Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

new intake in my is300

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-05, 10:14 PM
roxster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new intake in my is300

my goodness!!!!!!!! i just installed my intake system left the car running for about 15 mins and took it out for a spin. man, i didn't believe it! it ran like a monster!!! and screams like a monster at around 4000rpm!
Old 07-09-05, 10:26 PM
chuckn
Driver School Candidate

whose intake did you put in?? Did you get an srt with the ecu upgrade or something along those lines? Just curious since I've heard if you don't do something with M.A.S. it will bring on your check engine light.
Old 07-09-05, 10:40 PM
GS3.0
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roxster
my goodness!!!!!!!! i just installed my intake system left the car running for about 15 mins and took it out for a spin. man, i didn't believe it! it ran like a monster!!! and screams like a monster at around 4000rpm!
which intake did you install and if you could post up pics dude!
Old 07-10-05, 01:01 AM
chrisCARL0S
Driver

Originally Posted by GS3.0
which intake did you install and if you could post up pics dude!
^^ Same question.
Old 07-10-05, 06:55 AM
roxster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chuckn
whose intake did you put in?? Did you get an srt with the ecu upgrade or something along those lines? Just curious since I've heard if you don't do something with M.A.S. it will bring on your check engine light.
it's just a no name brand. yeah, i thought the check engine light would come on too but it didn't. well, an intake is just a regular pipe that lets air in isn't it? i think the reasons the engine light comes on is because of the position of the sensor? well, i couldn't screw my sensor in yet... cuz the stock screws are too small so i just stuck 2 bigger screws and use wires and tie the sensor for the time being. one very very important step u guys forgot was to reset the ecu maybe? i just disconnect the negative terminal and work on it. and leave the car to run for a while before really start driving. well, i have to go work now, hope my engine light will never come on.
Old 07-10-05, 09:34 AM
Twidge
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

it's just a no name brand. yeah, i thought the check engine light would come on too but it didn't. well, an intake is just a regular pipe that lets air in isn't it? i think the reasons the engine light comes on is because of the position of the sensor? well, i couldn't screw my sensor in yet... cuz the stock screws are too small so i just stuck 2 bigger screws and use wires and tie the sensor for the time being. one very very important step u guys forgot was to reset the ecu maybe? i just disconnect the negative terminal and work on it. and leave the car to run for a while before really start driving. well, i have to go work now, hope my engine light will never come on.
It won't be guaranteed that the check engine light will not come on. Especially from a no name intake. Many manufacturers design and test their intakes to relieve that problem.
Old 07-10-05, 11:11 PM
roxster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Twidge
It won't be guaranteed that the check engine light will not come on. Especially from a no name intake. Many manufacturers design and test their intakes to relieve that problem.
well, on the pipe there is no words on it. but on the intake it says "bombz racing" or something?. i like the sound at full throttle!
Old 07-11-05, 03:29 AM
chuckn
Driver School Candidate

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're correct, an intake does let in air for the combustion process. That being said, when you increase the amount of air and/or decrease the temperature significantly, you throw off your a/f ratio a bit.

I am just learning the science of this myself but it makes sense that if the a/f ratio is not accounted for the engine management system will detect the mass amounts of air and process it differently.

Hopefully your engine light does not come on. I'd be interested know myself, just how much the volume of air increased on your new intake that didn't throw off the computer?
Old 07-11-05, 06:53 AM
roxster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chuckn
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're correct, an intake does let in air for the combustion process. That being said, when you increase the amount of air and/or decrease the temperature significantly, you throw off your a/f ratio a bit.

I am just learning the science of this myself but it makes sense that if the a/f ratio is not accounted for the engine management system will detect the mass amounts of air and process it differently.

Hopefully your engine light does not come on. I'd be interested know myself, just how much the volume of air increased on your new intake that didn't throw off the computer?
yeah, the amount of air that goes into the engine will be much larger than stock. that's the reason for an intake. so that was why i disconnected the ECU was to reset the whole system and let the car run for a while and so the ECU will have a chance to learn the A/F ratio so it'll program itself to whatever amount it is pulling it. but honestly, i just learned yesterday that there is actually 2 positions for the gas pedal. when u step on it it goes to about 80% and if u step on it harder all the way to the max that is when the car flies. if i have a chance i'll record the sound of my intake at full throttle. i like how it sings!
Old 07-11-05, 08:35 AM
Huffster
Driver School Candidate

Why would adding an aftermarket intake on an IS300 make a CEL come on? I've never heard of other cars (Hondas, Acuras, Subarus, Mitsubishi, etc) having trouble. I've had two previous cars with intakes and never had a problem. Never even thought for a second that there would be a problem. Is there something different with the IS300's computer system???
Old 07-11-05, 12:30 PM
MSM_IS300
Rookie

I had an injen intake on my car for about 3 months. In that time I threw a CEL about 2 times. I think it has to do with our MAF sensor. (mass air flow) I did not want to deal with the CEL nor flooring my car every 5 seconds to hear how nice it sounded so I decided to sell it.
Old 07-11-05, 09:51 PM
roxster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MSM_IS300
I had an injen intake on my car for about 3 months. In that time I threw a CEL about 2 times. I think it has to do with our MAF sensor. (mass air flow) I did not want to deal with the CEL nor flooring my car every 5 seconds to hear how nice it sounded so I decided to sell it.
well. i hear what u're saying. i think that when u reset the computer and leave the car run for a while to give the computer a chance to relearn the settings would be good. but if lexus computer is pre programmed ... then i don't know... the CEL will come on for sure. then i guess a computer mod would be required. but so far i've driving the car ran smoother than anything! no CEL, and at full throttle it whistles like a morning bird!
Old 07-11-05, 10:10 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

every ecu is different but on the es that i have. I put the AEM COI on and reset the ECU. After a few minutes i took it for a test drive. There was a noticeable increase in the rpm movement and the amount of fuel i was using over a long drive. And when you hit that 3500-4000k area the car was really fun to drive.(and thats saying alot for a 4door sedan) Enjoy your intake just be mindful of your filtration. The k&n style filters do still require attention from time to time.

Last edited by 3rdelement; 07-11-05 at 10:14 PM.