Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

PLP Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-03, 03:20 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PLP Supercharger

Any one have experience with the PLP supercharger? It is available for the GS300 (2nd. gen) and I am thinking about getting it 305hp.
They also have a Vortech intercooled one that is available for the IS that gives 330hp.
I am waiting on a reply if its available for the GS. I believe it is because when the first supercharger debuted it was only available for the IS and know its for both GS/IS.

The 305 kit peaked at 268rwhp (might be off a little bit)
The 330 kit peaked at 289rwhp (might be off alittle bit)

What do you guys think for a car that wants extra umph but not looking to break records or win evry race, just a fast comfortable sedan that surprises alot of peolpe at street lights.

Also now turbo responses about what I can do and the potential. Price is a factor and for a stage 3 and up I would just buy a different car. Even stage 2 seems a little high to me. These superchagers are decent power gains and cost less than some of you guys wheels and tires.
Old 12-19-03, 05:30 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i was car shopping I actually WANTED a 300 (lower price, insurance, etc) and i was going to do the PLP supercharger, I was actually researching it along with another member, and we never found out if the 330 one was avail for the GS. I just wanted my 300 to be as fast or a little faster than a 400 and with 268 at the wheels, thats 20-30 more than a 400, plus lighter weight!

Also the superchargers are simple bolt on affairs, thats why I wanted one!
Old 12-19-03, 07:22 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Faster than a 400 would be find with me. Car doesn't have to be super fast just quicker than it is now. I like the 400 performance and with a few bolt on along with the supercharger I should be pretty comfortable with taking most cars a strret lights. Not trying to race AMGs or M's just a fast comfortable 4-door.
I am thinking about these bolt ons along with the supercharger.
1. Torque converter
2. PLP air intake
3. Apex cat back exhaust
4. XERD headers
5. XERD race pipe
6. Denso Iridium spark plugs
Old 12-19-03, 08:02 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DGOT20s
When i was car shopping I actually WANTED a 300 (lower price, insurance, etc) and i was going to do the PLP supercharger, I was actually researching it along with another member, and we never found out if the 330 one was avail for the GS. I just wanted my 300 to be as fast or a little faster than a 400 and with 268 at the wheels, thats 20-30 more than a 400, plus lighter weight!

Also the superchargers are simple bolt on affairs, thats why I wanted one!
I was going the same route when I bought mine in January of this year. I was looking at the 300's with the idea that eventually I would go F/I with it. Ended up getting the 400 anyway and F/Iing that.

Can you guys put up a link to the PLP chargers you're talking about?

BTW, a S/C may be bolt-on but believe me it's far from simple. It is better than the install on a turbo though, so I guess you're right.
Old 12-19-03, 08:14 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Here is the link for the kit http://prolexperformance.com/nav/fproducts.html

Last edited by APLUS; 12-19-03 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-19-03, 09:22 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Just got a reply back from Mike at PLP. No Vortech kit (330hp.) just the 305kit. Oh well I guess I will get that. By the way if any engine gurus here can I add a intercooler to my car if I get this kit and increase performance? I know the intercooler by its self doesn't add performance just keep everything running cooler which translates into faster response and quicker times. I contacted Blitz and they have a intercooler kit for the GS and say it wil bolt up. Just need to do a simple plumbing adjustment, because of the left hand drive right hand drive thing.
Old 12-19-03, 09:22 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been looking into this as well...seems like a straight forward bolt-on (easier then a turbo) and gets good results...but the difference between the two s/c's are 20 horses for a $1000 bucks...and not sure if they have done the fitment for the vortex s/c for a GS300 yet? I would imagine that it wouldn't be too difficult.

The thought is...do you want to drop $5K into a GS300 for just slightly better numbers then a stock GS400? Or just get the GS400 and go from there?

I bought the GS300 'cause I drive waaaaaayyyyy tooooooo fast...and knew that I would exploit the hell out of that extra power...and I have no need for tickets (knock on wood). I crave for more power, but at that cost, it would be easier to just sell the GS300 and buy a GS400...and you get to keep most of your mods :-)
Old 12-19-03, 09:51 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by APLUS
Just got a reply back from Mike at PLP. No Vortech kit (330hp.) just the 305kit. Oh well I guess I will get that. By the way if any engine gurus here can I add a intercooler to my car if I get this kit and increase performance? I know the intercooler by its self doesn't add performance just keep everything running cooler which translates into faster response and quicker times. I contacted Blitz and they have a intercooler kit for the GS and say it wil bolt up. Just need to do a simple plumbing adjustment, because of the left hand drive right hand drive thing.
I think the Vortech kit should work. I just think Mike has not gotten an opportunity to test fit and make any adjustments to it yet to be able to sell it. Although both kits are tuned pretty conservatively, I believe he mentioned that the Powerdyne is near as far as you can take it. With the Vortech, you can get more agressive. He just have not tested (thoroughly) the Vortech at higher than 7psi but it should be able to take more.

Just relaying what I know about the kits. Although I looked (am looking) into it, I am not completely up on F/I science yet so you can ask Mike more about it. OR the F/I experienced can chime in. Basically, the cost for the Vortech is not for the 20HP but for the potential that it enables the owner.
Old 12-19-03, 10:16 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

What do you mean by potential? Please enlighten me. Do you mean more psi? Not to up on the tuning of f/i applications. Would like some pointers. Really going to buy the kit.

Yeah some where telling me to sell the GS300 and get a GS400 but that isn't really feasible in my case. With a 1999 GS300 with 100,000k I won't get much and the insurance for me on the GS400 would rape me. 22years old with a serious accident and 2 tickets.

Also having a car that is tuned and customed is just so much more fun.
Old 12-19-03, 10:21 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Aplus, please keep me updated on the info your receive.
I am also very interested!!!!
Old 12-19-03, 10:26 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Wrong. A well-installed intercooler makes 20-30hp on a supra engine without anything else. Colder air translates into denser air, which in turn creates more power.

On another note, the Blitz intercooler kit for the Aristo requires quite a bit of hacking and cutting into your front bumper/brace/chassis. Check out SOARISTO's website for more info. He has installed one and was disappointed by its install process. Some of the supra guys in supraforums.com also have problems with theirs.

Now, you should get the Trust (greddy) V-SPL intercooler kit or the more expensive HKS type-S kit (which is what I have).....
Old 12-19-03, 11:26 AM
Aristor
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the Greddy V-SPL on my car, I could feel a big difference even running my car at 0.9 bar and lots of torque.

btw Jon is right with the factory bumper you'll need to mod and cut the inside of the bumper to fit the pipings in.

Last edited by Aristor; 12-19-03 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-19-03, 11:36 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

I'm with Jon on this.

The intercooler does add power by cooling the charge substantially. You will experience pressure drop with the intercooler and how much depends on the efficiency of the intercooler used. I have a Spearco piece which seems to do it's job just fine. I'm not sure how much pressure drop there is on mine though. I would guess about a lb which to me is negligeable because the gains from the cooler charge outweigh the pressure drop two fold.

As for the install, I can tell you from experience that there is no direct bolt on that is going to be installed like you guys are thinking. In other words, easy plug and play. As Jon stated, you will probably have to cut and custom fit any intercooler on the GS's. On mine, we had to cut part of the bumper support in order to make it fit properly. It's definetly not a job for the shade tree mechanic to do properly. It's not rocket science, but it takes some skill to do right.

As for potential: You really should look at it from the perspective of what YOU are going to eventually do. In other words, just because the charger can go up to 20 psi it does not mean that YOU will take it up to 20 psi. Even if you do want 20 psi, you will have to plan for substantial upgrades to atleast the fuel system if not the engine too. So, if you're not prepared to drop another chunk of change to get there....why bother? If you're only gonna run what the system is designed to do, stay there. Spend the money on other upgrades for your car like some kind of fuel management to properly tune the system, gauges, injectors, etc.

On the other hand, if you're planning on building a monster....well, absolutely you should spend the extra money for the system which can get you there w/o upgrades.

For those that don't already know: Every F/I setup is going to require more than what comes in the box. How much is usually up to you, but that is also going to limit your output power. So you have to settle the balance between budget and performance. Life sucks that way don't it?????
Old 12-19-03, 11:41 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

...insurance for me on the GS400 would rape me. 22years old with a serious accident and 2 tickets.

Also having a car that is tuned and customed is just so much more fun.
I can understand that...I just don't really think about insurance too much as a deciding factor in purchasing a car...not that I don't think about it...just that I will get what I want...at your age, be glad that you got a Lexus! hahaha...I wish I had a Lexus when I was 22! I wish I had something better than a Honda at that age (though I did rebuild a Jeep CJ5 - that POS sure looked good but was a constant problem)...LOL!

Neo - did Mike at PLP try to get more psi out of the PowerDyne S/C? or is it maxed out at 7? Do you think that adding an intercooler would add any significant performance gains to this setup?

I would love to get the S/C, but it would cost me twice as much since I would have to get my wife something of equivalent value just to appease her...LOL! It pays to be single...somethimes
Old 12-19-03, 12:14 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by KVA

I would love to get the S/C, but it would cost me twice as much since I would have to get my wife something of equivalent value just to appease her...LOL! It pays to be single...somethimes
Boy do I know THAT feeling.....

Quick Reply: PLP Supercharger