Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Torque Converter Problems..Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-01, 07:37 AM
GS4K
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I just got my Precision Industries Torque Converter Installed yesterday. Here are the problems: the E-Shift doesn't work anymore, when I punch it the car shifts at 4500 rpm, the only way I can get to first gear is to completely stop otherwise it will never downshift to 1st gear, the car makes some noise near the transmission, and the check engine light is on.

Are these things that come with the TC or did I get a bad TC or did the installation people mess up?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-11-01, 08:04 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

that does not sound good, you should get it check right the way, especially you hear some noise
Old 08-11-01, 11:16 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Bad Installation

GS - I'd vote for a bad install because the T/C isn't an electrical connection so the E-shift shouldn't be affected. recall when doing mine that there were some wires I had to be careful around as well as the dual O2 sensors. Also remember Sasha having a noise problem with his but it didn't exhibit your other symptoms. Take it back as soon as possible before things get worse.
Old 08-11-01, 11:18 AM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Swift Racing installed my TC and I have had NONE of the problems you mentioned. You either got a bad TC or a bad install or both. The installers should have test driven the car thoroughly before they let you leave with it!
Old 08-11-01, 04:42 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Bobcat or Gene? Is it really true that GS owners w/TC can blow the tires with JUST acceleration(no powerbrake) under WOT off of the line?????? Also, if rolling slowly between 15-20mph, if you punch it and kick down to first, will it break traction???? If so, I NEED IT BAD!!!!!
I dont care what people say, the ammount of time I lose while the GS "bogs" in first(due to luxury TC) would still be improved upon if I could light em up off of the line and gain traction as I moved through first at a higher rpm.....If I run 275's in the rear, would I lose enough traction w/TC under WOT to actually have to back out of the throttle to get hooked up??(thats real hard to belive)
My thinking is that it would just rip through first while still accelerating hard...and if I stayed in it, towards the top of first I would be accelerating harder than ever and enter second with full traction....Is this the case??? Please let me know...Thanks, Tiny
Old 08-12-01, 05:04 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Wink Maybe!

Tiny - How's THAT for an answer!! Really, it depends on a few variables like tire size & how the car's running that day ( colder weather gives more power via the denser air charge ). I have 245/40/18's on the rear & can barely chirp them in the middle of this 100 degree Louisiana summer but remember that I have over 200# of stereo gear in the trunk. When it's earlier in the morning & the car's just warmed up, then I can light them up for about 40-50 feet or so. Just for kicks I put the stock 16" wheel/tires back on the rear & NOW it's FUN!! Haven't been able to break 'em loose once I'm rolling under any circumstances & I doubt that the 275's U want will cause U to lose so much traction that U'll need to roll out of the throttle - it'd be better to just drive through the spinning until they hook to keep from bogging the engine ( keep it in it's powerband as well ). If ya get Mo's S/C, then go look at Fairuza's latest post ( in the SRT section ) about his S/C experience - lost traction in second gear, I believe!! :eek:
Old 08-13-01, 12:36 PM
GS4K
Driver

Thumbs up Problem Solved!

the problem I was having was that, my transmission was out of the car and the negative battery was not disconnected causing the car to go into some safe mode or something. I disconnected the battery for about five minutes and it runs fine. I took the car to the track the same day. My best time was a 14.3 @98mph E/T. I have the Swift Air Filter and ECU. Pretty disappointed, I ran a 14.6 completely stock. 3 tenths of a second is not worth $2000.00.

Thanks for anyone replies.
Old 08-13-01, 02:35 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Exclamation

$2000??? :eek:

That's for a torque converter and what else? If that's it then I agree that cost equation doesn't quite work out.

Peter
Old 08-13-01, 02:50 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

torque converter and intake, dont foget taxes and shipping!

it only dropped you by .3?? thats GARBAGE, maybe you dont have any traction?? well whatever it is i think its crap for 2Gs sorry man
Old 08-13-01, 03:29 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Question Something Doesn't Add Up ( Literally! )

GS - Seems like something else is missing in the equation here. I dropped .6 just in the 0-60 with the HFI/ECU; Borlas & T/C combo & that's running in 80 degree weather & high humidity! What kind of 60 foot times did U get?
Old 08-13-01, 10:47 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Lets dont forget Maruisz had the exact same set-up(SRT HFI/ECU, TC, and Borlas)although he was running 19" wheels. The videos that he posted showed him at a best of 14.3. My best at the track with HORRENDOUS launches was 14.6 with SRT HFI/ECU, Greddy Exhaust, 18" SSR's(pretty light) but no TC........I should definitely pick up more than .3 with a TC though.....at least according to ALL the feedback Ive gotten....
GS4K? There is at least one other CL member with your set-up plus 3.76 gears turning in 13.88's..and I KNOW the gears arent giving him .8 in the quarter. I know from being crappy at launch myself, you may well be giving up .2 right there.... Tiny
Old 08-13-01, 11:50 PM
RacingAristo

I believe with SRT HFI/ECU/TC, you get better than 0.3 second drop. I've not tested my 0-60 but will do so after I got my G-Tech back. Probably this weekend and post some result.
Old 08-14-01, 08:20 AM
GS4K
Driver

Thumbs up 60 Feet Times

my best 60 feet time was 2.05, which I ran a 14.4. My best ET was when I ran a 2.15 60 feet time, I ran a 14.3. Both these times were with my Nitto Drag Radials at 37 psi. When I dropped the psi to 20 psi, I was running consistent 14.4 - 14.5. I was at Union Grove Great Lakes Dragaway in Wisconsin and it was about 80 degrees. I had 17" Enkei RP01(15.5 pounds each rim) Rims with 275/45 Nitto Drag Radials in the rear. I will say that everybody I talked with at the track said the samething, the track was really slippery. But this is what most people say when their cars are running slow.

p.s. - I didn't know that 93-98 LT1 WS-6 Trans Ams were so slow! 14.5 at best. And new Mustang GTs, 14.8 at best.

Old 08-21-01, 03:41 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

The times you listed for the TransAm's and Mustangs shows your track is SLOW. LT1 Camaro/Firebirds are 13.9-14.5 95-98mph bone stock at a good track and the new Mustang (260hp) can go 13.9 at 100mph. Seen it/done it at HRP. Higher altitude, temperature, humidity, track prep, etc ALL effect 1/4 mile performance. What were the conditions like when you tested bone stock at 14.6 / 96mph? Same track? Variables? My LS400 does consistant 2.3 60fts and it is SLOW out of the hole. With drag radials and Nitto's 1.9s should be VERY do-able. What was the NEW mph?
Old 08-23-01, 08:13 AM
GS4K
Driver

Default Same Track

I was at the same track. Actually it was very hot and humid when I ran the car stock and it was 10 degrees cooler and less humid when I ran the car after the mods. You would think that just the weather changes itself would produce better times. One thing I did notice when my car was stock and had the Nittos Drag Radials on, I could not get any wheel spin, this was on the street. Stalling or no stalling. I think you'll probably have the same problem with your ls400. Tell me more about your ls400, any mods, what did you run in the 1/4 mile.

Quick Reply: Torque Converter Problems..Need Help!