Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tanabe Medalion Touring | GS400 | Videos!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-06, 08:10 PM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tanabe Medalion Touring | GS400 | Videos!

Howdy CL!

Here are the videos of the exhaust I promised 4000 miles ago. This is a Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust on a '99 GS400 with an SRT intake/ecu combo. I wanted something on the subtle side (no tin cans dragging behind, thank you), yet I still wanted you to do a double take when this Lex rolls up along side you and gives you a little taste. Compliments have been great to date. The best was when I rolled into QuikTrip late one night and there were a couple guys talking outside of their Mustangs and Magnums. I got out and that one guy said, "Wow. What kind of car is that?" I told him. His responses was classic: "No s*^t! I didn't know a Lexus could sound like that ... rock on!"

Anyway, enjoy! As always, let me know what you think. I'll add some "fly by" videos later when I get the chance.

Inside the car (windows up and sunroof closed)

Outside the car (engine start and rev)

Oh, one last thing. Mad props to Todd at TM ENGINEERING for getting this done. This is a great exhast and I'm so happy I went with this one over the other Tanabe options for the GS400.
Old 04-26-06, 08:41 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

sounds great bro....really relaxing lol
Old 04-26-06, 08:49 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

oh i like! how much was the exhaust?

please take pictures!

And also, how does it sound when you're cruising around? Close to stock?
Old 04-26-06, 09:18 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 4GRAINR
Howdy CL!

Here are the videos of the exhaust I promised 4000 miles ago. This is a Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust on a '99 GS400 with an SRT intake/ecu combo. I wanted something on the subtle side (no tin cans dragging behind, thank you), yet I still wanted you to do a double take when this Lex rolls up along side you and gives you a little taste. Compliments have been great to date. The best was when I rolled into QuikTrip late one night and there were a couple guys talking outside of their Mustangs and Magnums. I got out and that one guy said, "Wow. What kind of car is that?" I told him. His responses was classic: "No s*^t! I didn't know a Lexus could sound like that ... rock on!"

Anyway, enjoy! As always, let me know what you think. I'll add some "fly by" videos later when I get the chance.

Oh, one last thing. Mad props to Todd at TM ENGINEERING for getting this done. This is a great exhast and I'm so happy I went with this one over the other Tanabe options for the GS400.
Commercial goes something like this:

SRT Intake: $300

Tanabe Medallion Touring Exhaust: $800(?)

Dear in the headlights look of local Mopar musclehead at local gas station: PRICELE$$
Old 04-26-06, 09:53 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The exhaust sounds great. Deep, but definitely not at all obnoxious like some. Good choice, and thanks for the video (be sure to give us a flyby one too...that should be cool ).
Old 04-26-06, 09:56 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

I want one!!!
Old 04-27-06, 12:22 AM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
oh i like! how much was the exhaust?
I think the exhaust is selling for around $800 and change. I got a great buy on a "demo" set that was slightly used.

The exhaust on Carson's site

Exhaust on Tanabe's website

If you're seriously interested in getting it, give Todd a call at TM ENGINEERING. He's the one I bought it from and I highly recommend him (check my sig)!

Here is the exhaust on my car:

Some photos from Tanabe's site:

Originally Posted by GSteg
And also, how does it sound when you're cruising around? Close to stock?
I think it sounds great crusing. It is a little loud for my mom's taste, but eveyone who has rode in the car really likes it. It just sounds clean ... not a harsh, loud sound ... but a subtle growl. Like I said, I'll try and post some videos with my driving with the windows up and sunroof closed. That might give you a little better of an idea.

Thanks for the positive feedback!
Old 04-27-06, 03:52 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

WOW!!! I love the sound. How do the exhaust tips look? That's the only thing that is holding me back.
Old 04-27-06, 05:29 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Old 04-27-06, 05:43 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Thanks for sharing, they sound good, quieter than I expected.
Old 04-27-06, 07:09 AM
csq860
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Sounds and looks great which makes me very excited since I've got the exact same setup in my garage waiting to be installed next wednesday! For anyone interested in the exhaust check with Steve Ganz at Carson, I got mine from him for $773 shipped, definitely worth it. Big for Steve.
Old 04-27-06, 10:25 AM
vborder
Lead Lap

i like it, now i have more options to pick from
Old 04-27-06, 07:17 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4GRAINR
Howdy CL!

So what's the sound like cruisin' down the hightway at 75mph?? Quiet as stock? Loud? Wonder how the SS headers would change the sound.
Old 04-28-06, 04:39 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds a lot like the HKS to me, which I have, but just a LITTLE BETTER!! man, and it was a toss up for me between HKS and Tanabe!!! Wish I'd have gone Tanabe.
Old 05-02-06, 09:40 PM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blanco
So what's the sound like cruisin' down the hightway at 75mph?? Quiet as stock? Loud? Wonder how the SS headers would change the sound.
Cruisin' down the highway at 75 - 85 - 95 is nice and clean. I think the exhaust seems to be the loudest (to me at least) is slow speeds like 15mph to 25mph. Anything over 45mph or so I only really notice it when I give those BMW, Hemi, and uber-rice imports a little taste.

Quick Reply: Tanabe Medalion Touring | GS400 | Videos!