Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

AEM EMS or GReddy Emanage for GS3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 08:13 PM
modifyd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM EMS or GReddy Emanage for GS3?

I have about convinced myself to forgo upgrading the looks on my car temporarily and go FI. I am curious to know what everyone has ran as far as fuel management systems. I have a '99 GS3 and will leave the stock engine save for a TT gasket and possibly some fuel upgrades with increasing boost. I was wondering about buying the AEM universal system and wiring it in. I want to put the management system in place and get the car running on it while its stock so I can learn it. Will I need to leave the stock ECU in place for any electrical functions? I am planning on running about 10-12 psi until I can get the room to build the bottom with some forged goodies.aSVPY

Last edited by modifyd; 12-15-09 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-25-06, 08:36 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are currently testing the Ultimate Emanage. Our GS300 has TT bottom end and some other goodies to it. If your goal is 10-15 psi, then a source of piggy back won't be a problem. Also I would look into the ESC1, this unit would force the car into open when it see positive boost. Any kind of piggy back won't have total control over the fuel and ignition system. Tuning is also the key to make this engine happy. Your long term fuel trim will play an important role. Have it too rich and the ECU will start to correct everything then you will have a huge problem(misfired). There are many good info on Is300.net. AGAIN, EMS IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO! Trust me on this one. AEM EMS will work but you have to do some modification in order for it to work. Use a hall effect sensor to read crank and cam signal. Good luck.
JPI
Old 01-25-06, 08:49 PM
modifyd
Pole Position

I am planning on the lower boost while using the stock bottom end. I figure it should last a while if tuned properly unless these engines have thin ringlands or weak rods, which I haven't done enough research, sorry, to know. I figured I would buy a used crank pulley to modify for the pickup. This ESC1 alters the O2 signal, correct? depending on a boost reference? Can you explain a little? How about Megasquirt? It's a cheaper alternative that a few turbo dodge's (mid-late eighties) use for management. I know it's worked well for them.
Old 01-25-06, 09:18 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Take a close look of this pic. TT rod is on your left and GE VVT-i rod is on your right. Lexus removed some of the weight off VTT-i rods. So they could be lighter and take less mass to turn.

If you can see TT pistons have the deeper valve cuts, hence lower compression. We purchased the TT internals and swaped it into our GE VVT-I. These will share the exact same crank, but then it's so so much easier to buy a TT short block. Trust me you don't want to go through that trouble like we did . The ESC1 will send a certain voltage to your 02 sensor, we never test them ourself but it will work. There are many variables when turbocharing the VTT-i.
JPI

Last edited by JPI Racing; 01-25-06 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-25-06, 09:30 PM
modifyd
Pole Position

Those pistons look pretty carboned up; looks as if some of the carbon flaked off! What trouble did you go through? Did you just decide to replace the rods and pistons or did one of the rods or pistons crack? I'm hoping the TT gasket will lower the compresson enough and maybe retard the timing a little to keep detonation down. Like I said, this will be temporary until I get a chance to build the internals. I'm hoping for about 10-12 psi as I think my tranny might give also before the bottom end. The car has 100k on it and the tranny shifts fine currently.... The TT piston is forged also, right? Does it really matter if its forged as long as the air/fuel is tuned? I guess the higher temps from the extra air and fuel combo could crack the cast piston. The expansion characteristics of the cast are crap I suppose.
Old 01-25-06, 09:38 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

TT h/g is 1.7 mm uncompress. Those GE piston have mucho mileage on them 120k miles. Many supra guys running 1000hp with TT pistons. If you need the calcalution for the compression, I have it somewhere at our shop. With the set that we are running it's 8.7:1 .
JPI
Old 01-26-06, 04:09 AM
modifyd
Pole Position

Are the squirters a major concern or what could I expect (hp) from the GE block?
Old 01-31-06, 07:55 AM
modifyd
Pole Position

bump...I have for the most part decided against the piggyback setups as I think they're only reliable to about 450hp. What about the Electromotive TEC3? Anybody running this standalone? How about contolling the timing with the TEC3 or the AEM? The AEM looks to be my best option currently even though it would have to be hard wired. I'm not shooting for over 450hp currently but will in the future. Also, how about using the stock ECU to control the timing and a separate fuel management?
Old 01-31-06, 02:24 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

I have a TEC3 Is300 in our shop. The software is user friendly. But you want more control I would start looking at AEM. Download their software at www.aempower.com. After tuning the Greddy ultimate emanage, We not really too impress with it. Atter all it's just a piggy back ............................
JPI
Old 02-02-06, 10:08 AM
modifyd
Pole Position

How easy was it to hard wire? How did you mount the crank sensor and pickup? Is it just basically mounted inside the pulley and a bracket made for the pickup? How easy was it to adjust the vvt-i? I'm leaning towards the AEM as it seems to have a good following from users.

Thanks
Old 02-02-06, 06:18 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by modifyd
How easy was it to hard wire? How did you mount the crank sensor and pickup? Is it just basically mounted inside the pulley and a bracket made for the pickup? How easy was it to adjust the vvt-i? I'm leaning towards the AEM as it seems to have a good following from users.

Thanks
Did you mean how hard? Wiring the whole car up does take a while and a lot of experience. You can mount the crank and cam pick up at the cam sprocket gears. Drill holes on the cam sprocket and apply magnets into them.
JPI
Old 02-02-06, 07:44 PM
modifyd
Pole Position

Yeah, I guess that's what I really meant. Sorry for so many questions. I really appreciate the knowledge. So there is only one pickup mounted? How did you mount it? Did you fab a mounting bracket onto the head? How does the vvt-i work with this? The crank/cam sensor is basically just a magnet attached to the sprocket? Did you keep the factory ECU attached for any certain functions like controlling the vvt-i? Last question; I purchased a 3mm Cometic HG and was curious to know how much, if any, should I advance the timing, just temporarily until I get around to putting the turbo, etc. on? I just want to change out the HG and put some studs in while it's still factory.
Old 02-02-06, 07:49 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

If you are asking these questions.... You shouldn't do these things by yourself.
JPI
Old 02-02-06, 07:56 PM
modifyd
Pole Position

Why not? Got to learn sometime. I've done everything else to a car possible. Rebuilt engine in turbo van, put a cage into corolla, body-dropped and tube-framed toyota truck, bagged a galaxie, built a complete adjustable tubular suspension for a 1G civic, wired stereos, etc. This is just the first time I've messed with the engine electronics, well more than just a few basics, as the van was all done mechanically. I shouldn't be too hard.
Old 02-03-06, 07:17 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are these projects in the Surfside area? I've never seen them around.... small town at heart here, til the summertime everybody knows everything.

FWIW, we can give you some help with the HG if you need it.

Quick Reply: AEM EMS or GReddy Emanage for GS3?