Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

check engine, vsc, vsc off lights, came on

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-06, 11:55 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default check engine, vsc, vsc off lights, came on

Hey guys, I started up My GS400 this morning in the garage, and the check engine light, vsc, and vsc off lights came on . I could not believe it as the car was driven during the week with no lights popping up. Well, I reset the ECU by pulling the 20 a fuse to see if the lights will go out, and it did. I took the car to my Amsoil guy to have a fuel injection cleaning today, thinking that it was a dirty emmissions problem. There was a lot of smoke coming from the exhausts from the detegent doing its job. After the cleaning, I took the car to the Auto Zone next door to have the OBD2 scanner check for any trouble codes. These two codes popped up on the scanner "P1120" and "P1121 Do you guys have any idea what these codes mean? AutoZone told me that they are dealer codes.
Old 01-07-06, 01:30 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They are throttle/pedal position sensor/switch A. Soudns like you need a new throttle position sensor.

Hope this helps,

Jonny
Old 01-07-06, 01:49 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

I found out online that "P1120
Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction"

and
P1121
Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Range/Performance Problem

The car drives fine though. What should I do? Should I take it to the Stealership? what replacement parts are needed if any and cost$$$$
Old 01-08-06, 08:30 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dx3
They are throttle/pedal position sensor/switch A. Soudns like you need a new throttle position sensor.

Hope this helps,

Jonny
Thanks Jonny. The car drives fine with no acceleration issues. I'm just curious what the part looks like, and if it something I can do myself (would not want to spend unecessary bucks). Also curious what if anything will the new part change? Will the car perform better than it does, because it is already quick off the line. Speaking to Carson about the price of TPS.
Old 01-08-06, 08:37 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Thanks Jonny. The car drives fine with no acceleration issues. I'm just curious what the part looks like, and if it something I can do myself (would not want to spend unecessary bucks). Also curious what if anything will the new part change? Will the car perform better than it does, because it is already quick off the line. Speaking to Carson about the price of TPS.
I have the manual man if you wanna call me I can read it to you

Jonny
Old 01-08-06, 09:00 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dx3
I have the manual man if you wanna call me I can read it to you

Jonny
Thanks Jonny. After looking at this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=tps, I see that it is a intricate process. It has to be calibrated just right, and i don't have the necessary tools I will wait to hear from Carson to find out dollar amounts and I will pm yah. Thanks buddy
Old 01-08-06, 10:14 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks Jonny. After looking at this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=tps, I see that it is a intricate process. It has to be calibrated just right, and i don't have the necessary tools I will wait to hear from Carson to find out dollar amounts and I will pm yah. Thanks buddy
Sounds good man - let me know

Jonny
Old 01-16-06, 07:26 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Well guys, I went to Bayridge Lexus today to address the check engine, vsc, vcs off light issue. As you recall, I had Autozone do a obd2 scan and they came up with P1120 & Pll21. Well the dealer checked out the car and it is not the TPS that is the problem. They told me I need a acceleration pedal . It is not the actual pedal inside the car, but the throttle linkage part. The service tech showed me the problem, and indicated that there was too much play. The service tech told me that I have a heavy foot, so that is why I would need to replace the part Well I have to slow down then Anyway the dealer did not have the part in stock, and I asked how much would it cost. They told me the part alone costs 271 bucks I told them I will order the part and come back. They charged me 90 bucks for the visit today, but when I come back with the part, I will not be charged for labor I will get the part from our savior Carson (Steve Ganz and Luis). Lesson learned.. We have to drive easy......
Old 01-16-06, 07:58 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Just order the part from Carson I saved 60 bucks from the dealer cost shipped. Carson is the best
Old 01-16-06, 08:26 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW,
$271.00 for a throttle linkage assembly? That is high! I am like you, I have a 99 GS400, and all we have is the actual linkage. 2001 and later GS430's have the resistor (potentiometer) instead of the cable.

You must really stomp your pedal to stretch your cable, huh? Perhaps it is just worn out since you have a 98. Did you ever adjust your linkage on the throttle body to make it tighter and raise your idle? Perhaps your cable was adjusted too tightly causing it to stretch. It would have to be pretty tight to do that in my opinion.

The new cable assembly will have to be threaded thru the firewall to connect the engine and accelerator pedal together. That doesn't look like too much fun, but is probably not as difficult as it seems.

Keep us posted on the progress.
Old 01-16-06, 09:17 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gserep1
WOW,
$271.00 for a throttle linkage assembly? That is high! I am like you, I have a 99 GS400, and all we have is the actual linkage. 2001 and later GS430's have the resistor (potentiometer) instead of the cable.

You must really stomp your pedal to stretch your cable, huh? Perhaps it is just worn out since you have a 98. Did you ever adjust your linkage on the throttle body to make it tighter and raise your idle? Perhaps your cable was adjusted too tightly causing it to stretch. It would have to be pretty tight to do that in my opinion.

The new cable assembly will have to be threaded thru the firewall to connect the engine and accelerator pedal together. That doesn't look like too much fun, but is probably not as difficult as it seems.

Keep us posted on the progress.
I know its $$$ . Carson is giving it to me for $216.00 shipped. The part is interchangeable with other Toyotas and Lexus's. The dealer will not charge me next time for the install. I never had the throttle linkage adjusted.... I guess the tension wears over time
Old 02-20-06, 06:59 AM
AmooManiaK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same thing just happened to me this morning. I really don't have a heavy foot, so I'mnot sure what it is. I'll get it checked out later today.
Old 02-20-06, 09:03 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

jonny and his manuals RULE ALL!!!
Old 02-20-06, 09:29 AM
dmanbluesf
Pole Position

I know its $$$ . Carson is giving it to me for $216.00 shipped. The part is interchangeable with other Toyotas and Lexus's. The dealer will not charge me next time for the install. I never had the throttle linkage adjusted.... I guess the tension wears over time
Yea, they stretch out over time... Seeing as they have tension on them 24/7, it make sense though.
Old 05-09-06, 10:24 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

can someone please post the part number? i've been just diagnosed for the same failure

one of my local toyota dealers is offering good prices on oem parts, but cannot cross reference the lexus numbers to confirm, and my lexus dealer of course will not help.

Quick Reply: check engine, vsc, vsc off lights, came on