Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Torque Coverter as a first mod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-04, 09:34 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Torque Coverter as a first mod?

Has anyone done the torque converter as their first mod? I've researched what mod to do next, and it sounds like the TC mod is the best bang for the buck. I have no interest in a cat-back. I know it will only be good for 2-4 HP. (I did testing and research on DOHC V8 engines, and know that most ANY DOHC engine won't make decent power with just a cat-back. A complete exhaust from headers back YES, but not just a cat-back). The SRT seems like an OK mod, but I can't find consensus among owners...some seem to be very happy with it, others less so. So in the end, it looks like the TC is a nice mod, and most everyone who has it seems very please. SO how many here did it as their first mod, and what else can you tell me? Did you back it up with any track times or accelerometer times? I'll be doing the install myself, so it's just a matter of getting the TC. I just want to hear a few experiences with it, preferably with some testing thrown in. Thanks again!! ~R
Old 06-20-04, 10:59 PM
LexFather

Moved here. Use Advanced SEARCH and you will easily find your anwer.
Old 06-20-04, 11:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if you talk about performance, yes, the tc is simply the best mod for the money. second would be higher gear ratio.
Old 06-20-04, 11:41 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm just impressed that you are doing the TC DIY.
Old 06-21-04, 11:31 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Neo,

I've always worked on cars myself. And I think that most people here could do a TC by themselves. They would just have to take their time. It's not overly difficult, just time consuming. People don't give themselves enough credit.

Oh..and I DID do an advanced search, but "torque converter" didn't come up with alot, as I assume everyone does "TC" when they are describing the torque converter. But the advanced search function gives me an ERROR when I type in TC or PI TC, as there aren't enough characters. So perhaps you could fix this in the search function, and I'd be glad to re-do an advanced search. Cheers!! ~R
Old 06-21-04, 04:24 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by RRocket
Neo,

I've always worked on cars myself. And I think that most people here could do a TC by themselves. They would just have to take their time. It's not overly difficult, just time consuming. People don't give themselves enough credit.

Oh..and I DID do an advanced search, but "torque converter" didn't come up with alot, as I assume everyone does "TC" when they are describing the torque converter. But the advanced search function gives me an ERROR when I type in TC or PI TC, as there aren't enough characters. So perhaps you could fix this in the search function, and I'd be glad to re-do an advanced search. Cheers!! ~R
My bad dude, I was not trying to insult you. Doing the TC by yourself, R U gonna post pics? Maybe a tutorial? That would be great.
TC is the best acceleration mod. It does lower your top speed from my understanding, due to shorter gear ratios. It is heavy as hell too.
Old 06-21-04, 04:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
My bad dude, I was not trying to insult you. Doing the TC by yourself, R U gonna post pics? Maybe a tutorial? That would be great.
TC is the best acceleration mod. It does lower your top speed from my understanding, due to shorter gear ratios. It is heavy as hell too.
the tc shouldn't affect the top speed. higher final gear ratio on the rear end is what reduce the top speed. but yeah, it's heavy... well, not as heavy as the supra lsd.... that thing is a freaking 100lb.... what a work out for me...
Old 06-21-04, 05:49 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the torque converter today, it was well worth the money and the time. It definitely makes a noticeable difference.

1. Launches harder
2. Shifts harder
3. hesitation off the line is totally eliminated.

As far as easy mod, I'm glad I didnt do it myself, it took the shop quite some time to get it done. The bolts that held the tranny in and the exhaust bolts did not want to play ball and they had the right tools. I would of strugggled for some time I think as a DIY
Old 06-21-04, 06:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Like rominl said, tc doesn't affect top speed, it just increases the rpm level at which the converter locks up and applies full engine torque to the drivetrain. But that doesn't change cruising rpms.

Changing the final gear ratio, like the Supra torsen diff I have, does lower top speed because it increases rpms at all speeds.
Old 06-21-04, 07:50 PM
omegagavin
Driver

Originally posted by rominl
the tc shouldn't affect the top speed. higher final gear ratio on the rear end is what reduce the top speed. but yeah, it's heavy... well, not as heavy as the supra lsd.... that thing is a freaking 100lb.... what a work out for me...
I thought the PI TC was much lighter than the stock TC.
Old 06-21-04, 07:55 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

I didnt handle the stock unit but the Dragon is definitley not 100 pounds, somewhere between 25 and 45 I would say and my guess is closer to 25
Old 06-21-04, 11:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by morris
I didnt handle the stock unit but the Dragon is definitley not 100 pounds, somewhere between 25 and 45 I would say and my guess is closer to 25
the tc is around 30lb

i was talking about the rear end
Old 06-22-04, 10:41 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl
the tc is around 30lb

i was talking about the rear end
Do you think the Supra 3.76 diff. is heavier than the stock unit?
I'm having mine installed on Friday at TM Engineering Maybe I'll weigh the two while I'm there...just curious.
Old 06-22-04, 10:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by FutureGS400
Do you think the Supra 3.76 diff. is heavier than the stock unit?
I'm having mine installed on Friday at TM Engineering Maybe I'll weigh the two while I'm there...just curious.
i have no idea about that, but even so the difference shoudl be minimal
Old 06-22-04, 10:51 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you will let us know which is heavier, but my guess is that the 3.76 unit is much heavier -- look at all the extra gearing crammed into that pumpkin.

Quick Reply: Torque Coverter as a first mod?