Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Bumper cam video of stock intake vs Joez pipe and HKS filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-06, 03:08 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bumper cam video of stock intake vs Joez pipe and HKS filter

I've read about sound differences between the stock intake and the JoeZ pipe, but I never noticed any. I decided to make a real world comparison to see if there really is any. There may be a slight difference in sound, but certainly not much. Here is a bumper-cam video of the differences. Does it seem different to you?

Last edited by Gernby; 04-18-07 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-05-06, 03:16 PM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another link to his video:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...3D462D25716485
Old 08-05-06, 03:23 PM
MeTrO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tell ya, you can REALLY hear the difference with the Fujita intake....I'll try and get some video or soundclips.
Old 08-05-06, 03:33 PM
flyfl1pguy

Originally Posted by MeTrO
I tell ya, you can REALLY hear the difference with the Fujita intake....I'll try and get some video or soundclips.
Yes please do so.
Old 08-05-06, 03:56 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

when i had the joez intake on, i heard the difference in sound right away.. It wasn't
even something i had to really pay close attention to in order to tell the difference..
Old 08-05-06, 03:58 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tony1
when i had the joez intake on, i heard the difference in sound right away.. It wasn't
even something i had to really pay close attention to in order to tell the difference..
Well, unless Joe offers 2 different pipes, the difference shouldn't have been any different than what I've recorded. Do you think there is a difference in the video?

BTW, JoeZ intake pipe is not an "intake". It is just a minor modification of the stock intake.
Old 08-05-06, 04:05 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I've listened to this clip over and over in a loop with my eyes closed, and the only difference I can hear is that the stock intake sounds more refined, and the JoeZ sounds more raw.
Old 08-05-06, 04:21 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

I think I saw that the Joe-Z pipe by itself added about 5 rwhp, how much does the hks drop in add? where is the best place to buy the hks drop in?
Old 08-05-06, 04:52 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby
Well, unless Joe offers 2 different pipes, the difference shouldn't have been any different than what I've recorded. Do you think there is a difference in the video?

BTW, JoeZ intake pipe is not an "intake". It is just a minor modification of the stock intake.
Actually, it is part of the "air intake system".. so simply saying intake is probably
a proper term. but anyway, audio clips are notoriously known for not being accurate
at all.. I, personally didn't notice any difference at all when hearing the 2 clips, but in person
I noticed the difference 100%.. Why do you think the stock intake pipe has a resonator there? for fun?..
Old 08-05-06, 05:06 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tony1
Actually, it is part of the "air intake system".. so simply saying intake is probably
a proper term. but anyway, audio clips are notoriously known for not being accurate
at all.. I, personally didn't notice any difference at all when hearing the 2 clips, but in person
I noticed the difference 100%.. Why do you think the stock intake pipe has a resonator there? for fun?..
I think the resonator is to reduce volume at idle. When I installed my JoeZ pipe, the only difference I could hear was at idle.

BTW, if you call the JoeZ pipe an intake just because it is part of the intake system, would you also call an engine a car, just because it is part of a car?
Old 08-15-06, 08:30 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I made another couple modifications to the intake and recorded them on video. The first new (3rd total) change I made was to remove the resonator on the snorkel pipe that goes from the OEM air box to the top of the engine comparment. This seems to have increased the sound a bit more (maybe). Second, I removed the snorkel all together. This DEFINITELY increased the sound (probably too much).

I don't have any idea how the last test compares to the short rams out there, but I figure it would be about the same power-wise, since it would also be a "hot air intake" without the snorkel.

Anyway, here is the updated video.

Last edited by Gernby; 08-15-06 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-16-06, 06:35 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MeTrO
can you hear the horsepower being robbed? that'd be cool

though you can hear a little more of the engine right before shift with the joe-z. the hks filter has nothing to do with it as it honestly isn't doing much of anything right now with the primary filter robbing the most power.

Last edited by uschardcor; 08-16-06 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-16-06, 07:00 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
I think I saw that the Joe-Z pipe by itself added about 5 rwhp, how much does the hks drop in add? where is the best place to buy the hks drop in?
65 bucks for a non reusable filter, no thanks
Old 08-16-06, 07:11 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by uschardcor
though you can hear a little more of the engine right before shift with the joe-z. the hks filter has nothing to do with it as it honestly isn't doing much of anything right now with the primary filter robbing the most power.
If you are talking about the mesh screen between the drop-in filter and the MAF, I removed that. It is now just a smooth intake pipe, HKS filter, and a smooth cold air snorkel. I don't see how an aftermarket CAI could be any better (if there was one).
Old 08-16-06, 07:13 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
65 bucks for a non reusable filter, no thanks
Who said anything about a non reusable filter? I plan to clean and reuse mine.

Quick Reply: Bumper cam video of stock intake vs Joez pipe and HKS filter