Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supercharged GS300

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-01, 02:55 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 5 speed auto on the GS300 will not work with the V300 2JZ-GTE engine. The 2JZ-GTE engine from the Aristo V300 or supra or whatever can be swapped onto the GS300, and it's been done (98+ GS), but there's more to it. You'll need the V300 ECU to have the engine running properly, but that ECU will only recognize a 4-speed auto like the one in Japan on the V300. Therefore you'll need to get the tranny from Japan also. Then you need the harness.

It's doable, just pricy. Unless someone use the turbo engine from the Supra and use a 5-speed or 6-speed. Try that.
Old 05-04-01, 11:40 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It all depends on your wallet... 2nd car would be nice too

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
The 5 speed auto on the GS300 will not work with the V300 2JZ-GTE engine. The 2JZ-GTE engine from the Aristo V300 or supra or whatever can be swapped onto the GS300, and it's been done (98+ GS), but there's more to it. You'll need the V300 ECU to have the engine running properly, but that ECU will only recognize a 4-speed auto like the one in Japan on the V300. Therefore you'll need to get the tranny from Japan also. Then you need the harness.

It's doable, just pricy. Unless someone use the turbo engine from the Supra and use a 5-speed or 6-speed. Try that.
You can indeed do an Aristo V300 transplant. Like GlobeCLK mentioned... it is both pricey in terms of money and time. To this day I still have "bugs" to work out. I can tell you that you do need a '98-'00 V300 ECU (and not newer!), V300 motor (because the turbo manifold configurations between the Supra and Aristo are off), complete front wiring harness, 4-speed tranny (the US will work except you will never touch 5th gear... therefore your gearing will not be practical...plus you would not have to modify driveshaft), upper end of the auto JZA80's driveshaft (four connector yolk... special thanks to Jarrett at Powerhouse), Supra fuel pump or 96gph pump if you are planning to upgrade turbos, new fuel line and return line, stock or GReddy Fount Mount Intercooler... by the way I really suggest you add a boost controller, timer, egt gauge, TRD LSD, at least Supra front brakes (you're going to need it) and a downpipe for a kick.

Now in terms of dropping in a non VVT-i 2JZ-GTE into a 98+ GS... I suggest you fly an electrical engineer/mechanic of mine from Osaka. You basically have to convert your whole damn car into a JZA80. The wiring is totally different. Many of your sensors got to go, driveshaft has to be modified. Let me stress the wiring... it's gonna be a jungle. I witnessed this conversion first hand and it is not a pretty site especially at the junction of the ECU... man! The ride was even with aftermarket HKS Hiper Dampers... HKSpowerGS4... I know you've have seen that Frankenstein car. I think in labor alone would cost as much as the V300 swap. Let's wait for Bruce's results if it is much different from mine.

However, going JZS147 is do-able except the twin turbos will not clear the firewall and the ABS will be in the way. Make sure you're ECU is pre obd-II. A good friend of mine done the swap and is running a single turbo HKS T04R. He is on stock Supra fuel system. Even with his box in the trunk, his car can do the quarter mile in the 11s on street radials. Currently he is upgrading to 680-720cc injectors and the larger -6 fuel line... man.

We really do need more "wild" GS's on this forum... I've been noticing an increase in "luxury rice GS cars."
Old 05-05-01, 02:06 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

v300 - can you define wild gs and luxury rice gs for me? If you mean wild as in s/c or turbo then i hope to join the club. Just waiting on Mo or TRD .
Old 05-06-01, 12:42 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default mild to wild to luxury rice

Originally posted by 1niceride
v300 - can you define wild gs and luxury rice gs for me? If you mean wild as in s/c or turbo then i hope to join the club. Just waiting on Mo or TRD .
1niceride,

As a disclaimer, what I am about to put down is through my opinion only (professional and novice). I do not intend to offend anyone in particular.

Brief History: In California, we have nurtured as well as witnessed the explosion of the aftermarket import scene. 2/5 import car purchased in California are modified according to a representative from Speedoptions. "Enthusiasts" alter/modify their cars as uniquely or drastically from stock as possible. Usually the mods are done in good taste to the general import scene while others "kill" the movement. Mods include anything from modifications in body, a THX/DTS sound system, suspension, ergonomics, turbo/supercharging, engine swaps, etc.

I respect the JZS14# and JZS16# model line of cars. It is a luxury midsize car as with a sporty stance. It is an excellent car however it does have it's limitations. I've seen countless GS drivers drive as though they own the road, i.e., gunning their cars at the sight of a green light and driving way above the allowed speed limits. This gives some GS owners a bad name. I have also witnessed countless drivers like the ones I've described lose face after being challenged by Mustangs and heavily modified Hondas/Acuras.

Mods (and not limited to)-
mild: wheels, suspension/lowering, basically sound upgrades, intake system, leaning out the air/mixture, LSD, torque converter, subtle body kits.

wild: turbo/supercharging, engine swap, fuel system, complete suspension upgrade, competition systems... in good taste "the whole package."

luxury rice: V300 emblems on a GS300, stickers, bodykits on stock wheels, loud exhausts that rob back pressure, and thinking these modifications make the car a true breed sports car. By the way, I have not yet seen a manual tranny GS... so what gives? "What may look fast might not be fast."
Old 05-06-01, 01:55 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Question alfter all

so after all these engine swap or putting on an SC, which one gives you the most performance gains? hey how about switching an GS400 V8 engine into it, isn't it better than v300's 2jz-gte's engine swap? just thought tho.........
Old 05-06-01, 05:52 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default Re: alfter all

Originally posted by gsintensive
so after all these engine swap or putting on an SC, which one gives you the most performance gains? hey how about switching an GS400 V8 engine into it, isn't it better than v300's 2jz-gte's engine swap? just thought tho.........
gsintensive,

Don't get me wrong. The GS400 has a torquey and responsive engine. The current supercharger kits for the GS400 I know sofar deliver a good reliable 340 rwhp. Supposedly Micheal has a higher output setup. We have got to verify with him or if not Mo.

On the otherhand, the JDM 2JZGTE w/ VVT-i is rated at 280ps by the Japanese Insurance Agency. This car is detuned to pass the Gentlemen's Act in Japan. Let me remind you this engine is the same engine used in twin-turbo Supras. The 2JZ-GTE can push out 600 rwhp on stock internals with proper turbo sizing and fuel systems. On stock twin ceramic turbos coupled with a simple boost controller, front mount intercooler for 1.2 bar or more setting, ignition upgrade, air/fuel correction, and a optional downpipe the car pushes out more horsepower than 340 rwhp. Also in Japan, the V300 and Supra Twin Turbo has a plethora of aftermarket upgrade turbo kits readily available.

Back in states, all we have is Swift-Racing, who let me remind you grew with the popularity of the ClubLexus forum and UPRD that just went through a corporate reconstruction. In Japan established aftermarket companies such as HKS, GReddy, A'Pex-i, SARD, AB-Flug, Veilside, Jun, C-One and many more have tinkered or have upgrades for the V300.

Food for thought: What ever you can muster up for a Supra (JZA80) you can mirror it on a V300.
Old 05-06-01, 05:55 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default question for gsintensive

gsintensive,

I noticed in your signiture you have a v300. Do you have the complete swap or just a badge? If you have done the swap, I'd like to compare notes with you.
Old 05-06-01, 06:15 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Talking re: v300

V300 thank you for your detail explanation. Basically i put v300 cuz i thought it's the same as gs300 just in better words. = ) so basically you are saying that 2JZ-GTE has much more potential deliverying the real world hp gains. how much is the engine swap with labor? if it anywhere uner 10k, i will be real interested in it. I have a GS300 and i am so eager to make it go much faster, and i do have the budget in doing so. so any suggestion mater v300? = )
Old 05-06-01, 07:37 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Default v300 you from irvine?

i just talked about globeCLK (ray) about which way is the best to go? anywayz since you graduate from UCI and work around Irvine, we have to gather a meet about this = ) .... my aim is xintensive hope to talk to you soon
Old 05-06-01, 10:00 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default engine for sale

gsintensive,

In this world... horsepower costs money and time. 10K can only get you a turbo kit and install... however I doubt the ligitamacy of many of the kits in market for the US 98+ GS300s. This is simply because of the limited capabilities of the piggyback ECU's. I have heard so many people on this forum talk about Toyomoto's kit (98+ GS300) but I've never heard of one with the actual "kit." I know Toyomoto uses a piggyback Haltech and it is not even a E36K. Also, your stock transmission can take so much beating. Have you ever wondered why the JDM 2jz and 1jz turbo Toyotas only have 4 speed tranny with way more rings?

Tell you what: I can sell you a '00 2JZ-GTE for $7500. It is up to you to obtain a wiring harness, ECU, and tranny. I have three trusted mechanics and electrical engineers to build you an Aristo if you are interested. The cost will be 16K. That is assuming the price of parts and labor. Also I recommend you Obtain Mine's or Tom's ECU with a 1.3bar boost rating and optimized air-fuel setting. This is already calculated in the cost. Put it this way... in the end you will be running a reliable 460hp GS. By the way, you have got to get rid of the 20's to reduce rotational inertia plus you need better clearance to turn at high speed.
Old 05-06-01, 10:03 PM
HKSpowerGS4
Driver

Nice words V300... Yes I have seen the pics....its a big task. Just a little FYI, I am started with my new project that I mentioned to you.

As for the 1UZFE in the GS400, its a great power plant , but in all honesty, from much personal experience, the 2JZ-GTE from the Supra TT and the Aristo has much more potential. Power out from 400 to even 600-700RWHP is capable and reliable from the power plant. As testiment to that, my previous daily driven supra put out 604 rwhp with an HKS TO4R single turbo. As for the VVT-i 2JZ-GE in the 98 GS300 and the non-VVT-I 2JZ-GE in the NA Supra, SC300, pre-98 GS300 it does share some of the characteristics of its turbo version powerplant but not all (which are necessary for high horsepower turbo applications). As V300 has done the V300 swap, and Martin Kraft will be doing his project, I will also be endevoring with a forced induction project.

The VVT-i in the 98+ GS300's does put an extra step ,versus the non-VVT-i 2JZ-GE which has been turbocharged with good success, in terms of engine managment but it should still be possible without too much work.
Old 05-06-01, 11:16 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: mild to wild to luxury rice

Originally posted by v300

luxury rice: V300 emblems on a GS300, stickers, bodykits on stock wheels, loud exhausts that rob back pressure, and thinking these modifications make the car a true breed sports car.

OUCH!

Hey, I got the V300 emblems because S300 badges were on backorder!
Old 05-07-01, 05:38 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Default v300

hey v300 16k is really tempting, just that i have to start saving up, cuz it's way out of my original budget, (8k?)
is that 2JZ-GTE emgine brand new? or how long labor will take? get back and keep me updated on that alrite? it's really tempting... is there any negative feedback tho? like endless bugs? or....... just wondering if i am gonna spend that much money = )

Wei
Old 05-07-01, 09:58 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Default for v300

can you leave your contact info to me? i am really interested at your engine swap deal. = )
Old 05-08-01, 12:22 AM
Jazziz
Driver

I've been enjoying this thread. I've been chatting with the CEO at SRT very recently and he did confirm his stage 4 s/c GS4 is making >700rwhp and he will debut his stage (x) s/c at the Big Creek Dragway in MD this Jul 21-22. He wouldn't give me specific numbers, but expect rwhp "way way north" of the stage 4 s/c. :eek:

I tend to believe these cars would fall into "wild" catagory!

Quick Reply: Supercharged GS300