Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Apex S-AFC with SRT Intake/ECU

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-05, 09:53 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Apex S-AFC with SRT Intake/ECU

Guys,

Do you think there would be any better performance to be had from installing an Apex S-AFC even when you have the SRT Intake with ECU.

I am guessing the ECU is supposed to constantly recheck to make sure the car is running with the right A/F Ratio's. But do you think it is as good as the S-AFC?

I understand the S-AFC and ECU are basically doing the same thing.

Jonny
Old 07-27-05, 10:41 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Guys,

Do you think there would be any better performance to be had from installing an Apex S-AFC even when you have the SRT Intake with ECU.

I am guessing the ECU is supposed to constantly recheck to make sure the car is running with the right A/F Ratio's. But do you think it is as good as the S-AFC?

Jonny
You can try to tune the S-AFC but do it without the ECU. The ECU is a no-thinking solution. SRT has done the thinking for you. For 99% of the people out there, that is sufficient. I think trying to do both will just end up frustrating you and confusing the units. There are too many variables to consider.
Old 07-27-05, 10:41 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure if you can run both at the same time....its either one or the other.

Pete
Old 07-27-05, 10:46 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll probably be better off with just with Safc. Cant run both together.

Since the SRT ECU is pretuned, it might work differently for every car. So if you tune with the safc, you might get more power.
Old 07-27-05, 10:48 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, if you install the S-APC after the modified signal of the SRT ECU then it "may" work, (not before it) check the SRT ECU diagram, you will see they cut a wire, that is the wire that they used to modify the sensor signal, one end of that wire is the signal to the car ECU side =)
You need to know what you are doing when making the adjustment yourself
Old 07-27-05, 09:34 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, the safc will help but unless you know what you are doing. I had srt installed and didn't want to mess with safc that I have in my garage.
Old 07-27-05, 11:55 PM
49GS400
Lead Lap

I agree with NEO. You should one or the other. The ECU has a pre-tuned A/F map. I assume you can use the S-AFC to tune the intake to its highest potential. I would probably call SRT and confirm if you can use the SAFC instead of the ECU. Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-28-05, 01:44 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

What car are you putting this on ?
Old 07-28-05, 02:30 AM
gawd
Pole Position

I think you'd be alot better off with the S-AFC, since it is tunable to you particuliar mods on your car. The downside is the installation and dyno time needed to tune the car to the appopriate A/F ratio. I'm seriously thinking abot going with the S-AFC since my SRT race ECU has my A/F at 11.5 across the board.
Old 07-28-05, 10:11 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Guys,

I installed my last one in my 95 SC400. The installation is pretty simple and I gained I believe about 18 hp at the wheels with it.

If I come across a cheap one I may try it and see. It seems, as people have already stated that the SRT ECU is a general setting, whereas the SAFC can be tuned exactly for your car.

Last time it cost me $100 to have it tuned and that was with 5 dyno runs.

Jonny
Old 07-29-05, 11:07 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gawd
I think you'd be alot better off with the S-AFC, since it is tunable to you particuliar mods on your car. The downside is the installation and dyno time needed to tune the car to the appopriate A/F ratio. I'm seriously thinking abot going with the S-AFC since my SRT race ECU has my A/F at 11.5 across the board.
Did you do a dyno w/ your SRT showing A/F #'s? How much improve\ment did your SRT add? I've always been curious as to what A/F #s the stock ECU has and the SRT ECU unit. I have a SRT unit that I would like to instal and do a dyno w/ A/F readings.
Old 08-02-05, 10:45 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Guys,

After I get my headers installed I am going to dyno with the SRT. Then I will remove the ECU from the SRT and wire in the S-AFC2 and see what differences it made.

Will let you know which is better. My guess is the S-AFC.

Jonny
Old 08-03-05, 02:21 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Guys,

After I get my headers installed I am going to dyno with the SRT. Then I will remove the ECU from the SRT and wire in the S-AFC2 and see what differences it made.

Will let you know which is better. My guess is the S-AFC.

Jonny
Jonny....cool...i assume u probably need to fine tune the SAFC a few times on the dyno to get the best ratio to ur liking. Good luck.

Pete
Old 08-03-05, 06:43 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dx3
Guys,

Jonny
I've had the same question in mind. It can be done like Banana GS said , the S-AFC has to be wired (the MAP/air flow signal) after the SRT ECU. in other words between the SRT ECU and the engine ECU.
I believe the SRT ECU has pre-set settings just like the stock ECU has. The SRT is just suppose to optimize the A/F better along with its larger 3.5" intake. I think that you will just be optimizing/fine tuning the SRT's A/F settings for your presonal engine conditions, mods, altittude, gas type,etc... I think any amount of benefit if any will depend on how much % fuel you have add or subtract. to the SRT ECU's readings.
I've finally got the S-AFC 2 wireing figured out for the 430 and this week end I should have mine wired in. I have to see if a shop will work w/ me on dyno time cause it will take some time to removing /replacing in takes. and then tuning the S-AFC.

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 08-03-05 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-03-05, 09:19 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
I've had the same question in mind. It can be done like Banana GS said , the S-AFC has to be wired (the MAP/air flow signal) after the SRT ECU. in other words between the SRT ECU and the engine ECU.
I believe the SRT ECU has pre-set settings just like the stock ECU has. The SRT is just suppose to optimize the A/F better along with its larger 3.5" intake. I think that you will just be optimizing/fine tuning the SRT's A/F settings for your presonal engine conditions, mods, altittude, gas type,etc... I think any amount of benefit if any will depend on how much % fuel you have add or subtract. to the SRT ECU's readings.
I've finally got the S-AFC 2 wireing figured out for the 430 and this week end I should have mine wired in. I have to see if a shop will work w/ me on dyno time cause it will take some time to removing /replacing in takes. and then tuning the S-AFC.
Why would u even keep the SRT ECU when it does what the S-AFC does? You would be tuning something that is tuning something

Just lose the SRT ECU and tune the SRT via the S-AFC.

Jonny

Quick Reply: Apex S-AFC with SRT Intake/ECU