Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tanabe Medalion Touring | GS400 | Videos!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-06, 07:46 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleWhoosh
Yeah this is definitely one of the quietest exhaust on these cars as far as when you are inside the car. HKS being one of the loudest, just to gauge it.

The worst is a Greddy exhaust on a GS300..don't do it!!!
Which is the quietest that you are referring to? The Touring or the Hyper, or are all Tanabes pretty darn quiet when in the car with the windows rolled up?

Last edited by KevinGS; 05-09-06 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-09-06, 07:54 AM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Which is the quietest that you are referring to? The Touring or the Hyper, or all Tanabes?
I believe Todd is talking about the Touring. He was telling me that he had someone complain that the Touring wasn't as loud as they had expected so they went to a louder route. Don't get me wrong, you can hear the exahust. The difference is do you want your car to sound like a car with exhaust or exhaust with car?

HIt up some of the CL gang in your area and take a listen to what they're running. That's always a good help. I have also used local car show nights to gain a sense of what things sound like. Granted it won't be exactly the same, but typically there are enough cars around to see if such and such a brand sounds deeper than brand x.

Any ideas when you're going to pull the trigger?
Old 05-09-06, 01:13 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, the Tanabe Touring has been the quietest so far inside the car of pretty much all exhausts I've installed. Amazing since it also replaces the resonators further up, instead of just being a tail section setup. Also makes some decent hp gain compared to the rest.

The HKS for the most part is the loudest of the better-branded readily available systems. Still not obtrusively loud, but could be objectionable if someone isn't into that sort of thing.

The rest, Blitz, Borla, Tanabe Hyper, etc. all fall in the middle of that range.
Old 05-09-06, 04:00 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4GRAINR
I believe Todd is talking about the Touring. He was telling me that he had someone complain that the Touring wasn't as loud as they had expected so they went to a louder route. Don't get me wrong, you can hear the exahust. The difference is do you want your car to sound like a car with exhaust or exhaust with car?

HIt up some of the CL gang in your area and take a listen to what they're running. That's always a good help. I have also used local car show nights to gain a sense of what things sound like. Granted it won't be exactly the same, but typically there are enough cars around to see if such and such a brand sounds deeper than brand x.

Any ideas when you're going to pull the trigger?
Thanks, 4GainR...

I'd REALLY like to see a picture of the rear of your car with the cleaned beveled tips. I need to see it from about 20 feet back, so I can tell how low the mufflers hang. I haven't found any good pictures of the Touring Medallion from the rear...a straight-on picture where I can see the hang of the mufflers.

By the way, I have an intake. I can't IMAGINE the Hyper Medallion over-running the loudness of the SRT intake. If it did, I'd be stunned.
Old 05-09-06, 05:10 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

This is a good view of the hang down, also you can see how low the car is with 19's and 275/30's
Old 05-09-06, 05:12 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Old 05-09-06, 05:15 PM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

Thanks, 4GainR...

I'd REALLY like to see a picture of the rear of your car with the cleaned beveled tips. I need to see it from about 20 feet back, so I can tell how low the mufflers hang. I haven't found any good pictures of the Touring Medallion from the rear...a straight-on picture where I can see the hang of the mufflers.

By the way, I have an intake. I can't IMAGINE the Hyper Medallion over-running the loudness of the SRT intake. If it did, I'd be stunned.
I'll try and take on later one tonight. Time to get out that polishing rag ...

I might have to round up some models too ... you know how it is flossin' a GS and all.

FYI: My suspension is not stock. I have the Eibach/Bilstein combo that many people go with so the car might be 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch lower.
Old 05-09-06, 05:17 PM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

Here is another pic that I found ...

But like I said, I'll try and take some tonight from some different angles.
Old 05-09-06, 06:57 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4GRAINR
Here is another pic that I found ...

But like I said, I'll try and take some tonight from some different angles.
Thanks a ton, GainR. Seeing your pics and DoubleWoosh's, I'm leaning towards the Medallion Touring now. Looks good. And I like the fact that you can still see the actual mufflers. I like the mufflers-creeping-out-from-under-the-car look. If all I see is tips, then it looks too much like stock to me...and well, then I might as well just keep my tips and be done with it.

Hec, if I could just chrome my stock mufflers, I'd do that and just keep my stock exhaust. Looks over performance and sound when it comes to exhaust for me. That 5-10hp I can live without.
Old 05-09-06, 07:04 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Thanks, Whoosh! Those are great pix. Do you happen to have any similar pix of the Hyper system? The hang down looks OK, but I guess the Hyper hangs down a little farther. Hmmmm.... I like the hang down, but I understand the Hyper to have a pretty noticeable rumble at RPM and idle, and that's not really what I want. Slight is OK, but not overbearing, while I'm in the cabin, with my windows up.

I don't care how loud it is at WOT, or how loud it is OUTSIDE the car, I'm more concerned about how loud it is while cruising at low speeds (and high speeds), with my windows up.

I know I'm askin' alot, big mufflers, but low noise. LOL I'm so greedy.
Old 05-09-06, 07:42 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, Whoosh! Those are great pix. Do you happen to have any similar pix of the Hyper system? The hang down looks OK, but I guess the Hyper hangs down a little farther. Hmmmm.... I like the hang down, but I understand the Hyper to have a pretty noticeable rumble at RPM and idle, and that's not really what I want. Slight is OK, but not overbearing, while I'm in the cabin, with my windows up.

I don't care how loud it is at WOT, or how loud it is OUTSIDE the car, I'm more concerned about how loud it is while cruising at low speeds (and high speeds), with my windows up.

I'd strongly suggest the touring then. Plus it's the most new and up to date.

The price is right and the quality is very good as well.
Old 05-17-06, 05:22 PM
Tanabe USA
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Medalion Touring is probably the closest system of ours that would cater to your needs. It's audibly louder and deeper outside of the car, but much less noticeable in the car. (You will be able to carry a normal conversation without the sound of an exhaust interrupting).

There are definitely many exhaust options for the GS owners, this one is on the quieter end of the spectrum.

KevinGS> We will look into adding "hang down" into the product description features
Old 05-17-06, 05:30 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Anyone know how the Medalion Touring compares to the L-Tuned exhaust in regards to sound. Is it stronger (louder) or quieter..inside car and outside car? I'm actually looking for something slightly stronger than the L-Tuned, but not so much louder inside the car with windows up. Thanks.
Old 05-17-06, 09:06 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tanabe USA
KevinGS> We will look into adding "hang down" into the product description features
Thanks! Let's face it...many of us like the actual LOOK of the exhaust, which includes the mufflers for some (like me). I mean, I like nice tips and all, but I also like when you can see that shiny stainless steel muffler peaking out clearly from underneath the rear bumper. Call me brazen, but I like that look.

And I like a deep rumble at times, but I also like silence when I want it.

So Medallion Touring for me.