Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Came across a BOLT-ON turbo kit for the GS400...

Old 08-09-06, 11:40 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting that the say 500 hp @17 PSI. That has to be a typo because the stock block will not handle more than 8-9 psi safely. And believe me you can get 500 HP (at the crank with only 7-8 PSI) .
I also don't think that a stock ECU will be able to handle the fuel management issues. M

aybe jmecbr900 can give some input.

Also the Stock tranny can handle 500 HP this is at it's limit. After that it's Getrag or TH400 time. If you aren't totally abusing the tranny at each stoplight, I am sure the tranny can hold well.

9K for a brand new bolt up system is awesome. Try pricing a Turbo kit elsewhere.

I kinda like my 2 small snails instead of a single large one, less turbo lag, and more responsive on the throttle.
Old 07-21-14, 11:53 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to come in late to the party.

Yes, that's my car pictured. Yes, I am running only 8psi. Yes, it's daily driven....it's sitting outside my office right now. Yes, it has over 200k already. Yes, I am running bone stock internals. The turbo is a turbonetics T66 single. Yes, mine was all custom, but Sam can duplicate it hence he called it a "kit". I'm running semi-stock tranny in that it has a PI dragon 2800 stall TC and custom VB, but the rest is all stock. I'm also running TRD LSD in the rear. I run 93 octane pump gas every day. Stock ECU with an EDFCII, but that's it.

If you wanna go crazy, you have to build the motor and run on stand-alone ECU (believe me we've tried everything and I mean everything out there otherwise) but that means it won't be a DD. You also have to change out the tranny to something that will hold.

My quickest time was 12.3 @ 118 mph, on street tires, with the car weighing 4200+lbs (the scales were open at the track that day), and my big fat butt in it.

It's a fun car that if maintained properly can be semi-quick and yet comfortable to drive. I commute almost 100mi each DAY. I wouldn't hesitate getting in her and coming to work any day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's surprised many new performance cars, especially on the highway. If she gets a good head of steam going, the tall gearing and that setup just keep pulling and pulling. Made quite a few new performance cars hit their factory "rev limiters" while playing and I was still going.

I'm gonna be buried in it.

Any other questions???? LOL.

Last edited by jmecbr900; 07-21-14 at 11:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
firelizard (05-09-20)
Old 07-21-14, 12:16 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Wow, Jaime is still alive!
Old 07-21-14, 12:19 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Wow, Jaime is still alive!

LOL.....well that depends on whom you ask my friend.....

I'm still around. I'm lurking.....always have. Saw big dawg Mark's car yesterday and it started giving me an itch.......

Just doing some research......who knows, maybe I'll come up with something sometime. After all, I do have a race motor just collecting dust in the corner of the shop somewhere......

You doing good big Dave?
Old 07-21-14, 12:56 PM
erknjerk78
Driver

Originally Posted by jmecbr900

Yes, that's my car pictured. Yes, I am running only 8psi. Yes, it's daily driven....it's sitting outside my office right now. Yes, it has over 200k already. Yes, I am running bone stock internals. The turbo is a turbonetics T66 single. Yes, mine was all custom, but Sam can duplicate it hence he called it a "kit". I'm running semi-stock tranny in that it has a PI dragon 2800 stall TC and custom VB, but the rest is all stock. I'm also running TRD LSD in the rear. I run 93 octane pump gas every day. Stock ECU with an EDFCII, but that's it.

If you wanna go crazy, you have to build the motor and run on stand-alone ECU (believe me we've tried everything and I mean everything out there otherwise) but that means it won't be a DD. You also have to change out the tranny to something that will hold.

My quickest time was 12.3 @ 118 mph, on street tires, with the car weighing 4200+lbs (the scales were open at the track that day), and my big fat butt in it.

It's a fun car that if maintained properly can be semi-quick and yet comfortable to drive. I commute almost 100mi each DAY. I wouldn't hesitate getting in her and coming to work any day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's surprised many new performance cars, especially on the highway. If she gets a good head of steam going, the tall gearing and that setup just keep pulling and pulling. Made quite a few new performance cars hit their factory "rev limiters" while playing and I was still going.

heck yeah, homie!
Old 07-21-14, 04:23 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Great input! So, I believe you when you say you are running 8psi on stock internals but at what power level? It can't be 500whp as the stock internals (especially the rods) will not hold that. And if it's only 500hp at the crank how were you able to manage a 12.3 sec 1/4 mile? That's approximately 400whp where a typical GS with that power runs high 12 sec 1/4 mile times. What kind of street tires? Any weight in the trunk added for traction? What size injectors?

I will be ecstatic if a low 400whp GS can run low-mid 12 sec 1/4 miles as that's the power range that I'm shooting for.

It sounds like you've got a nice, fast, reliable car there! Congrats!
Old 07-21-14, 10:09 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

sounds like my perfect set up i'm after except supercharged...
Old 07-22-14, 01:29 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

I currently have a DD, but it's fully built motor and I run a standalone ECU (Vipec V-88). It controls everything including VVTI. The only thing it doesn't control is the trans shifting. Currently have a trans built by Jeff Tsai, it's holding up well. I blew up an IPT fully built trans...TWICE.

has 2 boost levels low boost puts out 400hp with 390tq to the wheels
hi boost puts out 525hp with 450tq to the wheels (don't wanna go higher because don't wanna buy more transmissions)

I too will not ever part with my baby.
Old 07-22-14, 07:11 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Wish it was priced at the S2000 or gs300 turbo kits....
Old 07-22-14, 07:30 AM
armanitran
Lead Lap

Yeah, GS400 Turbo kits cost as much as a used GS400 alone

I love how you responded 8 years later to this post.. HAHAHA!
Old 07-22-14, 08:26 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Great input! So, I believe you when you say you are running 8psi on stock internals but at what power level? It can't be 500whp as the stock internals (especially the rods) will not hold that.
I haven't dyno'd in eons, but I vaguely remember it did 4 something at 8 psi on 93 octane gas. There's not much real "tuning" you can do with a EDFCII.

And if it's only 500hp at the crank how were you able to manage a 12.3 sec 1/4 mile? That's approximately 400whp where a typical GS with that power runs high 12 sec 1/4 mile times. What kind of street tires? Any weight in the trunk added for traction? What size injectors?
Well, racing, even in a straight line is not always about just raw numbers.

When all the planets align, as in: Don't blow the tires off the line, the tranny SHIFTS when it's supposed to....the tranny SHIFTS when it's supposed to....and, oh yeah....the tranny SHIFTS when it's supposed to; then you can run a decent time at the track. Track conditions, elevation, "tuning", etc all have a part in if you cut a good time or not. It's not just; 500hp= X time at the track. I've seen guys who think boiling the tires off the line or turning up the boost to the max makes them fast. Well it doesn't. Knowing your car and seat time goes a long way sometimes. Sometimes it is raw power that over comes a lot too, true.

I've taken my car to a ton of tracks over the years, just as it sits today. I've been to road racing courses as many times as I've been to dragways. The same exact car at one track (due mostly to elevation and prep) ran a full sec slower than at the other. Nothing different, just location.

The weak link in our cars is two: TRANNY is the big number #1 in my book and the ECU's. The tranny doesn't like to shift at the right time when you introduce boost of any kind. Even with modified VB and TC. It still wants to bounce off the rev limiter most of the time, which is usually when boost is really starting to cook. The ECU's are fighting the new readings all the way trying to compensate, which stinks. My best times were always when the tranny did what it was supposed to all along. No bouncing off the limiter. No hesitation. And bam, a good time. Once you get the porker off the line without going up in smoke, and if the tranny shifts when it's supposed to......she'll pull as hard as most every body. I've been smoked a lot, but I've also smoked a ton of cars I wasn't "supposed to" (on paper or by their claims). I personally don't care, cause I built my car for me and my liking. I like it, so job done. Could it be faster, absolutely. Is is gonna be???? Well, I did just get the itch again, so.....
Old 07-22-14, 08:27 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
sounds like my perfect set up i'm after except supercharged...
You want S/C or are already?
Old 07-22-14, 08:29 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HI98GS
I currently have a DD, but it's fully built motor and I run a standalone ECU (Vipec V-88). It controls everything including VVTI. The only thing it doesn't control is the trans shifting. Currently have a trans built by Jeff Tsai, it's holding up well. I blew up an IPT fully built trans...TWICE.
Do tell me about this standalone. I've been out of the scene for a little bit.

I'd like to go 6 spd with mine, but from what I've read it's expensive.

has 2 boost levels low boost puts out 400hp with 390tq to the wheels
hi boost puts out 525hp with 450tq to the wheels (don't wanna go higher because don't wanna buy more transmissions)

I too will not ever part with my baby.
Nice.
Old 07-22-14, 10:09 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

You want S/C or are already?

in would like to eventually.
Old 07-22-14, 10:18 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
in would like to eventually.
Just curious: Why S/C over Turbo?

I've done both on my car btw.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Came across a BOLT-ON turbo kit for the GS400...