Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
Old 12-16-14, 12:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

D.I.Y. Oxygen Sensor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-13, 10:13 AM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Trying to save some funds I'd like to get the universal denso ones it I don't know the correct up/down stream ones to get.
Old 04-10-13, 10:58 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by whytry
How do I know which sensors are downstream or upstream? For example bank 2 sensor 2.

04 GS430 if that helps at all...

Trying to save some funds I'd like to get the universal denso ones it I don't know the correct up/down stream ones to get.
here,the part #'s for the V8 (specifically the GS430 in here) post # 19

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...2-sensors.html
Old 04-10-13, 11:38 AM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
here,the part #'s for the V8 (specifically the GS430 in here) post # 19

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...2-sensors.html

Thx!! Greatly appreciate
Old 04-10-13, 02:08 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Thx!! Greatly appreciate
welcome.....
Old 04-27-13, 06:51 PM
tommyts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just did this DYI on my 2000 GS300. Not bad at all. The only sticking point was removing the clip/connector under the carpet....i thought i was gonna break it. A good case could be made for just going with the universal sensor and cutting the wires under the car, so you wouldn't even have to deal with carpet removal issues.
fyi - i got the OEM Denso sensor off Amazon for less than $70 w/connector... looks like a great deal.
Also, the Check Engine light didn't go off until I disconnected and reconnected the battery, as the original poster says.
I know this is an old thread, but Thanks!
Old 11-24-13, 07:23 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered the two O2 sensors (Bank 2 Sensors 1 and 2) for the CEL that I have. Is the O2 sensor removal tool needed for this job? I saw it priced for about $12 but just wondering if it's actually needed. From some picks I saw, it looks like I can use an open end wrench to remove the sensor.
Attached Thumbnails D.I.Y. Oxygen Sensor Replacement-2004_1126image0006.jpg  
Old 11-24-13, 07:31 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

not needed but $12 well spent on making your life less miserable. Start spraying a little PB blaster on those threads. That also will make it easier.
Old 11-24-13, 08:00 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I might as well get it since my garage has too much crap in it and I'll be handling this outside in the cold. I don't need the added aggravation.
Old 01-05-14, 05:31 PM
azmalu1
Rookie

sorry guys i read diagram but not cofident is the other pictured sensor bank 1 sensor 1
Old 01-14-14, 02:06 PM
Likini
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by azmalu1

sorry guys i read diagram but not cofident is the other pictured sensor bank 1 sensor 1
Bank 1 sensor 1 is located just above the motor mount on the exhaust manifold before the cat( AKA upstream). Below the cat that is bank 1 sensor 2.
Old 09-10-14, 02:35 PM
ChiefSeeth
Driver School Candidate

thank you so much, i needed bank 1 sensor 2 which costs somewhere around 260 for the part itself at lexus.
Old 09-21-14, 09:54 AM
ksersoze
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ajdemarco
Great instructions, it took me 20 minutes. Hardest part was fretting over how hard it was going to be. Thanks you saved me hundreds of bucks

Andy
I agree.

A few FYIs. You don't need any tools to remove the carpet from the front passenger side to reveal the O2 sensor connector. Just remove the plastic cover from the railing and pull the carpet just enough to reveal the connector. You do need a flathead screwdriver to remove the sensor from the connector. Just pulling it from the connector may break the connector wires.

Also I used the sensor removal tool. I ordered the sensor and removal tool from Amazon for about $70 (including shipping). I used WD40 to loosen the 02 sensor. I used a mallet hammer on the wrench attached to the removal tool to loosen it just enough so that I can turn the sensor by hand to remove it completely. I used the anti-seize compound when I installed the new sensor.

One last thing. I test drove the car after installing the new sensor and clearing the error code using the code reader. After I drove for a few miles, I came home and noticed burning smell under the hood. Apparently, the WD40 that I sprayed to loosen the sensor began to burn because of the heat from the exhaust. I should have wiped the WD40 from the area of the new sensor before test driving it.
Old 10-27-14, 05:57 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcon
All my life after have 12 year old and now 4_ something. LOL I working with Toyota and Lexus. One easy think that I found out on Toyota and Lexus is if you tryto tipe just, just a little more the crew or nut that you working on it you want to head or filing a pop onthat crew or nut. After that try to lose the crew or nut. You want to see that isvery easy to loose anything that are you try to loose.
Also guys, O'Reilly Auto part rent a set of 3 sockets for $28.00 including taxes. Also, you can return in 48 hrs. That set have 3 different side of sockets and I used a week ago and the very small socket was the best to loose the Bank 2 sensor 1. Like I said before, try to tightened first and then loose the sensor. Sorry guys I use my cell phone to write this and the stu*&^/# smart phone tipe sometime what ever he want. Like on my previous email said type the crew or nut and what I try to say is tightened. Again stupid smart phone. I hope and this comment help to the next guy that try to do this. BTW take my to do both sensors and I let the hour. And I pay for both sensor Denso brand and I paid $60.00 for bank 2 sensor 1 and for bank 2 sensor 2 $65.00 and with tax was $140.00 no bad at all.
Old 10-27-14, 06:10 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
not needed but $12 well spent on making your life less miserable. Start spraying a little PB blaster on those threads. That also will make it easier.
All my life after I have 12 year old and now 4_ something LOL. I working with Toyota and Lexus. One easy think that I found out on Toyota and Lexus is if you try to tightened just, just a little more the crew or nut that you working on it you want to listen or filing on your hands a pop on that crew or nut. After that try to lose the crew or nut. You want to see that is very easy to loose anything that are you try to loose.
Old 09-30-15, 07:56 AM
freaklexus
Driver School Candidate

Good help guys! thanks

Quick Reply: D.I.Y. Oxygen Sensor Replacement