Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tranny goes No.1 on Exhaust Pipes [Moderate Leak] Causes??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-06, 11:21 AM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tranny goes No.1 on Exhaust Pipes [Pics *UPDATED*]

Yep, so I finally figured out what causes the billows of smoke from driving it hard. Leaking transmission fluid that I wiped off of the custom exhuast pipes.

Apparently, it is leaked on to the pipes, where the pipes "cook" the oil causes a scenic smoke show from underneath the car.

I had the fluid flushed at a dealership 8 months ago and replaced with OEM fluid. Just put another quart of fluid in and a bottle of tranny stop leak.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Most likely place for seal failure?

Hoepfully it is the trnny sump, so the gasket will be easy to replace. I will have to lift it up to fully inspect.

Suggestions welcomed.

BTW- Yes I have the PI torque converter and unfortunately no cooler

--------------------------------UPDATED: Pics on leak locale on Post #8.-----------------------------

Last edited by Lex*Toy; 07-15-06 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-14-06, 11:34 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I don´t know the GS series personally, but my uncle has seen a lot of leaking trannies and usually when it occurs it is a problem with sealant on the back of the tranny near the top. He then has to reseal it. He charges about $50 USD equivalent down here, but it might run twice in the U.S. to fix that .

Some people I know use AutoRX with some success in these leaks, but you have to track down the leak first.
Old 07-14-06, 11:50 AM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I don´t know the GS series personally, but my uncle has seen a lot of leaking trannies and usually when it occurs it is a problem with sealant on the back of the tranny near the top. He then has to reseal it. He charges about $50 USD equivalent down here, but it might run twice in the U.S. to fix that .
Thanks LexMex. You dont have a more specific location do you? If not, then I will reseal the tranny sump tomorrow (no gasket needed I hear) in hopes of fixing it.
Old 07-14-06, 08:30 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

either it is overfilled or the pan gasket is leaking.

I wouldn't think the shop would have done anything other than that.

Sometimes the pan bolts need re-tightened after a disassembly like that. You could check them.
Old 07-15-06, 06:34 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lex*Toy
Thanks LexMex. You dont have a more specific location do you? If not, then I will reseal the tranny sump tomorrow (no gasket needed I hear) in hopes of fixing it.
On my RX300, I know where this point is, but would have to get a little dirty to take a photo.

On the back of your transmission (basically facing toward the back of your vehicle) look for a line or crevice that appears to have some sealant on it. This crevice runs the length of the transmission from the top until the bottom. It could occur at any point where you see the sealant, but for some reason on the ones where this problem occurs seems to be on the back of the transmission, on this crevice line.
Old 07-15-06, 06:45 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Ok, I found an example of this type of area from a picture of my tranny fluid and front differential plugs.

Notice the arrows and the crevice and the sealant being pointed to with the far right arrow. Follow this crevice up the back of the transmission to a point near the top back and that is the point my uncle and I have found a lot of trannies where this problem occurs.

My uncle gets a lot of tranny sealing business as some of the agencias (as dealers are known down here) often mess this process up when replacing a transmission and people refuse to pay an extra $$$.
Attached Thumbnails Tranny goes No.1 on Exhaust Pipes [Moderate Leak] Causes??-difftran1.jpg  
Old 07-15-06, 06:53 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Here is another picture of the area taken when my cousin and I did the front differential drain, notice the excess sealant.
Attached Thumbnails Tranny goes No.1 on Exhaust Pipes [Moderate Leak] Causes??-frontdifferentialplug.jpg  
Old 07-15-06, 11:44 AM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Checked out those seams LexMex and all clear. It seemed questionable around the tranny sump, so I put a couple of more turn on those bolts.

The main leak appears to be where the tranny mounts up to the motor.

Doesn't seem to good, anymore suggestions?

Pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails Tranny goes No.1 on Exhaust Pipes [Moderate Leak] Causes??-1.jpg  
Old 07-15-06, 12:31 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

We have the gaskets in our RX300s and if you are the DIYer who does all steps, we change the gasket along with the tranny filter (draining both the pan and the front differential).

I have seen a few cases, one for intance on a Chrysler Voyager (as Plymouth goes under this name down here) where their was warpage on the pan and the gasket could not do its job.

I can't think of another place offhand at the moment where I have seen leakage.
Old 09-11-06, 08:25 PM
rayray76
Driver

Default PLease look at pic .. my 95 sc400 has the same leak..

This post has a picture of the exact same leak i have... seems to be tranny fluid.. does anyone know what it would take to fix.. please see pic..
thanks.
Old 09-12-06, 04:02 AM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Check PM. Mine was caused by leaking First Pump Seal.