Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Installed New Hayden Transmission Cooler Last Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-03, 07:03 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installed New Hayden Transmission Cooler Last Weekend

Hello Everyone,

I decided to install a Hayden Transmission Cooler last Saturday. It was not really hard, but since I wanted to do it right, I took my time. I learned a few things in the process.

1. I had the fluid flow all wrong in my mind, and I am glad I took the time to investigate before I hooked it up. Pictures will be coming after the first of the year, because I know that will be the most obvious comment coming from everyone. The fluid comes to the radiator from the transmission on the line on the passenger side of the car, then goes across the radiator on the bottom to cool off. Then it returns to the transmission from the driver's side.

2. I left the original cooler connected, then added the auxillary cooler lines onto that. The outlet of the original cooler on the driver's side connects to the inlet of the new cooler, and the outlet of the new cooler connects to the original return line to the transmission.

3. The new cooler is right in the path of the air flow around the front license plate, and is really efficient. I mounted it in front of the A/C condenser.

I will say this: We have no idea of how hot this fluid gets coming out of the transmission. Let me tell you...it's hot. It is no wonder that the transmission fluid gets so dirty so soon. One can only imagine how hot this gets when we are going at high speed, or doing prolonged idling, or stop and go driving. Connected normally, and without the extra cooler, the fluid cools off somewhat leaving the radiator, but it doesn't SEEM to be enough for other than normal driving. I only wish I had a gauge to read the temperature of the fluid coming back to the transmission

I WILL say that idling really makes this stuff overly hot. If you have to idle a Iot, use your A/C to keep the fans running. I flushed my transmission fluid twice in 3000 miles, and I was amazed at how dark the fluid was in such a short period of time. I don't power brake, or overly abuse the transmission either. I ran the engine shortly with one transmission line disconnected to see the correct fluid flow, and in a matter of seconds it dumped a LOT of fluid in my drain pan. Looks like it came from the torque converter because it didn't look that dark on the stick. I shut it down in less than 10 seconds.

After my 1000 mile trip from San Diego to San Francisco and back, I will flush this transmission fluid again, and then drop the pan and clean the screen. It seems to work fine, with no leaks anywhere.

As I said, the pictures will be posted shortly after the holidays.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL

GSEREP1

Last edited by gserep1; 12-22-03 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-22-03, 07:44 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey gserep1,

Which Hayden cooler did you get? I was just pricing some I've been looking at the 676 or 677 model. I think it'll look cool to use stainless steel braided lines on it.
Ron
Old 12-22-03, 08:47 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I THINK IT IS THE 1405

Hello,
I got a BIG cooler...(actually it was an early Christmas gift, so I could not argue). I will send pictures soon. It came with 4 plastic holders that go through the radiator and A/C condenser, and locks on the front with a plastic clip. They are hard to get through because you have to put your hand into the fan shroud and around the fan blades to reach the radiator cooling fins. DEFINITELY a job to be done with the car suspended on a lift. If I had all day I would have removed the fan shroud and fan to get access to the radiator, and the job would have been easier.

I think that the 1405 is designed for class"A" motor homes and such. I guess that if it will work on those vehicles, it will certainly work on the GS. The 675 and 677 are smaller than the 1405, and thus easier to install. I have no regrets with the big one. I live in san Diego, and after a quick romp over the Coronado bridge and stop and go traffic into the base, the trans fluid is still pretty warm even with this cooler. Toyota designed this tranmission to shift into drive as soon as possible to reduce heat. I think that "E" shifting really raises the fluid temperature, it is fun to drive that way regardless.

You are right...braided lines would look VERY good. I think I will go back and just modify mine with the braided lines, now that you mention it. I was pushed for time at the hobby shop last weekend, and had to be done by 5 pm. I'm going to work all this coming Saturday on it. so I can take my time.

I'll get some pictures this weekend and post them asap. I think these cars really need the coolers.

GSEREP1

Last edited by gserep1; 12-23-03 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-23-03, 10:04 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi gserep1,
FYI,
I think the ends on your cooler is 3/8" also, I bought some braided lines from www.Summitracing.com at a decent price. I think it was $13 for 10' of spectre magna braid and $7 for two 3/4 red/blue ends (of course you'll need 2 packs) 10' should be enough hose. It also comes in 3' & 6' hose length.