Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Apexi SAFC-II tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-04, 04:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default Apexi SAFC-II tips?

Hi guys. Now I have the SAFC-II installed I'm crawling through the manual which is a pretty challenging translation from Japanese. I'm going to a dyno shop tomorrow afternoon to hopefully get the car tuned with it, but if anyone here has any tips and tricks on the best way to use it, let me know. Thanks.
Old 02-16-04, 10:13 AM
Lexotec
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought me one as well.

Can U please share your data when your are done?
baseline dyno's and final dyno's

I'm just waiting for my headers and full exhaust, then I will go and try tuning.

What are U working with right now?
Old 02-16-04, 05:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Hi Lexotec.

I have an L-Tuned exhaust and a K&N FIPK2 intake. I had the SAFC-II installed on Friday and tonight I went to a dyno shop (www.batlground.com) to have it tuned. I didn't get an O2 bung welded in - I was a bit nervous about going through all that plus it would have taken a while so we just went with a tail pipe sensor but it worked out fine.

The baseline dyno was 246.8 RWHP and 249.6 RWTQ. It showed the higher rpms, 4000 and up were running rich, we dialed in the SAFC-II to lessen the fuel up there. A couple more runs and we'd dialed it back 6-10% from 4000 and up. Final #'s were 250.9RWHP and 263.4RWTQ. Since to me the torque is more important than the HP I was very pleased with bump (14lb/ft to the rear wheels). This should equate to better passing power and quicker 1/4 although I've never been to a track (yet).

Hope that helps.
Old 02-16-04, 05:10 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Question

Paul you should be able to feel that difference in the seat......do you?
Old 02-16-04, 05:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Letsride
Paul you should be able to feel that difference in the seat......do you?
I only drove it home tonight and didn't really mash it. Since the ECU had been reset too it felt peppier anyway as is often the case. After a point it become difficult to really wring out a car without getting to triple digits pretty quick. Blasting away from a light will be fun soon... hopefully one day I'll get to a strip and do some 1/4's.
Old 02-17-04, 12:02 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bit: Those are great numbers... Good work! Your install looks fantastic..
Old 02-17-04, 06:29 AM
jucee187
Lead Lap

BITKahuna - what engine mods have you got done?

did you install the SAFC II yourself?
Old 02-17-04, 06:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by jucee187
BITKahuna - what engine mods have you got done?
Just an intake and exhaust.

did you install the SAFC II yourself?
I installed the control panel in the ashtray and I had a local shop do the wiring into the engine ECU. The hard part there doesn't seem to be the soldering, but getting the wiring through the firewall near the brake cylinder.
Old 02-17-04, 08:17 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Question Hey Bit...

Got a couple of questions for ya:
1. Was the increase across the RPM range or was that just the peak HP and torque numbers? Pretty decent increase for the torque especially if it was across a broad RPM range

2. Doesn't the ECU tend to compensate for any changes you might make with the S-AFC? Or does the ECU "learn" to accomodate the changes you make with the S-AFC?
Old 02-17-04, 08:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I don't have the chart in front of me, but there was certainly an increase across the rpm range above 4000.

As far as the stock ECU eventually compensating, I don't know.
Old 02-18-04, 11:19 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bit or anyone can you break this down for me a bit in English! I have seen these things but dont know waht they are for . what does this do? what are the benefits? and which to get?
Old 02-18-04, 05:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The Apexi SAFC and SAFC-II units can monitor and modify signals to the car's engine ECU. My SAFC-II can monitor throttle input, air flow, revs, battery, and the knock sensor. It can modify the airflow signal the engine ECU 'sees' so that it will put in less or more fuel than normal. When we did a baseline dyno we could see the Lexus ecu for some reason puts in a higher ratio of fuel to air (richer) above 4000 rpm than below. It could have something to do with my not having a stock intake or exhaust, I don't know. I believe the technician adjusted the SAFC-II to tell the engine it was getting less air than it thought it was from (4000rpm and up - you can make adjusts in steps across the rpm range) so it would put in less fuel. We did this and the fuel/air ratio was flat across the rpm range and I also got more power.

As a side benefit my exhaust tips shouldn't be so black, hehe.

Hope that helps, and I hope I've got it right!

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-18-04 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-21-04, 05:48 PM
roenick7
Driver

SAFC********READ*************

This reduce fuel only by a certain percent. Anything over an intake or exhaust you will need to ditch it and get something more powerfull. (Split Second in Irvine CA. OR have the ecu piggy back with the SRT items). After spending over 3000.00 tuning at SP engineering;Gt Motorsports;Area 51; UPRD the SAFC is worthless if you mod anyhting over an intake/exhaust. Even tehn I would get the SRT with the piggy back and you will have great luck.

SOLD MY GS 400 ; 200 shot NOS; RMM S/C @ 9lbs; RMM DIFF with OEM GEARS; custom tranny.... WAY too many items to list.

GOT 344 RWHP C32 AMG

e-mail me @ silverman_gary@hotmail.com with questions I do not read these posts very often anymore.
Old 02-21-04, 08:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

roenick, I've also heard the SAFC has limitations in very high power applications, but frankly I was more interested in the 'toy/gadget' factor and monitoring capability than making a major improvement in power, so the amount I got was a welcome increase.
Old 02-22-04, 08:05 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

The S-AFC is a powerful device. I've used it on a variety of applications and although kind of basic it does allow you to reach a nice safe setting in terms of AF mixture. Personally the E-Manage is a much better unit and more expandable but you can not use it on the V8 model. The S-AFC is on my car as well. I will put the intake on next week perhaps and tune. I have a cat back exhaust but I need to find time to make my test pipes so it may be a while before I get around to installing that part of my setup. Apart from those items I'm not doing any other engine mods (unless the headers ever get made) so for me the S-AFC II is perfect.

Quick Reply: Apexi SAFC-II tips?