Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
Old 12-16-14, 12:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

D.I.Y. Oxygen Sensor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-11, 09:26 AM
mphsatty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do live in Memphis (PM sent).

No, didn't even think about an exhaust leak. Guess I'll just install the new sensor and see what happens with the CEL--then go from there.
Old 09-17-11, 01:18 PM
mphsatty
Driver School Candidate

This DIY works really well. The only problem at all was disconnecting the electrical connector. You really can't see it very well because it's almost flush with the edge of the dash. Just press down on a recessed arm (with a small, slotted screwdriver.
Old 10-07-11, 02:46 PM
95Bravo
Driver School Candidate

Bvance - your post saved me $400+ by DIY instead of bending over for the dealer. A lot of posts on O2 sensors, but your's was linear, detailed and easily understood. Thank you.
Old 11-02-11, 08:46 AM
averyt45
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Bank 2 Sensor 2

i've been hunting this thing for awhile now. thanks man. how's it running now?
Old 11-12-11, 11:41 AM
alzimme
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just replaced Bank 1 Sensor 1 error. I got the sensor off of Rockauto.com for $34 shipped (came with the built in heater). Took about 2 or 3 days to ship. PB'd the heck out of it in the morning and then right before I wrenched it off. Granted this is the easiest sensor to get to, it took all of 10 minutes to do the swap. Took longer to let the PB work its way in and reset the ECU. Difficulty 1.5 out of 5.
The following users liked this post:
Yodog (11-02-21)
Old 12-02-11, 04:28 PM
anakate
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rockero28
Okay, so my first question, is how do you know which is bad, since there 4 right? I guess I could take it to lexus and pay the $138 for the diagnostics, but is there a way to find out otherwise? Also, how hard is it really to do this? I am good at alot of things, but anything having to do with the "check engine" light, well I am not always too comfortable doing. but if it's not that hard, maybe i can. Or I can buy someone a 12pk of their favorite beer in echange?? I will buy the parts of course!

Rock
I go to Advanced Auto Parts every once in a while to make sure that the light that is on is for the same thing - my O2 sensor and not something else. It is free. Free. I started to feel guilty going there for just a reading so I buy some smelly thing. I'm sure the other auto part stores may offer the same thing. Call them.
Old 12-04-11, 12:57 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by anakate
I go to Advanced Auto Parts every once in a while to make sure that the light that is on is for the same thing - my O2 sensor and not something else. It is free. Free. I started to feel guilty going there for just a reading so I buy some smelly thing. I'm sure the other auto part stores may offer the same thing. Call them.
I'm not sure everyone is aware of this, but you can buy your own OBD2 code reader from Pep Boys or amazon.com very easily for under $100. I have this one and I like it:

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3100-Inn...3031994&sr=1-9

I'd rather be able to read and reset my own codes rather than rely on the diagnostic capability of anyone at an auto parts store, free or not. Also remember why they are offering this service for free and why they are in business - they want to sell parts. So what may seem like it is in YOUR interest is actually in THEIRS.
Old 03-10-12, 05:44 PM
simplicity
Rookie

Thank for this write up it helped out alot!
Old 07-25-12, 10:25 AM
clawmoolah
Rookie

Wow I need help with my with my sensor anyone call help.? 2000 gs300 located in Brooklyn
Old 10-16-12, 04:44 AM
oddjobs
Driver School Candidate

Which are the best brand o2 sensors to buy?
Old 12-10-12, 10:42 AM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What can a bad o2 sensor cause and what should the resistance be if I ohm it out?
Old 03-06-13, 03:44 PM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dtwillis5
What can a bad o2 sensor cause and what should the resistance be if I ohm it out?

I'm interested in these readings as well. My car isn't throwing the check engine light, but I have lost 12% in MPG all of the sudden and it has never increased. Been over 9 months now. I've tried everything else and nothing has fixed it. So if I can check Ohm readings that might eliminate the potential of buying new sensors and saving a couple hundred bucks on 4 new potentially unneeded parts...
Old 03-15-13, 11:41 AM
thatlowlex
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the post, this helped me tons!
Old 03-19-13, 01:35 PM
lexdubz
Driver School Candidate

I have a 99 gs300y check eng light came so I took for a diagnostic and the code said possible cause was loose sensor wire , blown fuse or O2 sensor how do iI check connections and fuse
Old 04-10-13, 10:01 AM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How do I know which sensors are downstream or upstream? For example bank 2 sensor 2.

04 GS430 if that helps at all...

Quick Reply: D.I.Y. Oxygen Sensor Replacement