Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help! Need opinion on 2800 Torque Converter!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-05, 03:31 PM
mdwtexas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Need opinion on 2800 Torque Converter!

OK check this out. I read alot about alot of people in here that have had the precision industries 2800 stall speed converter put in and they all seemed to love it. It sounds like it makes it more fun to drive and faster too so I decided to order one and I got it in the mail today from Carson Toyota. So after I got it in the mail I go down to Eagle transmission shop and I go down there and talk to the owner. He seemed like a straight shootin good guy, with lots of letters all over the wall from customers who praised his work. I told him that I had a torque converter and tranny cooler that I wanted to have installed. They put my car up on the jack and looked underneath, and then told me that install would be about 429 bucks. I thought the price was fair, and I don't feel like driving all over the metroplex trying to save 50 dollars. He then proceeded to tell me that he wouldn't recommend putting the torque converter on the GS 400, especially one with 100k miles. He said basically that I wouldn't gain any speed and that it had no effect on performance, and that basically all the torque converter is doing is stalling my engine until full lockup occurs at 2800 rpm .Did i mention he also said that it would also affect the long term reliability of the transmission? He also stated that he wouldn't guarantee the work and that he didn't want me to be upset with them if I didn't like the way the car drove after the install of the TC. This is a guy with 30 years in transmission work. I respect his opinion, however everything I have read from you guys in the forums seems to contradict his opinion.

I need a battle plan.

I was so excited to finally get the TC only to get bummed out by a professionals distaste for that application on my GS400. Dammit!
He also said that high of a stall speed is too much for my car and recommended a 2200 rpm stall speed.
I'm just confused now. How many guys on here have put in the TC and what has been your experience with it? Should I just say forget it and instead put on the LSD instead? Any help would be appreciated....
Old 05-12-05, 03:36 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Dozens if not hundreds have done it. He knows transmissions, but he may not know Lexus.

Best stall speed is always debatable, but both PI and SRT recommended 2800 and that's what I went with in 2000 and have never looked back.

Have 'em install it, or go somewhere else if you are worried about their refusal to warranty.

You can always try to meet up with someone in your area with one installed and check it out
Old 05-12-05, 03:46 PM
mdwtexas

So Dave, you have had yours on since 2000 and no probs? That's awesome. Can you tell a definitive performance increase? Does the car jerk around alot when switching gears or anything unusual? What did you like most about the car after you put in the TC? Thanks!
Old 05-12-05, 03:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by mdwtexas
So Dave, you have had yours on since 2000 and no probs? That's awesome. Can you tell a definitive performance increase? Does the car jerk around alot when switching gears or anything unusual? What did you like most about the car after you put in the TC? Thanks!
mdw - all covered many times on many threads about the tc, definitely encourage you to search.

Can you tell a definitive performance increase? yes
Does the car jerk around alot when switching gears or anything unusual? no
What did you like most about the car after you put in the TC? increase in launch / off line accelleration. I liked most pulling up to a light with another GS4 with exact same other mods (SRT intake, Borla exhaust) and pulling on him hard off the line.
Old 05-12-05, 04:03 PM
mdwtexas

Thank you for the input... yeah sorry I didn't do enough research found some more threads especially in the forced induction section!
Old 05-12-05, 04:36 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't listen. I've found many "pros" don't know jack about Lexus.

I've got the TC on my 98 GS400. 108k Smooth as butter!
Old 05-12-05, 05:18 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Tc

I've had my TC since early Dec.

It took the shop I go to all day to install and it seems like it was $550 - $600 something like that for installation. So $429 seems like a great price.

It really increases the launch speed.
It is a very noticeable difference.
You can smoke the tires too
I've read where you cut .4-.5 tenths of a second off the 0-60 time.
I think it increases the fun factor and highly recommend it and the 3.76 LSD
which also speeds up the launch.

I've been a member of CL for 2 years and a visitor for at least a year before that.
During that time I've always heard this was the biggest bang for the buck.
I have not heard of anyone who had tranny problems because of it, nor have
I heard of anyone who did not like it once they got it.

The only thing I would warn you about is there is so much added torque, that the rear end can
break loose real easy.
I gunned it going uphill around a curve on a wet street and ended up with the rear end in front of me and sliding sideways toward a light pole. Lucky for me I stopped before I hit it. The front of
the car ended up in some grass and I had to back up while a Camry that was behind me waited. I was very embarassed but okay. Just don't gun it on slick streets and you should be allright.

Ivan
3dog
Old 05-12-05, 07:13 PM
mdwtexas

When you lost control of the car did you have your VSC on?
Old 05-12-05, 07:49 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Red face spin out

When you lost control of the car did you have your VSC on?

No, I had turned it off.

I was trying to drift around the corner. I punched it about half way thru and the next thing I know the rear end is going around in front of me, I steered into the slide like I was on ice and was very fortunate not to have done any damage to anyone or anything.

In hindsight it was a very stupid and careless move on my part.
It had been raining earlier and the road was still wet.
I take it very easy on wet roads now.

Ivan
3dog
Old 05-12-05, 07:59 PM
mdwtexas

That's cool man I think I have done my fair share of stupid things. So you have the LSD? Isn't that thing about 1600? Did you have the TC put on first then the LSD? Could you tell a big difference when you put on the LSD? Do you think its worth the investment?
Old 05-12-05, 08:17 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up 3.76 Lsd

That's cool man I think I have done my fair share of stupid things. So you have the LSD? Isn't that thing about 1600? Did you have the TC put on first then the LSD? Could you tell a big difference when you put on the LSD? Do you think its worth the investment?

Actually I did the 3.76 LSD first. I was very mpressed with how quick the 3.76 gear made the car. And with the LSD you can kind of just power around corners and feel both rear wheels pushing you. Of course with the TC adding so much torque you need to be careful.

I loved just having the 3.76 LSD and would highly recommend it. It was a blast and a half, and the traction from power to both wheels is very noticeable. I also got to put it to good use during a snow and ice storm here. Put on the Blizzack tires and the traction was unbeliveable. I live on a very steep hill that people were riding those saucer things down and I drove right up it.

I hear the 3.76 LSD is getting very hard to find. If it were me I would get it first if you can find one. You can always get the TC later. I got mine from Rod Millen but I've heard they can't get them anymore, but I would still check with them.
http://www.rodmillenstore.com/produc...category=drive

RMM 3.76 Limited Slip Differential
Increase your traction through corners/launches and lower your 0-60 times by nearly half a second (0.4)!! This piece utilizes a Torsen-style Limited Slip Differential (LSD) and 3.76 gear ratio. The item is a direct bolt-on replacement for the factory unit.
$ 1699.95 |

I just realized you already have the TC so get it installed. if you can find the 3.76 LSD it is a great combo and lots faster than stock.
Good luck
Ivan

Last edited by 3dog; 05-12-05 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-12-05, 10:53 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

I can personally vouch for everything Ivan said! I got the LSD first too and it was a big improvement. The TC (with cooler) came later and it really compiments the LSD w/lower gearing. The two just work well together and make the car really "come alive" If you get a chance to drive a car with these two mods, you will be amazed at the difference!
Don't worry about the mechanic's opinions. Over the years of modding my cars, I have found many pros that really know the technical stuff about the actual work, but don't really care about modding cars and want everyone to drive stock. When you read on clublexus forum that MANY owners have done this mod with great results, you can rest assured...
GO FOR IT !!
Old 05-13-05, 05:40 AM
mdwtexas

Ok guys I am going for it. It is 7:30 in the morning and I am on my way there to put that bad boy in!! I just needed a confidence booster after taking that bashing yesterday. I think he is going to poop his pants when he sees me show up right when he opens .. haha!

Yeah that LSD sounds pretty awesome. Have any of you guys seen the TRD LSD on the
Carson toyota website? It's like 900 bucks. What do you guys think of that one?
Old 05-13-05, 05:45 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Have any of you guys seen the TRD LSD on the
Carson toyota website? It's like 900 bucks. What do you guys think of that one?
MDW,

Try searching the GS forum for "TRD LSD" please. There are literally hundreds of threads on the topic.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/search.php
Old 05-13-05, 06:33 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

I have the TRD one and am very happy with it, I have never drive a car with a differnet one so I cant compare it to one of the other styles. I think I got mine for about 600.00. It is very quitet in fact I dont hear it at all, well I take that back wehn I first got it I thikn there was a slight clicking wehn turnnign but now there is nothing. I've had it about a year.

Quick Reply: Help! Need opinion on 2800 Torque Converter!