinion. Got my flame suit on

Last edited by NovaIS350; 11-14-06 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-14-06, 09:24 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

306hp (read: stock) is just fine for now, but if i had the funds to do it i'd do a twin-turbo kit.
Old 11-14-06, 09:33 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I agree with this statement. However, most people thinking of turbo are looking at well over 10 lbs of boost whereas a supercharger on this engine would be more like 4 to 6 lbs. The compression ratio on the 350 is 11:1, much too high for either. I'm waiting for someone to install 8:1 pistons and blow 20 lbs.through it! Turbo or supercharger? Each has it's drawbacks and each has it's advantages.
I'm pretty sure someone has already got a supercharger working on an IS350 using the stock pistons, haven't they?

I don't know how much boost they got or what their power output was, but they had it up and running. They posted videos of it a while back.
Old 11-14-06, 09:36 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I'm pretty sure someone has already got a supercharger working on an IS350 using the stock pistons, haven't they?

I don't know how much boost they got or what their power output was, but they had it up and running. They posted videos of it a while back.
uh yeah?...ddquach's car is blown with stock internals...I think he is only running 6lbs of boost.
Old 11-14-06, 01:58 PM
richw350
Rookie

I would like to see an actual dyno of one of these S/C IS350's. A lot of talk and no information. I emailed LMS, but no response as of yet.
Old 11-14-06, 02:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by richw350
I would like to see an actual dyno of one of these S/C IS350's. A lot of talk and no information. I emailed LMS, but no response as of yet.
Rich,
If you search you'll find one or two

Advanced search
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/search.php

Select the 2nd gen IS forum and put 'supercharger dyno' in the search box

THis thread pops up
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ercharger+dyno

Links to this thread with the dyno you're looking for
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230794

and others that you'll find interesting... examples
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ercharger+dyno
Old 11-14-06, 02:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

The shape of the piston dome is patented. It is integral to the direct injection's ability to create a stratified charge. It will take a LOT of work to get a lower compression piston with the right squish to run successfully for big boost in this engine. Besides that, no one really knows what will happen to service life with this bottom end. And before I hear about the Team Lexus engine, remember, racing engines can have a service life as short at a few hours. It's not exactly what you'd want in your luxury sedan.

All that said, it doesn't much matter how you compress the air. Superchargers are really great for stoplight duty, turbochargers are great for track days. I've owned both, and I'd take a supercharger for a street car any day. For a track day, I'd rather have a nice small/medium single turbo, even with a V engine because it's simpler to implement and less likely to have issues. Also, it's a lot cheaper to replace one turbo than it is two. JMHO.
Old 11-14-06, 03:00 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Anyway you slice it, i'll stick to my guns, and say a supercharger is probably a better bet for a useable increase in power.

Last edited by Irishman06; 11-14-06 at 04:08 PM. Reason: in retrospect, the longer version was not entirely related to the forum or the thread. If you really want it, I can PM it to you.
Old 11-14-06, 03:06 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Guys please

1) keep this discussion polite please

2) keep this discussion topical to the IS350 where possible. The turbo vs supercharger is a well beaten discussion... what matters here is how these two power adders will work within the constraints of the 2IS configuration. And there is a lot we don't know with only two (that I know of) on-the-road FI 2IS in the US, not counting the Blitz prototype stuff or anything in Japan or elsewhere.

If you want to debate dragsters, funny cars, the 2JZ-GTE engine, flying cars or the supercharged Oscar Meyer weiner mobile let's start a thread in car chat .

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-14-06 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-14-06, 03:33 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Thank you guys for the replies!! I know that people have their own opinions about which is better and which is not depending on the circumstances. However, I can write up pages that will prove which one is better under certain circumstances. And the answer does vary depending on the conditions. And after studying Turbos and Supers in school to death, I will say that they both have their pros and cons.

For example, turbos are laggy but, thanks to modern design technology they are able to reduce the lag time quite a bit. However, superchargers are more responsive and have a parasite power loss since it extracts energy from the engine. This are just a few examples that I am mentioning....

I am an engineer and a businessman, so my initial purpose was to see what kind of distribution there is between the two. Now, I know they already have a Supercharger kit for the is350. If all goes well, I wanna work on the Turbo kit anytime soon. Again thanks for the replies! And please keep 'em coming!
Old 11-14-06, 04:47 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could always put two turbochargres in there... I'd go w/ a supercharger otherwise..
Old 11-14-06, 09:23 PM
ddquach
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
uh yeah?...ddquach's car is blown with stock internals...I think he is only running 6lbs of boost.
that is correct, all stock internals. I wish someone would make forge internal for the car already. I want more boost...
Old 11-14-06, 09:24 PM
ddquach
Intermediate

Originally Posted by richw350
Try calling them...
Old 11-14-06, 09:28 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey Doug, when you gonna satisfy all of us drooling over your car with a dyno video? Please, please!!!

Javier
Old 11-15-06, 12:22 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

neither. trade in the IS and get the 335i and boost controller

Quick Reply: Turbocharger vs. Supercharger for IS350