Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Has Anyone run the 3.76 Gears without LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-05, 01:11 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

It is my understanding that 93+...someone correct me if I'm wrong..
Old 07-15-05, 07:09 AM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LasVegasGS
Will a Torsen LSD from a Pre 92 Supra work? Or only 92+ ?

93+ is correct.
Old 07-28-05, 08:04 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

if I remembered correctly, 93-94 supra (TT version only) has LSD as standard option.
95 and up the LSD changed by Toyota (from torsen to clutch type) and this is an optional only.
So if you look in the junk yard, if you find a 96 suppaTT diff, it may or may not have the LSD.= in it.

I have the 3.76 gear with no LSD for 2 years already, no problem (include driving in snow in Texas, yeah snow baby) The higher gear does help accelaration is straight line.

In the corner (90 degree turn only at intersection), either you go slowly (normal driving) or all out and let the rear drift then you are fine

if you are trying to accelerate just a little bit and day dream at the sametime during a 90degree turn you may be in a quick unexpected sliding

Do I recommend it? Definitely, which ever you can get your hand on: LSD or non LSD version, GET IT, simple installation, direct swap and start burning a "little" bit of rubber , better in price/gain ratio than exhast and intake change anyway

There are several members here with TC and 3.76 gear with no LSD ==> one word

Last edited by BananaGS; 07-28-05 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-28-05, 08:27 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it definately true you can't order the supra 3.76 LSD brand new from Toyota or RMM anymore?
Old 07-28-05, 12:11 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuckb
Is it definately true you can't order the supra 3.76 LSD brand new from Toyota or RMM anymore?
Best bet- call Todd @ TM Engineering, if anyone can get one still-he can. I got mine new frome him, although it has been a while now. Worth a phone call though...
Old 07-28-05, 06:42 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RRocket
I don't think it would be horrible at all. I've had Mustangs with 3.73's and 4.10's and as long as you have it pointed straight, it's no big deal. Mustangs do not have LSD. However, if you liked driving aggressively in the curves, you might have an issue. But for those of us that live in the Midwest where it's flat as a pancake and straight as an arrow, I think it would be OK...

On a seperate note, I've heard the LSD screws up the VSC a touch in the snow in that it doesn't detect that one wheel is spinning (since it can't because of the LSD) and that a spin can happen rather quickly and unexpectedly. FOr those in rthe snow belt, that might be reason to avoid the LSD. Can anyone comment on this??
Prior to having the lsd on my gs, driving in snow with my mich p/s a/s tires was an adventure.
Once the 3.76 lsd was installed, I noticed a vast improvement in traction. I could get up my driveway whereas before I'd get stuck. As a word of caution though, it can be very dangerous to drive in snow with vsc turned off. I did a few snow tests in an empty parking lot and found that with vsc off and just moderate gas, the rear end will instantly kick out far enough to hit a car in the next lane. In snow, I think the 3.76 lsd with snow mode and vsc on is far better than the stock open diff..
Old 07-28-05, 07:42 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BananaGS
if I remembered correctly, 93-94 supra (TT version only) has LSD as standard option.
95 and up the LSD changed by Toyota (from torsen to clutch type) and this is an optional only.
So if you look in the junk yard, if you find a 96 suppaTT diff, it may or may not have the LSD.= in it.

I have the 3.76 gear with no LSD for 2 years already, no problem (include driving in snow in Texas, yeah snow baby) The higher gear does help accelaration is straight line.

In the corner (90 degree turn only at intersection), either you go slowly (normal driving) or all out and let the rear drift then you are fine

if you are trying to accelerate just a little bit and day dream at the sametime during a 90degree turn you may be in a quick unexpected sliding

Do I recommend it? Definitely, which ever you can get your hand on: LSD or non LSD version, GET IT, simple installation, direct swap and start burning a "little" bit of rubber , better in price/gain ratio than exhast and intake change anyway

There are several members here with TC and 3.76 gear with no LSD ==> one word

Good advice here.

The only thing I would add is that all 93-96 Supra TT automatics had limited slip diffs. LSD was optional on the non-turbo cars. Gear ratio on the TT auto was 3.769 and on the non-turbo it was 4.272
http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/ncf/ncf93/ncf156.jpg

For 97 and 98 models LSD became an option on the TT automatics and was also optional on non-turbos. Gearing on the TT automatic did not change but the ring gear did increase slightly in diameter from 7.87" (200mm) to 8.07" (205mm) and changed from worm gear type torsen to a helical gear type torsen. Non-turbo gear ratios dropped to 4.083.
http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/ncf/ncf97/ncf026.jpg

Because it became an option on 97-98 TT automatics it is very tricky to determine if a differential from those year cars are actually LSD. It really takes a visual with the rear cover removed.