Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tanabe Exhaust Installed - 1st impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-06, 11:01 AM
Ichigo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tanabe Exhaust Installed - 1st impressions

Installed the Tanabe Medalion Exhaust on my 2IS over the weekend and Ive got to say I am very satisfied with it. Please see the following for my experiences with it so far (sorry for the big pics)

Installation:

Installation took about an hour and a half in total. A friend and I jacked up the car on one side and slid under and unbolted the stock exhaust. The hardest part was getting the exhaust off of the rubber connectors. Those things are on pretty good and took some effort to get off. Once the stock exhaust was removed, it was a cake walk the rest of the way.

We put the tanabe exhaust together(comes in 2 pieces) and from there, it was a straight bolt on and lined up perfect with the car. The only question that came up was this black cylinder connected to the stock exhaust (see pic below). Didnt know what it was for (any help would be appreciated).

Sound:

The stock sound was just too quiet for me. The 2IS has a powerful engine and I wanted to "hear" it. I was hoping for something closer to the G35/350Z sound as opposed to the loud fart can sound. The Tanabe has a nice deep low rumble and sounds very tasteful. At idle, it sounds stock. When you give it some gas, you get a subtle deep tone with no droning at all. Driving on the highway, the sound is noticable, but cabin noise is still very low. If you have your music on, you really have to listen to hear the exhaust.

Overall I am extremely happy with the sound and would recommend this exhaust system for someone who wants a subtle increase in sound.

Drive:

The throttle response is great. Not that the 2IS really needs any more power, but the extra power is noticable and has made driving the car that much more fun. The only problem is that I have started to drive my car more aggresively and my mpg has suffered... oh well.

Appearance:

The stock pipes look OK, but I wasnt too fond of the pipe within a pipe look. The Tanabe canisters have a nice clean look that fill out the back end better. Also, the canisters sit flush with the bumper and the shiny chrome look tons better.

Before:

After:
Old 05-30-06, 11:05 AM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

damn very nice. I can't wait til I can actually get mine. OOOOOOO VERY EXCITED!
Old 05-30-06, 11:09 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice review. The exhaust looks great
Old 05-30-06, 11:14 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Do you have photos of the exhaust at different angles. The one you posted actually turned my stomach inside out. Looks like 2 trumpets sticking out of the rear. I can only assume it's just the angle the photo was taken.
Old 05-30-06, 11:18 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

now someone just needs to mix the LMS and tanabe exhausts, to get a true dual standard muffler design exhaust.

seriously LMS wtf were you thinking with those ugly canisters

and cayman your right thats actually kind of the effect those tips give. trumpet/horn style. quite unappealing to me.

i need to make my own exhaust and market it, no one seems to be getting it right yet. :-\
Old 05-30-06, 11:24 AM
Ichigo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caymandive
Do you have photos of the exhaust at different angles. The one you posted actually turned my stomach inside out. Looks like 2 trumpets sticking out of the rear. I can only assume it's just the angle the photo was taken.
Thats a funny comment ! I do have more pictures from other angles, ill try to post them up later.
Old 05-30-06, 11:27 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

So what is that black cylinder thingy?
Old 05-30-06, 11:37 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's funny i was thinking the same exact thing!

Great write up!
Old 05-30-06, 11:40 AM
teejnut
Lead Lap

So how does the exhaust sound compared to the 350Z/G35c exhaust? Where are you located in Cali?
Old 05-30-06, 12:06 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by teejnut
So how does the exhaust sound compared to the 350Z/G35c exhaust? Where are you located in Cali?
can you hear the exhaust on the fwy?
Old 05-30-06, 12:33 PM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ihkskim
can you hear the exhaust on the fwy?
"Driving on the highway, the sound is noticable, but cabin noise is still very low. If you have your music on, you really have to listen to hear the exhaust. "

Damn now I want one.
Old 05-30-06, 01:23 PM
Ichigo
Pole Position

So what is that black cylinder thingy?
Anyone know what this is? I dont think its a sensor because there are no wires coming out of it.
Old 05-30-06, 02:12 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

I beleive that the black piece on the factory exhaust is a counterweight. The smart folks at Toyota / Lexus did a good job in making sure everything balances out

Ichigo, do you work for Toyota?

I ask because we're right next door to Toyota Nat'l headquarters and all of the employees have the "Moving Forward" or "Passionate Pursuit..." plates. I've never seen those plates on a non-employee car.

I think with the black bumper reflecting off of the brand new tips, it makes the picture look kind of odd. Make sure to keep those tips clean! They're one of the nice finishing touches to the system.
Old 05-30-06, 02:51 PM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

[QUOTE=Ichigo]Installed the Tanabe Medalion Exhaust on my 2IS over the weekend and Ive got to say I am very satisfied with it. Please see the following for my experiences with it so far (sorry for the big pics)

Installation:

Installation took about an hour and a half in total. A friend and I jacked up the car on one side and slid under and unbolted the stock exhaust. The hardest part was getting the exhaust off of the rubber connectors. Those things are on pretty good and took some effort to get off. Once the stock exhaust was removed, it was a cake walk the rest of the way.

We put the tanabe exhaust together(comes in 2 pieces) and from there, it was a straight bolt on and lined up perfect with the car. The only question that came up was this black cylinder connected to the stock exhaust (see pic below). Didnt know what it was for (any help would be appreciated).

Would you say that there needs to be more than 1 person when you do the install? I am debating whether to put it on myself, or just take it to get it done professionally?
Old 05-30-06, 03:00 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

sound would be more profound if the resonator were to be replaced

Quick Reply: Tanabe Exhaust Installed - 1st impressions