Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS350 Dyno & video: Tanabe exhaust + K&N intake = 266 RWHP

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-06, 11:02 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Exclamation IS350 Dyno & video: Tanabe exhaust + K&N intake = 266 RWHP

Well, I finally got my car strapped onto a DynoJet yesterday. I secured some time at Dallas Mustang, a Ford tuning shop here in Dallas. My baseline horsepower at the rear wheel was 254, done on K&N's dyno in Riverside, California. Since then I've added a Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust and the K&N Typhoon intake. Ideally, it would have been best if my latest dyno had been done on the same machine (i.e. K&N's), but unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, that's not possible... Following are the results:

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMOmrO837jc
I was surprised how well my camera captured the sound of my car, so all of you guys who are wondering what the Tanabe+K&N combination sounds like, this is the most accurate sound clip I've heard so far. Just try to make sure you're not listening to the video through laptop speakers...

Max Power: 266.79
Max Torque: 241.78

I had a couple of laughs at the dyno... First, it was funny seeing all the techs in the shop stop working on their current projects to come check my car out - one of them was tuning a Ford GT and there were several '68 Shelby 350 GT-R's that were neglected because of me... Then, another one of the techs come up to me, and after complimenting me on the car, says "Man, that's the best thing that has come out of Dodge in years." I was like, ??? He follows that up by saying, "That was the best thing Dodge could have ever done - taking over Lexus." At that point I knew I was talking to a idiot, so I let him be in his blissful ignorance Then, if you watch the video and listen closely, you can hear the tech inside my car call my car "pimpadelic." That's the first time I've ever heard that word, but I'll take it as a complement, because when he gave me the keys back, he had a grin from ear to ear and told me how much he liked the car...

Of note, there were no fans AT ALL blowing in their garage, so I'm sure this had at least a minimal effect on the numbers. Next time I plan bringing a fan to direct air at the cool air duct to simulate real-world air flow. Also, I forgot to disable the VSC/TRAC (via the pedal dance), although I'm not sure that would have any bearing at all in a situation like this. The tech did engage the "TRAC disable" button, so that's how we was able to perform the pulls. All in all, +12hp from where I started is not bad... Oh, and a big thanks to caymandive for the help!

Javier
Old 11-01-06, 11:19 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

err, the 350 GTR was only made in 65, and is easily worth over 250k, doubt its sitting in some garage. in 68 the GT500KR was released to build on the offered GT350 and GT500.
Old 11-01-06, 11:23 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sure if you had disabled vdim you might have seen 1 or 2 extra horses.
Old 11-01-06, 11:46 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by uschardcor
err, the 350 GTR was only made in 65, and is easily worth over 250k, doubt its sitting in some garage. in 68 the GT500KR was released to build on the offered GT350 and GT500.
OOPS! You're right, the weren't R's, just Shelby GT350's. Still a rare car, though and worth WAY more than my IS

Javier
Old 11-01-06, 12:01 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have an '07?

how did they dyno with the vdim still enabled? didnt it detect that the front wheels were not moving and the rear wheels were?

also, these dyno runs are pretty useless to gauge how much power those mods gave you. dont take that in an offensive manner... just stating a fact.
Old 11-01-06, 12:34 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by car_lost
do you have an '07?

how did they dyno with the vdim still enabled? didnt it detect that the front wheels were not moving and the rear wheels were?

also, these dyno runs are pretty useless to gauge how much power those mods gave you. dont take that in an offensive manner... just stating a fact.
His car is a 2006.

So what is a good way to gauge how much power you get from mods?
Old 11-01-06, 12:35 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a dyno? do a before and after on the same day on the same dyno.

or.... before and after at the 1/4 mile track.
Old 11-01-06, 12:42 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by car_lost
on a dyno? do a before and after on the same day on the same dyno.

or.... before and after at the 1/4 mile track.
But, you just stated "also, these dyno runs are pretty useless to gauge how much power those mods gave you. dont take that in an offensive manner... just stating a fact."

But I'm assuming you just meant it's not a good way to gauge how much power you made on different dynos and days.
Old 11-01-06, 01:08 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

I've never quoted myself, but here goes...
Originally Posted by javyLSU
Ideally, it would have been best if my latest dyno had been done on the same machine (i.e. K&N's), but unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, that's not possible...
Yeah, "not possible," as in, I'm not in Cali right now, I don't own a dyno, and I don't exactly have the time and money to schedule two separate dyno sessions across town after every mod I make. It may not be of much value to YOU, but I'm happy getting a ballpark figure of where I stand, HP-wise I completely agree it's not the best way, though...

Javier
Old 11-01-06, 01:13 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by pocky
But, you just stated "also, these dyno runs are pretty useless to gauge how much power those mods gave you. dont take that in an offensive manner... just stating a fact."

But I'm assuming you just meant it's not a good way to gauge how much power you made on different dynos and days.
Car looks to be running strong and on par with my car. It is too bad you can't use this dyno session as a way to see how much power the mods gave you. I would hope the mods are giving you at least 10hp total gain, but it's hard to tell. I say this because on another dynojet, with no aftermarket exhaust and just a JOEZ pipe i'm only short 2hp and 2 ft/lbs from your numbers. I can just assume and hope that different dynojets will yield different numbers due to calibration, fans used, etc. I would bet that if you had fans blowing towards the front of the car you could have got another 3-5hp easy. Thanks for posting the dyno chart and video. Threads are worthless without them.
Old 11-01-06, 04:49 PM
cajunboy
Driver

nice sound you got going there. Do you feel alot of gain from those mod you got there on the street? Im from arlington TX so we pretty close and im the biggest LSu fan,..
Old 11-01-06, 06:38 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

i thought you couldn't dyno w/o disabling VDIM... I guess I was wrong. Traction control button on the 06 simply turns off vdim until about 30 mph, but after 30, turns it back on. Were your rear brakes engaging the rear wheels at all???
Old 11-01-06, 08:12 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by cajunboy
Im from arlington TX so we pretty close and im the biggest LSu fan,..
Haha, maybe in Arlington...

As for "feeling" a difference, my highly calibrated "butt-dyno" does feel a difference, most noticeably after about 4500 RPM About disabling the TRAC: I've been trying to figure this one out myself. I thought it would cause problems when the system re-engages after you 30 mph, but to the best of my knowledge, there were no issues (I wasn't in the car when the dyno pulls were done). There is a cable that is connected to something in the engine bay, so my only guess is that when that connection is made, the computer knows it's being dyno'd and permits the wheel spin. Maybe someone else knows, because I'm in the dark on this one...

Javier
Old 11-01-06, 11:22 PM
pinoychris
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Javy... but was your baseline actually my baseline =x lol or did you get a copy of your baseline also?
Old 11-02-06, 02:21 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If you re-map the FI you will pickup more and may even be able to flatten out the torque curve more. Looks like the mid-range is where there is the biggest difference (3800 to 6K).

Koz

Quick Reply: IS350 Dyno & video: Tanabe exhaust + K&N intake = 266 RWHP