Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
Old 12-16-14, 12:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Spark Plug Change for GS300

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-14, 09:26 AM
nezlyfe
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are 3 coil packs and 3 spark wires. The wires piggyback off the coil packs.
Old 04-05-15, 05:51 PM
redjeeper
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys, I am going to do this job again in the next few days. This time I will film it and post it to YouTube. It's been a while since I have been active here, can anyone tell me how to attach a video? I am also going to do a post on how to replace the power steering pump. Let me know if you guys are interested.
Old 04-21-15, 08:47 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by redjeeper
Hey guys, I am going to do this job again in the next few days. This time I will film it and post it to YouTube. It's been a while since I have been active here, can anyone tell me how to attach a video? I am also going to do a post on how to replace the power steering pump. Let me know if you guys are interested.
I've been looking at your thread for years. I'm highly interested in viewing it. Just post it on YouTube and link it here
Old 07-27-15, 10:06 AM
flash9
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation Do Not Do What I Did!

So, This weekend I decided to replace the plugs and wires on my 2JZ-GE engine. I had finished everything up except replacing the snorkel between the air filter box and the throttle body. I figured the car should run fine, and was not concerned the air entering the throttle body was not "filtered".

Tried to start the car a couple times and it would start only to die after a few seconds, by what appeared to be lack of fuel.

After looking a little closer it became obvious that the Mass Airflow Meter was attached to the Air Filter Box and without the snorkel attached no air flow was being sensed by the MAF, and thus the cars computer was shutting it down since it did not think the engine was getting any air!

Attached the snorkel and car fired right up.
Old 11-05-15, 01:34 AM
Skeletnman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexizm
Yes, I can. I put them in a little while ago and then I went up with the club to the Dragon "Tail of the Dragon 05". I'm very pleased with the plugs. I did see an increase in gas mileage (9 to 13+) and I can say I did see the difference in a quicker acceleration. I was able to keep up (closely) with some worked IS300's on the Dragon with short bursts of acceleration (you know given the weight difference, plus I'm worked too). It does rev up quicker, I give it a big up

Where you get yours? Plug model number? The site posted a few back isn't exactly information rich for the torque masters
Old 11-19-15, 07:17 AM
dreamcar88
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

nice writeup. makes me appreciate my gte engine alot more just take the cover off and take plugs out in 10 mins... every 2j should have just been turbo from the start with all this extra bs for the gt engine makes it such a pia

Last edited by dreamcar88; 11-19-15 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-20-15, 06:17 PM
1youth
Driver School Candidate

Just take your time when you are working on it.
Old 06-22-16, 06:29 PM
gregh48
Driver School Candidate

Do you have any pics? I am going to change my plugs and need all the help I can get. Thanks
Old 03-27-17, 12:40 PM
Katlexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Ignition coils

how long should the cooks last or at what point should I change them out ?
Old 01-03-18, 10:26 AM
joshua777
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redjeeper
I just posted this but figured I would post it here as well. I hate to bring up an over saturated topic, but I found this to change a lot of things and figured I would share. For years I have been using NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs (BKR5EIX-11) in my 1999 GS300, 196,XXX miles. However, about 2 months ago, I realized that these were the WRONG plugs for the GS300. I was doing work under the hood and realized a sticker I have never looked at (pictured below) and it got my attention. Checked the owners manual, only to find that I have been using the wrong spark plugs for the last 12 years or so?!?! The owners manual calls for platinum twin ground electrodes, or NGK Laser Platinum (BKR5EKPB-11). Not only was I using iridium instead of platinum, but I was also using single ground instead of twin ground. It clearly states to ONLY using platinum plugs for the GS300 and ONLY iridium plugs for the GS400. I mean, it even has an "X" through the single ground. The twin ground platinum plugs are pricy, $60 for 6 NGK ($1 each), or $45 for 6 DENSO. There are countless forums suggesting the using of single ground iridium plugs for the GS300, so hopefully this can help some people out. Heck, even O'Reilly's doesn't know that you need twin ground, they offer you single ground. I know it is pricey but my MPG went from 16 combined city/highway, to 24 combined city/highway after the switch, highway is at 75-80 mph 90% of the time. Not only this, but the new plugs gave me more HP/TQ, way more punchy, fixed a stutering problem I had around 35-45 mph, and the other plugs caused my alternator to fail prematurely. All things that I had written off because of the age of my car. After the experience with the new plugs, and what the owners manual had to say, safe to say I won't be using anything else.

NGK Plugs (what I use):
Amazon Amazon

DENSO Plugs (have not used):
Amazon Amazon
Attached Thumbnails Spark Plug Change for GS300-spark-1.jpg   Spark Plug Change for GS300-spark-2.jpg   Spark Plug Change for GS300-spark-3.jpg  
Old 05-19-18, 08:43 AM
Scatman63
Driver School Candidate

Default 1st generation lexus gs 300

I tried doing my plugs yesterday but gave up after watching videos on YouTube I did nt realise the other nut underneath the throttle body so I put it all back together it only done 52.000 miles when I bought it last year now got 61.000 done auxiliary belt a month ago I do services every 6 months
Old 10-29-18, 02:59 AM
clubcaner
Driver School Candidate

Did it make a difference in the performance...
Old 10-29-18, 05:38 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by joshua777
I just posted this but figured I would post it here as well. I hate to bring up an over saturated topic, but I found this to change a lot of things and figured I would share. For years I have been using NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs (BKR5EIX-11) in my 1999 GS300, 196,XXX miles. However, about 2 months ago, I realized that these were the WRONG plugs for the GS300. I was doing work under the hood and realized a sticker I have never looked at (pictured below) and it got my attention. Checked the owners manual, only to find that I have been using the wrong spark plugs for the last 12 years or so?!?! The owners manual calls for platinum twin ground electrodes, or NGK Laser Platinum (BKR5EKPB-11). Not only was I using iridium instead of platinum, but I was also using single ground instead of twin ground. It clearly states to ONLY using platinum plugs for the GS300 and ONLY iridium plugs for the GS400. I mean, it even has an "X" through the single ground. The twin ground platinum plugs are pricy, $60 for 6 NGK ($1 each), or $45 for 6 DENSO. There are countless forums suggesting the using of single ground iridium plugs for the GS300, so hopefully this can help some people out. Heck, even O'Reilly's doesn't know that you need twin ground, they offer you single ground. I know it is pricey but my MPG went from 16 combined city/highway, to 24 combined city/highway after the switch, highway is at 75-80 mph 90% of the time. Not only this, but the new plugs gave me more HP/TQ, way more punchy, fixed a stutering problem I had around 35-45 mph, and the other plugs caused my alternator to fail prematurely. All things that I had written off because of the age of my car. After the experience with the new plugs, and what the owners manual had to say, safe to say I won't be using anything else.

NGK Plugs (what I use): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DENSO Plugs (have not used): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AESB9ZS...S8YPCYJW&psc=0

Sorry to hear that it took you so long to realize this. Hopefully, you will see a difference, but even if you don’t just know that now you’re using the correct part now.
Old 11-19-18, 01:02 PM
LSUGS430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pjvarino, that PDF file doesn't load up anymore. Would you happen to have another link?
Old 11-19-18, 01:04 PM
LSUGS430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pjvarino
Here is the Lexus Repair manual pages for the Ignition System/Spark Plug overview...
Hope this helps.
This link doesn't work anymore. Is there another one?

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Change for GS300